Question about 2020-21 piramides (P2)

Hi,

I’m trying to decide between Monte no2 and Partagas P2, or possibly other pyramides. Both were given high scores in the FOH video reviews, and it seems like the Monte are very popular recently. I’ve had recent Monte which were good but never tried the P2. So am leaning toward the P2 since I like Partagas. I’m looking for the spices, sweetness, and something with more kick, but maybe less kick than Boli Beli Finos. Any recommendations? Are the P2 anything like the D4 or E2? Thanks!

The P2s are some of my favorite sticks and reasonably priced too. That said, the Monte 2 are outstanding right now. If you like the partagas marca then go with the P2 but you won’t be disappointed with a monte 2 from 19/20.

The P2 are more sweet and refined than the D4. I am a big fan of the D4 but I give the P2 a big advantage. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In my experience, P2's are incredible IF given several years to rest.  In my opinion, only Partagas diehards can enjoy them young -- until they mature it's all pepper to my taste.  Let them age, and it's a wholly different story.  Complexity and subtlety becomes possible in a brand I believe is known for power.  

Monte 2's on the other hand can be wonderful from day one, especially my experience with recent M2's.  IMO, these too benefit greatly from age, developing nuances and a full three thirds of flavor, ...but the chocolate will be there early and late.  

These two are quite a contrast in flavor profiles.  Perhaps get some of each and try for yourself, both now and in some years??

...You mention too the Bolivar Belicosos Fino.  One of my favorite cigars, when allowed to get some years on it beforehand.  Aging a few of each of those three cigars -- even if just for 2 to 3 years --  might provide a very a fine contrast of what's possible in the same vitola.  

Perhaps it's an unfounded belief, but a friend with experience once suggested to me that figurados (such as piramides) require Torcedors with a much higher level of skill than those for a parejo.  I have no way to verify that, though that suggestion has drawn me to experiment more with any kind of figurado when I need to make a leap of faith.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the info! I have a box of BBF to try ageing - the one I had from the Christmas sampler was awesome. Although, I've had BBF before and they didn't do much for me... this recent one totally changed my mind about the cigar. Monte 2 seemed to be inconsistent in the past, and I switched to Edmundo and Double Edmundo for that chocolate flavour. The one from this year was good. It sounds like either these or a box of Partagas is the way to go... 

If you haven't tried Diplo No 2, they are delicious.  Maybe not as much spice as Partagas but very nice cigars.  

Edited by Chibearsv
added "not"
  • Like 1

I enjoy P2 young and get that peppery taste, if you buy a box you can sample them every now and then until you find a flavor profile you like. 

The good thing about P2s is that they come in Tubos and small boxes to the full 25s. 

The last P2 I had in Jan / Feb was from 2017 with about 4 years on it and it was excellent 

• Like 1

New? Get 6 of each from our host. MC#2, HU#2, Party P2, Dip 2.  None of these are bad cigars and if u have  a quarter box of each u can see what suits u as time passes.

• Like 2

• JohnS changed the title to Question about 2020-21 piramides (P2)