computer issue????

lord i hate these things. i did nothing to annoy mine but get up this morning and it has decided to not show the contents of emails. well, there are a couple it shows a little of. but most, nothing. that is incoming and even when i type them that also disappears.

i have tried my usually extraordinary computer guru (Ben, where are you?) but i think he might be hiding from my calls. understandably. 

i have no idea if this is an extremely simple, press a button sort of fix. or if it is end of civilisation sort of stuff. should i just buy another? 

if anyone has any thoughts, much appreciated. but said thoughts would need to be very simple. as you have probably gathered, i am behind the dinosaurs when it comes to this stuff. 

It might help to describe what you are using for emails: webmail like Gmail or a program like outlook. If the latter probably some weird button combination or menu entry you pressed that needs to be undone.

• Like 1

Just now, Bijan said:

It might help to describe what you are using for emails: webmail like Gmail or a program like outlook. If the later probably some weird button combination or menu entry you pressed that needs to be undone.

thanks Bijan. i believe i am outlook. 

but i swear i pressed nothing. finished last night. turned it all off and went to bed. this morning...

• Like 1

Outlook not showing emails as Microsoft confirm 365 outage

MICROSOFT has confirmed that a new outage tonight is stopping Outlook users from viewing their emails.

PUBLISHED: 22:36, Tue, May 11, 2021 | UPDATED: 22:40, Tue, May 11, 2021

Maybe Ken?
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Fezztone said:

Outlook not showing emails as Microsoft confirm 365 outage

MICROSOFT has confirmed that a new outage tonight is stopping Outlook users from viewing their emails.

PUBLISHED: 22:36, Tue, May 11, 2021 | UPDATED: 22:40, Tue, May 11, 2021

Maybe Ken?

i would so love this to be not my fault (unlikely but ...). thanks. 

If you can access email through outlook on the web, I don’t think the same problems are happening. Just with outlook in ms office that’s installed on the machine. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ken Gargett said:

i will burn czars to the ground if you hassle me today. 

.....thats a touch aggressive :lookaround:

We are holding your wine as hostage. 

it's now 10am. Ben should have just woken up ;)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chibearsv said:

If you can access email through outlook on the web, I don’t think the same problems are happening. Just with outlook in ms office that’s installed on the machine. 

that sounds useful, but that is probably because i have no idea what it means. if i understand correctly, i may not be the only person suffering this (i need a support group) and it is working for the web (which mine sort of is for some, but it is working for the same emails which also arrive on my phone). it is a problem for outlook on actual computers where one has office. 

if i have this right - and i am very grateful for this advice and all advice (except rob's) - then this should be something they will fix? presumably at their convenience?

3 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

that sounds useful, but that is probably because i have no idea what it means. if i understand correctly, i may not be the only person suffering this (i need a support group) and it is working for the web (which mine sort of is for some, but it is working for the same emails which also arrive on my phone). it is a problem for outlook on actual computers where one has office. 

if i have this right - and i am very grateful for this advice and all advice (except rob's) - then this should be something they will fix? presumably at their convenience?

That certainly is the hope. The issue is nearly universal with all outlook users. And yes, you should be able to read and respond to emails on your phone until they fix it. 

just found this. ben can sleep in. so i may as well spend the morning tasting wines! 

Microsoft Outlook hit by worldwide 'email visibility issues'

Microsoft Outlook hit by worldwide 'email visibility issues'

Update gifts users with invisible text.

Microsoft said that Outlook is suffering “email visibility issues”, with widespread reports of text disappearing after being entered into a new message, and of existing messages having no body text at all.

IT administrators said they were rolling back a recent Office update that appears to be the root cause; both desktop and 365 users are reporting issues.

“We’re investigating an issue with email message visibility in Outlook. Outlook on the web appears to be unaffected,” Microsoft said in a brief status advisory.

Users worldwide reported a variety of text input and visibility problems. There were confirmed reports of the issues impacting Australian and New Zealand users.

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

“If you hit ‘new message’ and type in the body no text appears. But If you send it the text shows up for the recipient,” one user wrote.

“We have several users that cannot see the text in emails in their mailboxes,” Seth Kamins tweeted.

“If you reply you still cannot see this unless you backspace.  Very odd. 

“OWA unaffected as we have Exchange on Prem.  Same thing happens when turning off Cache.”

One user screenshotted the experience, with the body of a new email disappearing every time a new line was entered.

Administrators reported that disabling autoupdate and rolling back to a previous version worked; Outlook Web Access (OWA) and access via phone-based client also appeared to be unaffected.

"Users with access to alternate protocols like Outlook on the web or Outlook mobile can use those as a potential workaround in the interim," Microsoft later officially advised.

However, not even some of these workarounds were foolproof.

Update, 9.18am: Microsoft advised it had "identified the root cause and are applying a fix, which will reach affected users over the next three to four hours.

"Users will need to restart the Outlook client to apply the fix after it's received. We expect to restore service to affected users by May 12, 2021, at 3:00 AM UTC [1pm AEST]."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chibearsv said:

That certainly is the hope. The issue is nearly universal with all outlook users

many thanks for your help. really appreciated. 

and may i say that i have taken names of those who attempted to assist and those who felt this time of chaos was an opportunity for them to enjoy themselves at my expense. there will be retribution. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, benfica_77 said:

@Ken Gargett you seem stressed today. I heard weed is legal in Australia you might want to try some out. I heard it might enhance your music experience might make Bruce even better for you. 

my retribution list is getting longer by the minite!

• Haha 2