Foulkes & Sons cigar reviews.......thoughts from non-uk members???

Enjoyable thread (and did not hate the video).

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship,
design a building, write a sonnett, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying,
take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure,
program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects."
--Robert A. Heinlein

Always identified with the ethos inspired by that quote and, rightly or wrongly, have transferred said ethos to the British upper class. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Look, feel free to tell me to get off my high horse, but posting a thread on a public forum about cigar reviewers you don't like just so you can feel justified in calling them retards and wankers as s

Nick Foulkes (the older one), won Habanos Man of the Year for communications in 2007.  As far as I remember I haven't met him, though I've been at some of the same events as him. He is quite well

This is an interesting question as there is a weird dichotomous view of cigar smoking as on the one hand an everyman pastime and on the other hand a bit of a posh affectation. I mean Cuban cigars

Positive, enthusiastic and knowledgeable about the subject. Even more, it’s a father and son enjoying a cigar together. No matter the mannerisms or the silly clothing, isn’t this overall something to be appreciated and encouraged in this day and age?

Additionally, and to be honest a bit of a dig at some of the less charitable posts from the North here, I had the misfortune to move from one poor part of the UK to another (colliery village in Wales to a town in County Durham) when I was a teenager, and despite a lot of movement since I’ve still never found a place that was more pleased with itself and less welcoming of outsiders. I did meet some nice people and enjoyed the beautiful scenery in the 5 years I lived there, but overall the tone and demeanour of the North was pretty hostile to someone who sounded different - and certainly not posh, just different. I can’t imagine how difficult it would have been to look different as well, but I do remember endless bullying of the very few kids from ethnic minorities. Just one person’s experience, but I’d much rather spend a day with the Southern pansies. 

• Like 3

The no discussion of American politics rule should be appended to include, “nor shall the discussion of preference in British men’s hosiery, based on geographic latitude, be deemed acceptable”.

A fellow brit living overseas, I stumbled across the channel from a recommendation from a UK cigar forum.

TBH i thought it was a nice bit of comedy to go with the usual plain jane cigar reviews, I checked them out on IG to see their history and turns out this is not just an act they genuinely are like this in person which is cool.  The son works at Davidoff London store and is funny when talking about JJ fox round the corner.

I've personally not met him but was encouraged to go in to visit the store just to see how he is in real life.

The do review some great cigars and was good to get their thoughts on old cuban davidoffs.

One issue i do want to highlight, the father absolutely cremates the cigar wrappers when lighting with a spill, it's pretty funny.

(ps I'm a southern fairy...not a northern m****y)

I think there is an element of satire in these videos as watching videos of Nick with a watch maker he doesn't carry on like he does in these videos. Having said that it doesn't bother me at all, they're just having banter and trying to be entertaining.
If you hate these videos and it's because of the accent, clothes etc and not the actual content of what is being said it could possibly be to do with your own preconceived notions and prejudices more than anything else.
I find them pretty entertaining and although I'm not into luxury goods personally I do like to see a nice watch, vintage suit, cigar cutter etc and find it all quite interesting.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Onsto said:

Positive, enthusiastic and knowledgeable about the subject. Even more, it’s a father and son enjoying a cigar together. No matter the mannerisms or the silly clothing, isn’t this overall something to be appreciated and encouraged in this day and age?

Additionally, and to be honest a bit of a dig at some of the less charitable posts from the North here, I had the misfortune to move from one poor part of the UK to another (colliery village in Wales to a town in County Durham) when I was a teenager, and despite a lot of movement since I’ve still never found a place that was more pleased with itself and less welcoming of outsiders. I did meet some nice people and enjoyed the beautiful scenery in the 5 years I lived there, but overall the tone and demeanour of the North was pretty hostile to someone who sounded different - and certainly not posh, just different. I can’t imagine how difficult it would have been to look different as well, but I do remember endless bullying of the very few kids from ethnic minorities. Just one person’s experience, but I’d much rather spend a day with the Southern pansies. 

I have zero preconceived notions about British society since I'm ignorant about such things but this post points out some things that hit home with me.  I've known and met a lot of snobbish appearing people that are very humble and generous.  Some of the meanest looking people I've known turned out to be kind and sweet.  Point is, in judging people, personal experience is everything.  That said, I've got no issue with the 2 guys in the review at all.  They provided some information, joked around a little, and enjoyed a couple cigars.  Thumbs up from me

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, potpest said:

If you hate these videos and it's because of the accent, clothes etc and not the actual content of what is being said it could possibly be to do with your own preconceived notions and prejudices more than anything else

I do not hate, them or the videos.  I do find them incredibly irritating, and for me they are a bit of living illustration of the oddness of the class system of the UK.  I completely accept that I perceptions of them may be coloured by my geography and upbringing, thats completely fair for you to highlight.  but it's not my opinion that I was after, I sort of self qualified my opinion as being unimportant and coloured

What I was getting at, was the rambling, waffling, tenuous, tangential communication.   This is often a package that seems to get rubber stamped as a mark of stunning whit and intelligence in the UK, but when you remove the accent/clothes and actually analyse the content, it's actually pretty un-impressive, dull nonsense.

