Question for the watch guys

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here are all my Seiko. These include mechanical automatics, quartz, solar, and hybrid Spring Drive movements.

I agree on the blue. I was, however, very happy with the softer colors of the LHD. 

This Seiko, for example, has a lovely blue dial, is solar/battery, GPS time setting, and titanium. Lists for $500 under your cap. It is the SSH065. I own the white-dial SSH063 and love it! For that ma

I like the Glycine Combat 6 Classic 43, not too expensive as well, will look into it, Thanks for the suggestion!

Quite a challenge to select a brand/model, seems most which catch my eye are automatic watches... will have to ponder.

To the regular users of automatic watches out there, how practical are they for daily use?

What would be the benefits/drawbacks associated with automatics?

I like the Glycine Combat 6 Classic 43, not too expensive as well, will look into it, Thanks for the suggestion!
Quite a challenge to select a brand/model, seems most which catch my eye are automatic watches... will have to ponder.
To the regular users of automatic watches out there, how practical are they for daily use?

Daily use is good as it keeps them running.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Jeanff said:

As LLC mentioned, if you were them daily, no problem. However, if you only wear them occasionally, then you have to reset the time and wind them up when putting them on. For me, that's just part of the routine. Even when I wore my Omega Aqua Terra daily, I would still wind it up every couple of weeks. One thing that should be noted, if you are desk bound, you may not wind up the watch due to decreased movement.

Also, the cost to maintain an automatic is a lot higher than a quartz watch. Just like getting your car serviced, you should service your automatic regularly. Oils dry up, daily bumps and knocks get them out of time, parts eventually wear out, etc. The cost to service my bro's Omega Seamaster Pro (2001 model) was AUD550.

With a quartz, you're just replacing the battery every few years (longer nowadays with lithium batteries). Due to fewer moving parts, you may only need to do maintenance once every 10 years.

I personally like automatics, especially those with see-thru back cases. Mind you, totally covered when I use a NATO strap on my watches. 😅

• Like 1

8 hours ago, slowsmoke said:

waz1010ft8024_1581532684.jpg

Tag Heuer also

If you're looking at the Tag F1, I would suggest instead the Longines Hydroconquest. Lower price, better resale value (ie holds value better), better water resistance, more prestigious watchmaker name (according to some), comes in both automatic and quartz flavours (ditto for the Tag).

44.00 mm Stainless steel case with Sunray blue dial and Stainless steel strap

I personally like the feel of the bezel on the Longines, than the Tag. The texture is more to my liking, and the clicks feel a bit more precise.

• Thanks 1

As far as daily use of mechanical watches goes, I’d say there’s not any real difference to a quartz watch from the user perspective. Especially if it’s an automatic and it’s your only watch that you wear almost every day.

Servicing is usually more expensive on a mechanical movement than on a quartz movement (yes, a quality quartz movement requires service other than a battery change as well). And servicing on a mechanical movement needs to happen more often, although many service intervals for mechanical movements are being extended to 10 years due to better tolerances and modern oils used.

From personal experience, you can absolutely wear a mechanical watch everyday without having to worry about it. After all, before the 70s, everyone did. And I am by no means easy on my watches, but I’m yet to destroy one. 

In conclusion: I own a few quartz/solar quartz watches, but most of my watches are mechanical (be it handwound or automatic). From Seiko/Orient/G-Shock to much more high end. I use them all the same and haven’t really noticed any difference in use, as far as durability goes. 

42 minutes ago, Jeanff said:

Thanks for the suggestion Fuzz, I may have found a fitting candidate 😅

Your opinions are welcome!

Capture.JPG

That is an excellent watch! The VHP is extremely accurate, with a deviation of +/-5 seconds per year. It has a couple of interesting features:

• Fast hour changing for daylight saving. The smart crown allows for 1 hour change increments.
  • End of Life battery indicator (4 yr battery life). If you change the battery within 6 months of this indicator, there is no need to adjust the perpetual calendar. You can put the watch into a sleep mode.
  • Perpetual calendar
  • Has a unique shock/magnetic resistance function. If the gears get shocked too hard, it will move the hands back into their proper position. And if it detects a too strong magnetic field, it will lock the hand in position until the field intensity drops, and then adjust to the correct position.
  • Every 3 days at 3am, the watch performs a self-check.

It may not be as flashy as others, but it is a damn impressive watch.

• Like 2

Automatic watch is fine if used every day.  Different movements have different power reserves and also differ on how much spring tension they can take when winding.  Keep in mind if you buy an automatic with a lot of features (complications), the longer, more pain in the ass it is to set if it goes dead.

I wear a quartz watch the most.  It's always set and I just happen to really like this particular watch.

14 hours ago, Fuzz said:

It may not be as flashy as others, but it is a damn impressive watch.

Awesome! Not being too flashy is actually an important selection criteria for me :)

Thank you all for your suggestions, I did take the time to look up current catalogues for all the suggested manufacturers, the options are endless. Glad I could count on this great community to educate me a bit on this subject.

I visited my local independent shop and he deals with the brand, will see what price he can propose but he seemed confident on a deal. I will likely go with the 41mm, seems the best size for me when trying on a similar model in both sizes.

Cheers!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ZigZauer said:

Wife wants me to reduce my watch collection. I am sending you a message see if you are interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for offering ZigZauer, nice timepieces, just not what I'm looking for right now.

Cheers!

18 hours ago, Jeanff said:

I will likely go with the 41mm, seems the best size for me when trying on a similar model in both sizes.

Good choice 39-42 is the safest bet for rugged style watch that won't be trendy.