Habanos SA Is Doing Good While Farmers Are Ruined

6 minutes ago, Rhinoww said:

Thanks. 

this article speaks to a potential shortfall when the 20-21 crop would be rolled. Oils that be 22-23 cigars then?

Yeah a reason why I’ve loaded up on 19/20!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kaptain Karl said:

Yeah a reason why I’ve loaded up on 19/20!

Yes sir!

I have a 7-8 odd year supply and am in theory just replacing what I smoke and targets of opportunity. Haha right?  Still buying more than twice what I smoke a month. 

• Like 3

"On his farm, for example, they use fertilizers from other countries, such as China or the Netherlands." Now hold on minute! What happened to the "Cuban farmers don't have access to artificial fertilizers so they fertilize with manure the old fashioned way??? Now it turns out they DO have fertilizers and from China nonetheless? Did I miss something?

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Rhinoww said:

Thanks. 

this article speaks to a potential shortfall when the 20-21 crop would be rolled. Will that be 22-23 cigars then?

Different Primings take different amounts of time to process and ferment. We would start seeing wrappers affected by this crop in late 23, but the fillers needs another 18 or more months of processing. So it could be well into 2025 before it works its way through the system. 

10 hours ago, Enduin said:

"On his farm, for example, they use fertilizers from other countries, such as China or the Netherlands." Now hold on minute! What happened to the "Cuban farmers don't have access to artificial fertilizers so they fertilize with manure the old fashioned way??? Now it turns out they DO have fertilizers and from China nonetheless? Did I miss something?

Chemical fertilizers are definitely used, but not all the time (supply issues) and not heavily. A lot of Farmers "plan for the worst and hope for the best." That means constantly feeding your compost pile with farm scraps and animal waste, so you can give the plants some fertilizer every season. The synthetic stuff fills in the gaps, when the farmers can get there hands on it. I really have no idea of the %'s. But they vary every year. 

5 hours ago, Guybrush said:

Did anyone ever believe this story? 500 million dollars benefit but not able to provide fertilizers to boost business?

Its definitely true. That $500 million went somewhere, just not to the Farmers. The country also lost billions in tourist dollars (far more than $500 mil) so there are massive shortfalls everywhere else in their economy. They probably spent a lot of this money stocking up the "dollar stores" in Havana so that they could continue the squeeze on those citizens too.