Thanks for the quick follow-up

- Time and date would be nice
- would be a daily
- would see rugged use
- up to 3,000 but open to options
- I had to google solar quartz :) but sure, I'm open to it
- I would prefer an established brand

Cheers!

Hmm, rugged use. The standard bearer for rugged quartz watches is without a doubt Casio G-Shock. Believe it or not, they can exceed $3k on the high end. Check out the MT-G and MR-G lines here: Casio G-Shock

CasioGShock.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here are all my Seiko. These include mechanical automatics, quartz, solar, and hybrid Spring Drive movements.

I agree on the blue. I was, however, very happy with the softer colors of the LHD. 

This Seiko, for example, has a lovely blue dial, is solar/battery, GPS time setting, and titanium. Lists for $500 under your cap. It is the SSH065. I own the white-dial SSH063 and love it! For that ma

12 minutes ago, Jeanff said:

I feel additional ruggedness is provided when the side screw is positioned between solid bumpers. I have ruined a watch in the past by snagging the adjustment screw and accidentally pulling it out... Opinions?

Ah, you mean crown guards. Yep, that's their function. You can see that some of my watches have them and some don't. They do provide some measure of buffer against impact but by virtue of where the crown is commonly located (between 3-4:30) winding crowns aren't likely to see a high degree of traffic. That's not to say that fluke incidents like what happened to you aren't possible. Just quite rare. Personally, If I were concerned about damaging the winding crown, I'd seriously consider a G-Shock. Otherwise, crown guards do provide some protection.

It's much more common, though still uncommon overall, to damage the winding crown while using it, pulling it out to set time, etc.

6 minutes ago, Jeanff said:

That is a bit too flashy for me 😅

Hah, yeah. Me too. And a bit to big for me so I declined. 

Hard to argue with the Tudor recommendations.

Ever looked at Sinn?  German manufacturer, has always been on my radar but I've never pulled the trigger.  They have some very nice blue dials, should come in under $3k.  Watchbuys.com is the only place to get them as far as I know.  Often sold out, but restock pretty regularly.

SI-468.jpg

th?id=OIP.49wEO411UuUCenGvlslXEgHaFj&w=2

SI-470.jpg

SI-565.jpg

• Like 1

I have an Oris Big Pilot with the dark blue dial.  41 mm ,40 hour reserve.  It's a great looking, everyday watch.  High quality also.

5 hours ago, Jeanff said:

Hi all, looking for suggestion for a new men watch, 3,000us or less. Been looking at Oris, I like a dark blue dial, I don't dive, I hunt and flyfish, open to metal or leather bracelet, prefer battery models.

Thank you in advance for your input and have a great day!

Would suggest looking into Tag Carrera and Omega Speedmaster. Not the most original choices but both should be in your price range, are automatic which in my view whenever you start spending ‘000s + is a must, have timeless design, flawless look for casual or formal, can go for leather or metal belt, and regardless is fantastic, and your kids will inherit them and still love them too. 

just need some digging to find the right design below 3 grand but can be done.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Edicion said:

Tudor. Tudor. Tudor. You should be able to negotiate it down to sub-3K.

Classic, Swiss, high quality, good second hand retail value. A winner for the ages. 

I'm a fan of the Black Bay series. 

Tudor-HeritageBlackBay-79250BM-174494-1-210426-112009.jpg

I almost bought the Tudor Pelagos.... until I saw it in the flesh. The blue was too wishy washy in person for my liking.

Amazon.com: Tudor Pelagos Blue Dial Automatic Mens Watch 25600TB-BLRS: Tudor:  Watches

• Like 1

I would look at models for Ball, Mido, or Certina.  Pre-owned watches are another area you may consider.  Like New in Box "LNIB" is virtually a new watch.

Perhaps you could post some of your 'dream watches' without price restriction to illustrate what kind of watch would be your ideal?   I would consider what functions and utility the watch must perform first.  Do you need the date, day, 2nd time zone, or all three?  Does it need to be rugged, does it need a metal bracelet?  Can it be quartz?  Does it need a rotating bezel?  Do you need a chronometer?

A watch is an instrument first and foremost.  Do you want something that is trendy or classic?  Something that is unique or an homage to something else?

33 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

I almost bought the Tudor Pelagos.... until I saw it in the flesh. The blue was too wishy washy in person for my liking.

Amazon.com: Tudor Pelagos Blue Dial Automatic Mens Watch 25600TB-BLRS: Tudor:  Watches

I agree on the blue. I was, however, very happy with the softer colors of the LHD. 

TPelagosIMG_4883.jpg

• Like 3

13 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I would look at models for Ball, Mido, or Certina.  Pre-owned watches are another area you may consider.  Like New in Box "LNIB" is virtually a new watch.

Perhaps you could post some of your 'dream watches' without price restriction to illustrate what kind of watch would be your ideal?   I would consider what functions and utility the watch must perform first.  Do you need the date, day, 2nd time zone, or all three?  Does it need to be rugged, does it need a metal bracelet?  Can it be quartz?  Does it need a rotating bezel?  Do you need a chronometer?

A watch is an instrument first and foremost.  Do you want something that is trendy or classic?  Something that is unique or an homage to something else?

Will look into these manufacturers. I am still educating myself about what is available out there so learning curve :)

Looking to buy something that will work for me, reliable, not to be resold. I am open to pre-owned, ideally metal bracelet for wear resistance. Minimal functions including time/date but open to more. It can be quartz, bezel don't need to rotate. I'm old fashion-ish, into dependable tools

My long term daily is a quartz Bulova rectangular blue bezel piece which has been dependable but not water proof

30 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

How about these?

Sinn 556 B

SINN_556IB_F_LBB.jpg

Mühle-Glashütte ProMare Go M1-42-32-NB

Muehle_ProMare_Go_M1-42-32-NB.jpg

Mühle-Glashütte 29er Casual

Muehle-Glashuette-29er-Casual-LB.jpg

Tutima Aero Club Blue

Tutima-Watches-Aero-Club-6105-54-02.jpg.18893fd08f99c0b3e2dda43238ba9f4b.jpg

The Mühle-Glashütte 29er Casual with a metal bracelet would be interesting

The Tutima Aero Club Blue seems interesting, just no crown guards...

25 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

How about these?

Sinn 556 B

SINN_556IB_F_LBB.jpg

Mühle-Glashütte ProMare Go M1-42-32-NB

Muehle_ProMare_Go_M1-42-32-NB.jpg

Mühle-Glashütte 29er Casual

Muehle-Glashuette-29er-Casual-LB.jpg

Tutima Aero Club Blue

Tutima-Watches-Aero-Club-6105-54-02.jpg.18893fd08f99c0b3e2dda43238ba9f4b.jpg

All great German made watches.  Muhle and Tutima are great values.  Sinn is great too.

I like the Ball Roadmaster Icebreaker and Roadmaster Skipper, Trainmaster Manufacture 80 hours, Fireman Victory, no crown guards though,...

Mido are almost all automatic models

Certina are nice, the DS Action Day-Date seems interesting

Thanks for the suggestions!

9 hours ago, mprach024 said:

That is my speed right there, that’s lovely.  

A friend of mine had the SAR Mühle about a decade ago.  Was cool watch.  I think had a sandblasted finish.  Very rugged.

5 hours ago, Fuzz said:

What about Glycine watches?.

Combat 6 Classic 43

GL0102.png

Combat Sub 42

GL0077.png

My cousin use to live down the street from their factory.  His buddy was working there for a bit.  Another great value brand.