Question for the watch guys

Hi all, looking for suggestion for a new men watch, 3,000us or less. Been looking at Oris, I like a dark blue dial, I don't dive, I hunt and flyfish, open to metal or leather bracelet, prefer battery models.

Thank you in advance for your input and have a great day!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here are all my Seiko. These include mechanical automatics, quartz, solar, and hybrid Spring Drive movements.

I agree on the blue. I was, however, very happy with the softer colors of the LHD. 

This Seiko, for example, has a lovely blue dial, is solar/battery, GPS time setting, and titanium. Lists for $500 under your cap. It is the SSH065. I own the white-dial SSH063 and love it! For that ma

Well let's see. That means you have at least 12,007 choices. :D

Oris make fine watches and I've owned the BC3 aviator. However, I'm a dyed in the wool diver guy.

That said, what is it that you want the watch for?

• casual v business
  • true dress watch v sport
  • time only, time and date, or an additional "complication"
  • rugged for use in the field v desk/couch diving
  • do you want to spend $3k or would you spend $1k or $2k if the right watch came along?
  • battery means quartz and this limits the range of what you can find, however, go solar quartz and you'll access some interesting stuff
  • do you want a mainline, established brand or would you consider a smaller boutique or kickstarterish maker?

I don't know if you're a member of the WatchUSeek watch forums, but that would be a stellar place to ask and after 2 pages or less, the guys there are very likely to have helped you zero in on at least three strong candidates.

This Seiko, for example, has a lovely blue dial, is solar/battery, GPS time setting, and titanium. Lists for $500 under your cap. It is the SSH065. I own the white-dial SSH063 and love it! For that matter, Seiko have fantastic quartz and solar quartz watches of many different styles.

SeikoAstronSSH065.png

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GolfT3 said:

Not sure where these will ultimately retail but absolute top notch build and finish quality, ace quartz movement, and dark blue dial https://www.grand-seiko.com/us-en/collections/sbgp015g

Great pick. Grand Seiko have some really lovely quartz watches. Mostly dressier stuff. My choice in their sporting line is the SBGN005 GMT quartz. Lists at $3.2k but you can figure 10-15% dealer discount and that puts you right in range.

GrandSeikoSBGN0055.png

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ginseng said:

Well let's see. That means you have at least 12,007 choices. :D - Hence my request from more experienced fellows 😜

Oris make fine watches and I've owned the BC3 aviator. However, I'm a dyed in the wool diver guy.

That said, what is it that you want the watch for?

• casual v business
  • true dress watch v sport
  • time only, time and date, or an additional "complication"
  • rugged for use in the field v desk/couch diving
  • do you want to spend $3k or would you spend $1k or $2k if the right watch came along?
  • battery means quartz and this limits the range of what you can find, however, go solar quartz and you'll access some interesting stuff
  • do you want a mainline, established brand or would you consider a smaller boutique or kickstarterish maker?

Thanks for the quick follow-up

- Time and date would be nice

- would be a daily

- would see rugged use

- up to 3,000 but open to options

- I had to google solar quartz :) but sure, I'm open to it

- I would prefer an established brand

Cheers!

As per @Ginseng, you can’t go wrong with anything from Seiko or Grand Seiko. Options at a lot of different price points/styles and all will last a lot longer than any of us will be around. Also respected in the watch world enough to hold their value well if that is of concern to you.

Great, of the watches that have been posted or linked so far, tell us what you like or dislike about each model, if anything?

Oh, and if possible, measure the circumference of your wrist (at your normal watch wearing spot) with a piece of string and report that. The options for a modest 6.5" circumference wrist (such as mine) are not completely overlapping with those for a robust 8" wrist.

I'm looking at picking this up for my old man. Rado Captain Cook in bronze.

Captain Cook Automatic Bronze R32504207

He has been on a watch buying spree the last couple of months, while I took in his Omega Planet Ocean for repairs, picking up a Sinn 104 St Sa RS Special Edition (only 200 pieces available), Fortis Classic Cosmonaut P.M., and a Seiko Presage Sharp Edge. And he pinched my Casio DW-6600 after I just replaced the case!

watches1.jpg.a65eb58c17bed79c1f4b279dc6c0cdbb.jpg

• Like 2

Love that Sinn! Such a great under the radar brand with some serious tool watch tech. Radio nothing to sleep on either...

1 minute ago, Fuzz said:

I'm looking at picking this up for my old man. Rado Captain Cook in bronze.

Captain Cook Automatic Bronze R32504207

He has been on a watch buying spree the last couple of months, while I took in his Omega Planet Ocean for repairs, picking up a Sinn 104 St Sa RS Special Edition (only 200 pieces available), Fortis Classic Cosmonaut P.M., and a Seiko Presage Sharp Edge. And he pinched my Casio DW-6600 after I just replaced the case!

watches1.jpg.a65eb58c17bed79c1f4b279dc6c0cdbb.jpg

Nice collection, man. I would have suggested Fortis or Sinn but alas, quartz. I would suggest taking a look at Citizen. There are too many models to snap, but they are renown for their Eco-Drive quartz movement and titanium hard coating.

Thanks for the input gents, would never have thought of Seiko.

Will need to research each link provided.

I looked at the Monta and I'm not a big fan of the rounded soft edges

The Grand Seiko seems nice, I am not sure about the red accents, will need to think about it

The Seiko seems nice but not sure about the GPS function. Any real-life experience with this function? Love/hate?

Oh and there's Longines. Lovely watches with classics in the line including quartz such as these: The Conquest and HydroConquest diver. I recommend checking their site out as they have many lines. 

LonginesConquest.png

LonginesHydroConquest.png

I remain a huge Omega fan. Two 60’s era seamasters and an 8 year old speedmaster. The more recent one is my daily watch and has been incredibly durable. Lots of great options on the secondary market in like new condition. 
i ended up collecting the movements that have gone to space in the Apollo mission, the Omega speedmaster and the Bulova accutron, also 60’s era.   The Accutron keeps time via a tuning fork, which is fun. 
Watches are a deep and expensive hole. Beware. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ginseng said:

Nice collection, man. I would have suggested Fortis or Sinn but alas, quartz. I would suggest taking a look at Citizen. There are too many models to snap, but they are renown for their Eco-Drive quartz movement and titanium hard coating.

I never take mine off and I hunt and flyfish and play golf with it.  I have beat the crap out of it and it won't stop working or break.  I love not ever having to change a battery. 

• Like 1

OP mentioned that he preferred battery/quartz models so I've been zeroing on those thus far.

Question for the OP, why do you prefer a quartz? For the accuracy? For the set/forget ease of not having to keep it wound? Perceived ruggedness advantage?

For me, it's accuracy first, then low-maintenance second. Both are top notch with quartz models. That said, as you may have found, a great many more possibilities open up if you don't mind a mechanical movement. I own both types and enjoy them all.

I feel additional ruggedness is provided when the side screw is positioned between solid bumpers. I have ruined a watch in the past by snagging the adjustment screw and accidentally pulling it out... Opinions?