Padron 1964 Anniversary Maduro Diplomatico (VVRW#3)

Nice review.
Actually just ordered my first ever Padron which was a 1964 Anniversary Exclusivo Natural.
Also got a 1926 belicosos.

I read lots of good reviews of the 1964 and 1926, so I expect I will enjoy them

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Padron anniversario's age very well.  They are one of the best cigars out there.  My only complaint of them is that they are often very loose draws.  You often need to make the smallest cut (smaller than a small punch) to make it work.

• Like 1

Just now, Monterey said:

Padron anniversario's age very well.  They are one of the best cigars out there.  My only complaint of them is that they are often very loose draws.  You often need to make the smallest cut (smaller than a small punch) to make it work.

I'm very curious about what you think changes as they age. It's possible this one cigar was destined to be a bit worse than others because of natural variation, but as the oldest one I've smoked so far I found the dark cocoa notes to be far weaker than in previous younger smokes. I've got one more from the five pack, and I was planning on buying a 25 box of the Exclusivo (same ring gauge but shorter length, similar flavor profile) afterwards but given the pace at which I smoke, I'm worried that the cocoa will age out before I even put a dent in the box.

Good to know they age well.
If I like the ones I bought I will get some more to set aside for aging and see how they go.
Fortunately, I prefer a pretty open draw, so that shouldn't be an issue for me

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The Padron is one of the most consistent even burning cigar I’ve ever enjoyed. Love both the nat and Maduro 64 anniversary.

Chocolate doesn't age out of them.  The 1926 ages better/longer than the 64, but I prefer the 64.   The 26 can be very strong fresh.  When I speak of age, I mean shorter term age.  I find in general, non-cubans age poorly.  So when I say it ages well, I can expect this cigar to be still great 4-5 years down the road.  But I aim for 2-3 years.   Beyond that, I have no idea.  I smoked an aged Opus X over the weekend.  Probably 5 years old, it tasted like a well aged (7+ years) Cohiba.  It was phenomenal.  Most of my non-cubans I smoke within the year I buy, where my Cubans aren't touched for 4+ years.  YMMV.

As to what I get from a 1964 aged, just more complex.  The sweetness seems to blend well.  Young I get more dominate chocolate.  With some age, I get more of a chocolate cake taste.  With white frosting.  Ages to a very dessert like taste. 

As to which one specifically, I tend to gravitate towards the 1964 diplomatico.  Last year I had the TAA46  1926, but I had to age it for 3 years as it was too strong before.  Ruined the cigar.  After 3 years the strength faded and the sweet flavors took over.. 

@smbauerllc @philipl

• Like 1