Inventory software/apps

For those who keep an inventory of their cigars, what are you using?

I've been using the Cigar Geeks app for years now and love it.

Stores any information about your Cigars you could want, very user friendly and you can add as many humidors/tupperdoors or coolerdoors as you want.

An all around excellent app in my opinion

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I used an excel file with pages for shipments, old and current boxes, dates, and what is ready to smoke. Took me a while to hone it down but it suits my needs well. 

• Like 3

I used an excel file with pages for shipments, old and current boxes, dates, and what is ready to smoke. Took me a while to hone it down but it suits my needs well. 
Nice. Seems Excel is the most commonly used.
I was never any good with it as I rarely ever had to, so I never really learned it

• Like 2

thought of going the excel route but for my cubans i copy the 24/24 description into a notepad file and save it with the name and box date as the title, got a folder for full boxes, one folder for partial/singles and a folder for everything smoked/gone. i only use the forum on my pc which makes this a lot easier....for my non-cubans i don't care enough to keep track, just pile em' in🤣

48 minutes ago, smbauerllc said:

I was never any good with it as I rarely ever had to, so I never really learned it

I had to make liberal use of the help section myself ;)  I like excel because it’s fully customizable though. My sheets are:

1) Shipments (Dates, boxes or singles shipped, and hyperlinked tracking numbers where available). I originally started just with this to make it easier to track multiple shipments.

2) Boxes (Sorted alphabetically and by age); box code/date; tasting or aging notes; date received, and “days until rested” (default is 90). I just put in the date received and the sheet automatically populates the “rested on” field and the “days until rested” columns. Until the latter hits zero it’s highlighted red. Some boxes I change the formula to add much more time. There is also a column for me to mark boxes I need restocks on.

3) Singles and Packs (Same as above)

4) Old boxes (Kept for their notes and other info). 

5) Old shipments (when something arrives I cut it from page one and paste it here). 

She also keeps track of how many cigars I’ve ordered/have on the way so I can keep an eye on storage. 

If anyone is interested in a screenshot let me know, happy to post them or the file. 

• Like 4

I had to make liberal use of the help section myself   I like excel because it’s fully customizable though. My sheets are:
1) Shipments (Dates, boxes or singles shipped, and hyperlinked tracking numbers where available). I originally started just with this to make it easier to track multiple shipments.
2) Boxes (Sorted alphabetically and by age); box code/date; tasting or aging notes; date received, and “days until rested” (default is 90). I just put in the date received and the sheet automatically populates the “rested on” field and the “days until rested” columns. Until the latter hits zero it’s highlighted red. Some boxes I change the formula to add much more time. There is also a column for me to mark boxes I need restocks on.
3) Singles and Packs (Same as above)
4) Old boxes (Kept for their notes and other info). 
5) Old shipments (when something arrives I cut it from page one and paste it here). 
She also keeps track of how many cigars I’ve order/have on the way so I can keep an eye on storage. 
If anyone is interested in a screenshot let me know, happy to post them or the file. 
Kinda sounds like Excel is the way to go, but unfortunately all i have is my phone.
My laptop has some keys that don't work anymore because I spilled coffee on it, lol.
Plus there is no internet access here, so I would have to use my phone as a hotspot to use the laptop to get excel.

7 minutes ago, smbauerllc said:

unfortunately all i have is my phone.

Yeah it’s only downside is currently I can only access on my laptop. I have been meaning to try converting it to a Google sheet, if I get a chance and it works I’ll let you know. 

• Like 1

I was originally using the CCW with a back up in Google sheets.

Now exclusively using a spreadsheet in Google Sheets. Accessible everywhere and easily modified.

In addition to what @MrBirdman suggested - I also have columns for the purchase price, along with how many sticks/boxes purchased per year.

The other advantage of the "google" eco-system is that I can correlate the inventory with my calendar entries.

• Like 1

Oh yeah when I said excel, I meant google sheet. I used to use excel but eventually moved it onto google. Means I can easily see it on my phone too, even though I mainly update from my laptop.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smbauerllc said:

Kinda sounds like Excel is the way to go, but unfortunately all i have is my phone.
My laptop has some keys that don't work anymore because I spilled coffee on it, lol.
Plus there is no internet access here, so I would have to use my phone as a hotspot to use the laptop to get excel.

