Recommended Posts

Are these only released in the special travel humidor? Trying to build an Edmundo family. I’ve only found the DE in the travel humidor and I’d rather buy a 25ct box. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Available in SBN 25, SBN 10 and 3 x 5 petacas. 

The SBN 10s can be tougher to come by than the 25s, and Monte DE seems to be a cigar that seems to have a production hiatus of 6-12 months. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

They were just up on 24:24 at the end of March.  I picked up a box of 25.  I had an aged box a few years ago that were very smooth and floral and slight chocolate.  Not really the chocolate bombs that I've found in the Edmundos.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Chibearsv said:

They were just up on 24:24 at the end of March.  I picked up a box of 25.  I had an aged box a few years ago that were very smooth and floral and slight chocolate.  Not really the chocolate bombs that I've found in the Edmundos.

That figures. I just decided to make an Edmundo collection and figured I just missed the most recent release. 

 

50 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Available in SBN 25, SBN 10 and 3 x 5 petacas. 

The SBN 10s can be tougher to come by than the 25s, and Monte DE seems to be a cigar that seems to have a production hiatus of 6-12 months. 

I saw on CCW they came in those counts but I’ve only come across the travel humidor. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • JohnS changed the title to Montecristo Double Edmundo
1 hour ago, Chibearsv said:

They were just up on 24:24 at the end of March.  I picked up a box of 25.  I had an aged box a few years ago that were very smooth and floral and slight chocolate.  Not really the chocolate bombs that I've found in the Edmundos.

Monte DE have vastly improved since 2016-17 IMO. I was not a fan when they first appeared myself and for a few years after that. I happened to try a few years later and what a difference. I don't know if I'd rather have any other Monte. 

I was reminded how far these have come when last year I ordered a 5 x 3 that was on sale and 2015s showed up. Sure enough they were disappointing. 

2018-present Monte DE should perform well. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not easy to find in the last 18mo...here's to hoping they pop back up/start being rolled more.

Arguably one of Monte's best sizes along with the Especial 1/2

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tstew75 said:

Arguably one of Monte's best sizes along with the Especial 1/2

Much better young than the Especiales. These 19 Especial No. 2 I have are nowhere near ready. Punchy, one-dimensional. Not too surprising with Especiales. But how ready the OCT 20 DEs were was amazing. No rough edges at all.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am big on the Double Edmundos.  I keep a vacuum sealed 3 pack in my carry-on bag for traveling and buy the 10 count boxes whenever there's a promotion.   Just a fun easy smoking cigar and good value.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I am big on the Double Edmundos.  I keep a vacuum sealed 3 pack in my carry-on bag for traveling and buy the 10 count boxes whenever there's a promotion.   Just a fun easy smoking cigar and good value.

I hope they show back up soon before I forget that I’m looking for them.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Much better young than the Especiales. These 19 Especial No. 2 I have are nowhere near ready. Punchy, one-dimensional. Not too surprising with Especiales. But how ready the OCT 20 DEs were was amazing. No rough edges at all.

Hi NSX, How would you compare them to the linea 1935 Leyenda ? I've yet to try one, but like you I'm a big fan of the DE, and also the 80th Aniversario. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Much better young than the Especiales. These 19 Especial No. 2 I have are nowhere near ready. Punchy, one-dimensional. Not too surprising with Especiales. But how ready the OCT 20 DEs were was amazing. No rough edges at all.

Yep, not even trying to dip onto my REG 19 boxes of Esp2s...they are glorious looking but nowhere near being smokable.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FatPete said:

Hi NSX, How would you compare them to the linea 1935 Leyenda ? I've yet to try one, but like you I'm a big fan of the DE, and also the 80th Aniversario. 

I've only had the Dumas and Maltes, and I undertand the Leyenda is regarded as the best of the three. I've also not had an 80th, so I can't directly compare. I will say I was not impressed by the Maltes and Dumas I've had. 

The best description I can give of the recent DE is that it's the best of both the Edmundo and Petit Edmundo. Well rounded, balanced and smooth like the Edmundo with the presence of flavor and richness of the PE. Strong on the milk chocolate and bean flavors. I don't get as much tanginess as I find in the 1, 3 and 4. It's very consistent throughout with no rough spots or bland spots. Construction has also been quite good. A few of the wrappers on the BLT OCT 20 box had some fireproof tendencies, so might want to watch out for that code. I was able to work through the issue on most of them. I have a 25 box on the way so I'll report back on those.

Every DE I have I find far more enjoyable than the No. 2s I have. The 2 can be a finicky bird. Much less consistency and I actually find the DE to be richer in flavor than recent No. 2.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Hi NSX, How would you compare them to the linea 1935 Leyenda ? I've yet to try one, but like you I'm a big fan of the DE, and also the 80th Aniversario. 

I personally don’t think the DE is even in the same weight class so to speak with the Leyenda.
I much prefer the PE and Edmundo to the DE. More bold and cocoa classic monte. Several DE I smoked seemed to be very airy.
Mind you I have had recent production DE. And according to @NSX they are improved.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Much better young than the Especiales. These 19 Especial No. 2 I have are nowhere near ready. Punchy, one-dimensional. Not too surprising with Especiales. But how ready the OCT 20 DEs were was amazing. No rough edges at all.

Agree on especial no. 2 but the recent especiales (1) have been outstanding.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2021 at 9:50 PM, NSXCIGAR said:

Monte DE have vastly improved since 2016-17 IMO. I was not a fan when they first appeared myself and for a few years after that. I happened to try a few years later and what a difference. I don't know if I'd rather have any other Monte. 

I was reminded how far these have come when last year I ordered a 5 x 3 that was on sale and 2015s showed up. Sure enough they were disappointing. 

2018-present Monte DE should perform well. 

Haven’t tried one myself in quite a while.  These never impressed me even though I always wanted them to.  I’ll give them another go if they’ve improved.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, havanaclub said:

Several DE I smoked seemed to be very airy.

That was also my experience with early DEs I had. Also they had a little bit of a funky sour taste. That's why I avoided them for a long time after.  I'd strongly recommend trying some recent production. They're excellent. I scored one out of the BLT OCT 20 box a 95 with the rest 93-94. 

 

7 hours ago, havanaclub said:

I personally don’t think the DE is even in the same weight class so to speak with the Leyenda.

No, I don't think I'd expect them to be comparable to the Leyenda or 80th based on what I've heard about them, although 95 points is 95 points, and that's what a good DE can deliver.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2021 at 9:04 AM, FatPete said:

Hi NSX, How would you compare them to the linea 1935 Leyenda ? I've yet to try one, but like you I'm a big fan of the DE, and also the 80th Aniversario. 

The Linea 1935 line is a much stronger blend than any reg-prod Monte. More mongrel & teeth. All 3 vitolas are very similiar IMO

80ths seem somewhere in the middle of reg-prod & 1935s in terms of style/power.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tstew75 said:

The Linea 1935 line is a much stronger blend than any reg-prod Monte. More mongrel & teeth. All 3 vitolas are very similiar IMO

80ths seem somewhere in the middle of reg-prod & 1935s in terms of style/power.

Thanks.

I certainly felt that the monte 80th had a more intense chocolate characteristic than the DE, and was beautifully smooth. From what you're saying the Leyenda would need quite a bit of time down.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, FatPete said:

Thanks.

I certainly felt that the monte 80th had a more intense chocolate characteristic than the DE, and was beautifully smooth. From what you're saying the Leyenda would need quite a bit of time down.

The Linea series will age magnificently, but don't be afraid to smoke them young. They are killer & exhibit very little ammonia, harshness etc when young

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.