Summer Travel Plans?

I know travel is taboo for some people because of COVID so I hope I am not offending anyone. Most countries around the world are slowly opening up access to vaccinated tourist and my Wife and I are finally starting to think about leaving the US at some point (woohoo!).

We have a 9-month-old so our options are limited. We are thinking of planning a trip sometime around September during the shoulder season. Maybe Spain, Italy, or France.

Any suggestions on where to go with a 1-year-old? Anyone else have any trips planned or booked?

Second half of May in Flagler Beach FL.

Santa Fe, Seattle or some other hipster city with my kids in July. Haven't seen them in over 18 months.

Greece in September.

Cuba November.

If it's possible to do so.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Habana Mike said:

Second half of May in Flagler Beach FL.

Santa Fe, Seattle or some other hipster city with my kids in July. Haven't seen them in over 18 months.

Greece in September.

Cuba November.

If it's possible to do so.

Hoping you find your way to Chicago again as well. 

• Like 2

Key West last week of May. We would like to travel overseas late summer early Fall, but will probably wait until next year. My 50th is in October and Oktoberfest in Germany was the plan, but of course its too late to schedule that. I want to do something though.

We cancelled Portugal and Key West last year.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Nothing planned at this point. Don’t miss the 60 flights a year for work but do miss the vacations. Missed three trips to Havana in the last year and miss the vacations to discover new cities or revisit favorite ones with my wife.

I think it will be fall before I’m going anywhere. Hope I’m wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eyes on the prize for Fall.

Not trying to take on any extra adventure just because some South/Central American countries are letting in vaxxed. Although it is very tempting.

Cuba in November. We shall see how that goes for Los Dos Yumas. 

KISS principle here. St. Augustine end of June. 24 of us. Lord help me. 😂

I kid. We all enjoy each other and my sons in laws enjoy raiding my humidors. 
I do too to be honest. I can’t take them with me. Damnit. LOL

key west near the end of the summer, just me and that female that complains “ another coolidor?”  What’s her name again? Oh yea, NM.

I don’t know where you’re from, if you live the mountains a beach area like Florida is nice.  If you’re from an area where it’s warmer most of the year, check out the mountains like Colorado and Montana.  

As for me I’m in Michigan, I don’t travel in summer as this is the only good time to be here!  Need to take advantage.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, mprach024 said:

I don’t know where you’re from, if you live the mountains a beach area like Florida is nice.  If you’re from an area where it’s warmer most of the year, check out the mountains like Colorado and Montana.  

As for me I’m in Michigan, I don’t travel in summer as this is the only good time to be here!  Need to take advantage.  

I'm in Los Angeles. It is warm most of the year, but I still do enjoy beach vacations. We have a few potential ideas that we've been thinking about as a starting point (maybe Cabo, Hawaii, or Florida) to see how we handle it with the little one. If all goes well hopefully we can plan a longer trip with him towards the tail end of summer/shoulder season in September.

I love Colorado in the winter (never been in the summer) and I have been wanting to visit Glacier National Park in Montana. Perhaps I can talk the wife into going 😂

10 minutes ago, jonnyfromiranny said:

I'm in Los Angeles. It is warm most of the year, but I still do enjoy beach vacations. We have a few potential ideas that we've been thinking about as a starting point (maybe Cabo, Hawaii, or Florida) to see how we handle it with the little one. If all goes well hopefully we can plan a longer trip with him towards the tail end of summer/shoulder season in September.

I love Colorado in the winter (never been in the summer) and I have been wanting to visit Glacier National Park in Montana. Perhaps I can talk the wife into going 😂

Cabo is nice, not sure with the little one just because a lot of the great things to do there probably isn’t feasible with a child.  Maui would be great with the little one.  My son has been going since he turned 1.  No problem at all there, plenty to do where the kid can tag along.  Florida is fine but if your a West coaster it’s probably just as easy to go to Hawaii, which, is much much nicer than Florida.  Florida to me is great place for a quick trip or winter getaway in Jan/February for us northerners.  In summer it’s too hot humid flat uninteresting.  No offense to the Floridians.  

7 minutes ago, mprach024 said:

Cabo is nice, not sure with the little one just because a lot of the great things to do there probably isn’t feasible with a child.  Maui would be great with the little one.  My son has been going since he turned 1.  No problem at all there, plenty to do where the kid can tag along.  Florida is fine but if your a West coaster it’s probably just as easy to go to Hawaii, which, is much much nicer than Florida.  Florida to me is great place for a quick trip or winter getaway in Jan/February for us northerners.  In summer it’s too hot humid flat uninteresting.  No offense to the Floridians.  

You just described the exact thought process/conversation we were having this week. Conclusion seems to be: Maui with the kid and maybe go to Cabo later on without the kid.

• Like 1

Oddly enough I’ve always found traveling with my kids when they were toddlers much easier than when they grew up , toddlers you just put them on the stroller and you’re good to go, so basically you can go anywhere as long as you can stand the flight time! With older kids they tend to be more of a handful and you need to keep them entertained 

I went to Portugal when my boys were toddlers and we loved it, not expensive beautiful beaches lots of nice villages you can drive to ( it can get hot in the summer though) and nice golf courses if that’s your thing 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lomey said:

My 50th is in October and Oktoberfest in Germany was the plan, but of course its too late to schedule that.

Not late or early to schedule that - Oktoberfest has been cancelled like last year ...