Sounds like you need ledger books and a sharp pencil.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hammer Smokin' said:

could you imagine living where this is no internet access? to some that may sound like hell... 

to me, it sounds like paradise! 

I don't know if I'm ready to live on Mars 😂🤣😂

18 minutes ago, Chibearsv said:

I hate to admit it but that’s how I role. I really need to update and put everything on a iPad, but I need one that is super user friendly. 

2 minutes ago, kcmontie said:

I hate to admit it but that’s how I role. I really need to update and put everything on a iPad, but I need one that is super user friendly. 

I don't know.  If I really cared about keeping my inventory recorded, I think having a ledger book near my smoking area would be kind of cool to review and update as I was smoking. Seems more appropriate than tapping and typing since cigars seem more analog than digital to me.  Weird, I know but my mind wanders.  Truth is, I don't really want to keep a detailed inventory, seems anti-relaxing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Chibearsv said:

I am an old timer--even more primitive than that.

I have a well worn 2005 copy of Perelman's Pocket Encyclopedia of Havana Cigars and I mark off each entry as I buy them and use tick marks for multiple boxes and delete a mark after I finish a box.

(Of course I have to add entries for all vitolas added since 2005.)

Then there are lots of random scribblings and comments (boxes of 10, cabs, etc.)

A total mess--newbies do not do what I did.   🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MrBirdman said:

Yeah it’s only downside is currently I can only access on my laptop. I have been meaning to try converting it to a Google sheet, if I get a chance and it works I’ll let you know. 

1 hour ago, Chibearsv said:

I don't know.  If I really cared about keeping my inventory recorded, I think having a ledger book near my smoking area would be kind of cool to review and update as I was smoking. Seems more appropriate than tapping and typing since cigars seem more analog than digital to me.  Weird, I know but my mind wanders.  Truth is, I don't really want to keep a detailed inventory, seems anti-relaxing.

I’m with you on this one. Cigars are my relaxation, enjoyment and de-stresser. So I try not to complicate it too much - that’s just me, certainly not for everyone.

To smbauerlic’s original question, several years ago I did attempt to keep an inventory of my stock; used Cigar Scanner, CCW’s feature, etc. Eventually it became too much of  a chore for me and I lost interest in keeping it up.

My system for the past 4 years is a simple one. I keep an inventory of boxes in several coolidors, sorted by year of manufacture. Most of the stock is from 2017 forward - I don’t buy rare or vintage cigars, just can’t make the math work out given the current quality of tobacco and cigars coming out of Cuba. Because my taste profile centers on about 6 different Marcas and 5-6 vitolas, I know (precisely enough for me) what I have in the coolers. The only thing I do track is the date when I receive a box and when it goes into long-term storage. I write that info on the bottom of the box and pop it in the coolidor after sampling a ROTT cigar to get an idea of the quality and aging potential of that particular box. 

• Like 1

I keep an excel file by marca. Probably should add a vitola column so I could sort. A future project. Really the list helps me generally keep track of boxes more than sticks. I know codes years and costs. Helps me keep everything in perspective. 
I have one column for number of sticks purchase. Only once have I updated that mostly to see what I need to resupply. 
The active list is on my computer. Helps me track when something was purchased, source and shipping/delivery/ready to smoke. 
I also keep a version on google drive that I update periodically. A good repository for looking at the list of needed when away from home. 
I don’t have it in me to write down tasting notes from each stick. Box is as good as it gets really. But I’m not a RE or LE guy some not big dollars. 
the worst part of a spreadsheet is adding up the various columns. You guys warned me but sheesh. Spent more than I thought a year on cigars

• 1 year later...

I have built up a small collection and need a way to track inventory other than looking at old receipts! Gone through everything listed in this thread, Cigar Scanner and Excel/Google Sheets seems to be the best options for me.  Before starting the fun of data entry wanted to double check -

1. Anything else/new to consider?
  2. Any great example/templates for excel or google sheets to share?

Cigar Scanner seems pretty slick & easy but don't see a way to export the data and like having a copy...which Excel/Google would give.