I'm not a football fan, but I remember Steven Gerrard getting brutally mocked about his dependance on the conversational filler "errm".  At the time the inference was he was incredibly thick.  Conversely, the upper classes pepper their communication with a huge amount of aimless conversation fillers, and the perception is, is that they are just riffling through all the stunning chambers of a brilliant mind.

Again Boris Johnson is a brilliant example of this, an increasing percentage of the UK sadly seem to be under his spell, with the belief he is some sort of covert genius.  I find it incredibly depressing. 

Again the purpose of the thread was to see if overseas members find these guys to be genuinely interesting eccentrics, or simply dull chancers. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, KavalanWhisky said:

not a northern m****y)

Can you please reveal another letter?   I enjoy learning about British (or anywhere really) culture and language.   And perhaps a consonant rather than a vowel.  They tend to be more useful.

As for the Foulkes, I wouldn’t mind if they were seated at my table at a cigar event.   But I doubt I would invite them on the road trip and to share the hotel room.

Can you please reveal another letter?   I enjoy learning about British (or anywhere really) culture and language.   And perhaps a consonant rather than a vowel.  They tend to be more useful.
As for the Foulkes, I wouldn’t mind if they were seated at my table at a cigar event.   But I doubt I would invite them on the road trip and to share the hotel room.
Nothing too untoward or exciting or original for that matter. Northern Monkey is a dated Southern slur implying that those above the Watford Gap, a geographical feature ⅓ of the way up England, are unevolved (totally misunderstanding the concept of evolution BTW).
The corresponding and counter nomenclature being Shandy Drinking Southern P**f.

Prof. Akela (BSc Hons Comparative Linguistics - Carlisle, Cumbria, T'North)

Sent by spooky action at a distance

• Like 1

Just stumbled into this thread as a friend in Hong Kong mentioned it ( and his surprise that people were still using safari suits ... ).

Watched the first minute, half a minute in between and near the end - love that people promote cigars and have knowledge, love father & son reunions, love the ashtrays at the end but seriously the guys dress taste and rings give me eye cancer and the accent ear cancer.

So, carry on sans moi 🙂

PS : Some of their dress "medicine" below.

Safari-Suit-VSS5.png.2e10852aa8167d3156596f92a31ffee0.png

440015504_safarisuit.jpg.f324d1b1c1e4e49a4974bd44b3b3829f.jpg

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, Nino said:

Just stumbled into this thread as a friend in Hong Kong mentioned it ( and his surprise that people were still using safari suits ... ).

Watched the first minute, half a minute in between and near the end - love that people promote cigars and have knowledge, love father & son reunions, love the ashtrays at the end but seriously the guys dress taste and rings give me eye cancer and the accent ear cancer.

So, carry on sans moi 🙂

PS : Some of their dress "medicine" below.

Safari-Suit-VSS5.png.2e10852aa8167d3156596f92a31ffee0.png

440015504_safarisuit.jpg.f324d1b1c1e4e49a4974bd44b3b3829f.jpg

Avoid “Fashion Shorts” and “Walk Socks” well noted. 

• 8 months later...
2 hours ago, ha_banos said:

How Foulkes and sons became the Kardashians of cigars

https://www.ft.com/content/59638139-c4c2-4c62-938f-ac3390fc206f

Lol

at the end they cut a Trini Fundadores in half.. Never wanted to slap someone so bad in my life... That's abuse pure and simple

I watch the videos and for the most part enjoy them. Sure sometimes a little corny or over the top. Nice to see a father and son share similar interests and put themselves out there. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stevenhaugen said:

They aren’t wankers, they aren’t entitled

Yeah, True "Everymen." With their $1000 lighters, $11,000 ashtrays, and $200 cigars. 

Real, Humble, Down to earth people. :rolleyes:

I'm sure they're perfectly nice people, or maybe they aren't. Either way, when you start happily comparing yourself to the Kardashians, I think you've lost the plot. 

9 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

Yeah, True "Everymen." With their $1000 lighters, $11,000 ashtrays, and $200 cigars. 

Real, Humble, Down to earth people. :rolleyes:

I'm sure they're perfectly nice people, or maybe they aren't. Either way, when you start happily comparing yourself to the Kardashians, I think you've lost the plot. 

I didn't say they were "everymen" nor did I talk to whether they are humble or not. I've got a few lighters costing in excess of $1k and have smoked $200+ cigars before. It doesn't mean I'm entitled, it means I worked for it and spent money on what I chose to.

The son works in the Davidoff store in London and can hardly be considered in the Top 100 Rich List and the father made money from journalism and other things - if they want to spend their money on those things, why is that a problem?

5 hours ago, stevenhaugen said:

I've got a few lighters costing in excess of $1k

Then might want to consider the possibility that you’re not best placed to gauge how they come off to most people.

they dont pretend to be everymen people... they are fairly funny, although i dont think they have enough value in their reviews. The videos they have done with kirby and the Sahakhians are really awesome though. Certainly they represent more of an old-school british upper-class attitude, so if that sort of thing sets you off on a tantrum then stay away

Are they living in their own world?  Absolutely.  Do they play it up for their youtube audiene?  Absolutely.  If you're watching them with the intent of learning new things about the cigars they're smoking, its not the place for you.  If you're wanting to watch two guys who enjoy cigars and ramble about nonsense, its worth a watch.  

• Like 1