• Thanks 1

I booked the usual July family trip to Seville and southern Spain last December, thinking we'll be vaccinated by then, but that's looking like a 1% chance now. The kids are old enough for longer car journeys now, so I had planned to spend some time with them in Seville, show them Cordoba and maybe even Ronda and Granada.

We have a house booked in a coastal village in the south here for a week in June, Dunmore East. Inter-county travel is opening up here soon, so that looks like it'll happen. The kids like sea-swimming, surfing, so that'll be good. Then I have Havana booked for November. It looks like I'll be fully vaccinated by then, along with most Habaneros, so that still looks likely. Looking forward to getting back there. I haven't been away from Cuba this long since 2010. We may go to Spain for a week in November during mid-term break if we can't go in July, but probably Barcelona area.   

On 5/1/2021 at 8:32 AM, jonnyfromiranny said:

Any suggestions on where to go with a 1-year-old? Anyone else have any trips planned or booked?

If you're thinking of Spain with a one year old, consider Chiclana, La Barrosa beach. One of the nicest beaches in Spain. We've been going there since our kids were one and two years old. What's great about it for kids that age is the water stays very shallow for quite a way out. and there are nice beach pools when the tide goes out for a kid to roll around in. It's a sandy beach. It's very clean, the beach is cleaned every morning by tractors pulling plow type arrangements, so they basically sieve the sand. Good amenities on the beach, little kiosks selling buckets and spades, ice-cream etc. Good shops and restaurants all within walking distance. Good selection of rentals and hotels in the area and an easy drive to Jerez and Cadiz. 90 minutes by car to Gibraltar.

Beaches on the Costa del Sol (the other side of Gibraltar) can be stony. I can't think of a sandy beach on mainland Italy, mostly rocky and the water gets deep fairly quickly. Though I'm sure I'll be proved wrong. 

• Like 2

We'd normally drive to Montreal for a weekend over the summer, but who knows this summer?  I'd like to go to Israel or UAE this fall.  Wife prefers Israel, I prefer UAE (less expensive).  Either one will be fun.  Have family & friends in Switzerland I would visit if flying to Israel, but that's up in the air too.

My parents live on Cape Cod.  I don't consider going there a vacation.  Our home gardens prevent extended vacations in the summer.

We had a trip booked to Mexico last year in March which of course was cancelled.  Once we had appointments to get vaccinated we planned a trip to Hawaii for June.  My daughter (16), wife, and me have all had both Pfizer jabs.  We've just have to keep our son (13) away from his friends for another month because Hawaii requires a negative COVID test 72 hours before arrival.  Fingers crossed.

13 hours ago, Ryan said:

If you're thinking of Spain with a one year old, consider Chiclana, La Barrosa beach. One of the nicest beaches in Spain. We've been going there since our kids were one and two years old. What's great about it for kids that age is the water stays very shallow for quite a way out. and there are nice beach pools when the tide goes out for a kid to roll around in. It's a sandy beach. It's very clean, the beach is cleaned every morning by tractors pulling plow type arrangements, so they basically sieve the sand. Good amenities on the beach, little kiosks selling buckets and spades, ice-cream etc. Good shops and restaurants all within walking distance. Good selection of rentals and hotels in the area and an easy drive to Jerez and Cadiz. 90 minutes by car to Gibraltar.

This sounds perfect. Thanks for the recommendation. I really want to combine Madrid with some beach cities, but I know that can be tough logistically speaking.

12 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Wife prefers Israel, I prefer UAE (less expensive).

I'm partial to Israel. Been there 3 times for extended periods of time...If it were solely up to me, I'd live there :)

15 hours ago, Cigarsmoker81 said:

I went to Portugal when my boys were toddlers and we loved it, not expensive beautiful beaches lots of nice villages you can drive to ( it can get hot in the summer though) and nice golf courses if that’s your thing

Lisbon/Portugal is on my to-do list, but probably not in the cards this summer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonnyfromiranny said:

I'm partial to Israel. Been there 3 times for extended periods of time...If it were solely up to me, I'd live there :)

I am partial to Israel, but UAE would cost me a lot less.  Marriott points go way further in UAE than Israel.  Would rather live there too and may end up retiring there (Switzerland wouldn't be so bad either).  Wife likes Portugal as a retirement locale along with Israel.

• Like 1

Lots of plans in the fall, New Orleans for Halloween, LA, PALM springs Vega in December. A few trips to Nashville. 

Going to philly in a few weeks for my sons graduation. Likely a long weekend in Chicago this summer. A few weekend trips likely this summer but w a construction project underway, I need to stick close by. 

No international travel for a while. Just don’t want to risk getting stuck somewhere. Call me risk adverse. I’ve got time. 

18 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I am partial to Israel, but UAE would cost me a lot less.  Marriott points go way further in UAE than Israel.  Would rather live there too and may end up retiring there (Switzerland wouldn't be so bad either).  Wife likes Portugal as a retirement locale along with Israel.

I am curious why you would consider retiring at Ha Aretz. Yes, I am Jewish. Plus, I lived there for a year when I was seven due to my dad working for the USAF. He worked at the Technion and we lived in Haifa. My son worked in Tel Aviv for a year a few years back and following his return to the US he and I spent ten days in Tel Aviv (2016) so he could visit his friends who remained there. I love Tel Aviv and how can one not? But all that said, living there in retirement with the huge cost of living? Not for me (I don't think). Where in Israel do you have in mind?

My wife and I have not travel abroad since the pandemic. We have a trip planned and paid for to Havana in October with friends. If you consider that traveling abroad.