Foulkes & Sons cigar reviews.......thoughts from non-uk members???

To borrow a culturally relevant phrase.They are not my cup of tea. I watched the clip long enough to confirm that it wasn't a Monty Pythonesque comedy bit. Then bailed on it.

If they showed up in the Southern US attired like that and with those affectatious mannerisms. We would treat them with deferential politeness until they were out of earshot. Then mock them mercilessly with great amusement. 

• Like 2

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Look, feel free to tell me to get off my high horse, but posting a thread on a public forum about cigar reviewers you don't like just so you can feel justified in calling them retards and wankers as s

Nick Foulkes (the older one), won Habanos Man of the Year for communications in 2007.  As far as I remember I haven't met him, though I've been at some of the same events as him. He is quite well

This is an interesting question as there is a weird dichotomous view of cigar smoking as on the one hand an everyman pastime and on the other hand a bit of a posh affectation. I mean Cuban cigars

9 minutes ago, TobaccoRoad said:

To borrow a culturally relevant phrase.They are not my cup of tea. I watched the clip long enough to confirm that it wasn't a Monty Pythonesque comedy bit. Then bailed on it.

If they showed up in the Southern US attired like that and with those affectatious mannerisms. We would treat them with deferential politeness until they were out of earshot. Then mock them mercilessly with great amusement. 

Thats a very fair summing up

I think the word most used to accurately describe this sort of English gentleman is "dandy". Those stocking socks sure do take the cake.

6 hours ago, La_Tigre said:

POSH was a term ascribed to the affluent who could afford to relocate to a different room on the return boat trip. Port Out Starboard Home

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

The "Port Out Starboard Home" definition by the way, is probably a myth.

Good heavens, the same view from the cabin on both legs of the journey?  How frightfully common!

35 minutes ago, TobaccoRoad said:

Yep, as a fellow Southerner of the USA, you nailed it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ryan said:

I think they're both hamming it up a little for the camera and that's probably part of their "schtick". 

Ya think? Both are wearing 3 rings on each hand, never mind the outfits. I think they'd laugh  their @#$%^ off at anyone who did not think they were hamming it up. A lot.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, joeypots said:

I think they'd laugh  their @#$%^ off at anyone who did not think they were hamming it up. A lot.

HHhhmm I think you would be surprised.    Although an author, there is a huge swathe of the socialite class, who get a long on very little other than looking the part.  i.e different or odd.       It was sort of the focus of the thread in a way.  I often find the most interesting people you meet, are not the ones wearing a monocle, that arrive on a unicycle,  but rather the unassuming types.       

Here is a slightly more serious piece on his love of watches.  same amount of rings, and Rupert the bear jacket to boot. 

2 hours ago, 99call said:

HHhhmm I think you would be surprised.    Although an author, there is a huge swathe of the socialite class, who get a long on very little other than looking the part.  i.e different or odd.       It was sort of the focus of the thread in a way.  I often find the most interesting people you meet, are not the ones wearing a monocle, that arrive on a unicycle,  but rather the unassuming types.       

Fair enough. And for sure, you never know who you're talking to. 

1 hour ago, mprach024 said:

We need an emoji stronger than “Like”

I couldn't resist.  I mean no offense to the BOTL using Woody as a handle.  My comment was just me being me :)

2 minutes ago, mprach024 said:

Lol.  I’m a Michigan boy so I was obligated to agree

I'm a Hawkeye so we can agree on this one thing I am sure :)  Schembechler was pure class!

• Like 1

I think normalising online hate speech / bullying is rather dangerous. Say what you want in private with your close friends .. not online. 

If OP was truly only asking for thoughts, he wouldn't post his own feelings along with it. Seems to me like one is trying to have the online fraternity validate their own thoughts. 

I am surprised this topic isn't banned for the same reason vendor talk is banned. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Meklown said:

I think normalising online hate speech / bullying is rather dangerous

I could also suggest your comments were dangerous, and suggesting someone is promoting bullying behaviour when they are not, is in fact the freshest, most caustic form of bullying.   But do I think you are a bully? ......no I do not.   Do I think I am a bully?.....no I do not. 

My opinion of how I perceived these guys was the foundation of the thread.  i.e. 'this is what I think, are my opinions just the product of the UK class system, or do members outside of the UK, perceive them in the same manner. 

The subject wasn't to assess whether people thought they were silly per se,  rather does this English affected cad-like behaviour infer a right or wrong sense of superiority in other parts of the world?.     For example the like of Boris Johnson is able to "um" and "ahh" is way through rambling monologues, slipping into French or Latin, and many might think he is a sparkling intellect, but I would suggest he's just mutton dressed as lamb, and I think the private school system in this country does churn out very little wheat, and a great deal of chaff. 

As I have pointed out to another on this thread, I,  as a bit of a triggered Northerner, have my opinion, and it probably counts for very little, as I was always going to find these guys irritating.  And for the language I used, stuff like "bellend" or "pointless peacocking dandies"  its hardly hate speech as you would call it.  Words like bellend in the UK, have lots of nuance, and are usually used in a very similar familiar way as "you silly bugger". 

I think the whole English eccentric gent thing usually has quite an impact overseas, rightly or wrongly, and I was just genuinely interested as to what non-UK members thought

4 hours ago, 99call said:

I think the whole English eccentric gent thing usually has quite an impact overseas, rightly or wrongly, and I was just genuinely interested as to what non-UK members thought

As an American, I also think it’s a legitimate topic of interest. Certainly the inquiry could veer into the gratuitous or bullying, but I believe the OP was careful not to cross that line. 

And I think it’s a question of perennial interest, at least in America. British accents continue to have associations with “refinement”, though even here I sense the public discriminates between “toff“ accents (Received Pronunciation) and the more “rustic” varieties. It’s part of the reason period dramas like HBO’s Rome use actors (or at least accents) from the UK.

The obverse of that “refinement” stereotype is the presumption of snobbery - and I can see playing up to that stereotype as a form of campy humor. I have no idea whether Foulkes and Sons really behave like that all the time - they might. But it might also be more a schtick for YouTube. Personally, I find it ridiculous, and couldn’t be around someone who acted like that all the time (unless they had a very good sense of humor about it). 

As for Boris, I don’t think many Americans care or even know much about him besides a general sense that he’s the “British Trump.” And, like his American counterpart, I think he’s able to get away with the faux intellect, evasive nonsense, or outright lies not because nobody notices, but because many simply don’t care. He’s considered a character who’s “shaking things up”, so instances of daft indifference to facts and integrity are “priced in” from the get go. After the May premiership, all he has to do is not look weak.

It’s sad, but it’s also a symptom seen in many modern democracies. 

On 5/9/2021 at 4:21 PM, HuffnPuffff said:

I’d end up looking like that Rage Against the Machine album cover in no time.

LOL! I've just been listening to that album recently! RATM S/T (1992). A funk metal classic.

As for Foulkes & Sons, I actually follow Nicholas Foulkes on Instagram and I'm a bit of a fan of his. He's passionate about menswear, watches, cigars etc... All things that I'm into as well. Ya know, just "living the good life"! I think he's stylish and the vids he does with his son are entertaining (if nothing else).