A Fund to Help Send Vaccination Syringes to Cuba

The Saving Lives Campaign and Global Health Partners are building a broad-based, urgent drive to supply these vital medical tools to Cuba. The country has a shortage of 20 million syringes vital to the goal of vaccinating the entire Cuban population against Covid. We are committed to raising $100,000 this month to start rushing syringes to Cuba.   

Please show your solidarity now with a country that has done so much for the health of its own people, and for struggling communities around the world.

Over the past year alone, Cuba has sent 3,700 health workers, in 52 international medical brigades, to 39 countries overwhelmed by the pandemic. Cuba’s international medical brigades have treated patients and saved lives for the past 15 years in 53 countries confronting natural disasters and serious epidemics, such as the Ebola crisis in West Africa.

Cuba has developed five internationally recognized candidate COVID-19 vaccines, with two in Phase III clinical trials as of April 2021. Cuba has 11.3 million people, but plans to produce 100 million doses of vaccine, to meet its commitment to sharing its low-cost vaccines with poor countries in the developing world.

Help put life saving vaccines into Cuban arms with your generous, tax-deductible donation to our syringe campaign. Your gift today will save lives and show your solidarity with Cuba’s commitment to helping other poor countries fight Covid.

Please send your gift to Global Health Partners, which has a U.S. Commerce Department license to send medical supplies to Cuba. You can make an immediate donation online on this page.

You can also send checks payable to Global Health Partners, with the memo Syringe Campaign, at 39 Broadway, Suite 1540, New York, NY 10006.

Global Health Partners is a 501(c)3 tax-exempt organization and your donation is tax-deductible within the guidelines of U.S. law. To claim a donation as a deduction on your taxes, please save your email donation receipt from GiveDirect as your official record.

13 minutes ago, Nino said:

Please show your solidarity now with a country that has done so much for the health of its own people, and for struggling communities around the world.

I didn't say it - your link says it - So the "Caribbean Medical Showcase" is asking for US help now.

Cuba has done nothing for the "health of its own people" and is now compelling them to take the unproven vaccine, making it mandatory to have it or lose your job if not taking the vaccine.

Bad joke.

• Like 1

Medical supplies aren’t embargoed.

Anything more suspicious than seeking $100,000 to aid a foreign government?  Cuba can’t come up with $100,000?

This organization is headquartered on Broadway in New York City?  Is there a more expensive place to rent an office in the US?

• Thanks 2

They have partnered with the Center for Cuban Studies. That may be good or bad depending on one's point of view, but it makes it less likely to be a front for something sinister.

I have friends, ex-pats living in Cuba, promoting this campaign too.  

I'd be surprised if there's anything shady about it. That is to say, anything more shady than any other charity.

It looks like they do actually want to send syringes to Cuba to help vaccinate people. I don't see anything wrong with the intention. Cuba has had medical supply problems for decades.

It's easy for a government to syphon funds. Not so easy to syphon syringes. There's probably a pun in there somewhere.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Ryan said:

It's easy for a government to syphon funds. Not so easy to syphon syringes. There's probably a pun in there somewhere.

It is easy indeed and the Cuban gvmt likes to syphon anything it can get its hands on.

Like just 2 days ago : Rusia sends donations of cooking oil and flour to Cuba and Cuba ... sells the cooking oil to the public. Of course there is an "explanation" for it blah blah blah blah ....

------------------------------

https://www.14ymedio.com/sociedad/Rusia-autorizo-prestamo-donado-Cuba_0_3092690704.html

Russia authorized, as a "loan", the sale of oil donated to Cuba

The World Food Program confirms that Havana's request was approved, which promised to replace the product

14ymedio, Havana | May 12, 2021

The World Food Program (WFP) and the Russian Embassy in Havana endorse the version of the Government of Cuba and confirm that they authorized the sale of bottles of oil destined for donation, provisionally and with the commitment to replace the product later. .

"There has been a breakdown in the national packaging production line in Cuba that has prevented it from packaging and preparing the bottles of cooking oil that go to the monthly national food basket delivered by the Government. To ensure that people in The 6 of the 15 municipalities of Havana receive the complete basket, that is, that includes the cooking oil on time, the Government requested from the World Food Program a loan of 150 metric tons of bottled cooking oil that they will replace once have finished ", assures the organization, based in Panama, to Radio Televisión Martí.

In early May, several netizens posted images of Russian-made one-liter bottles of oil with a label indicating their sale ban as part of a batch of WFP donations.

The Ministry of Internal Trade then alleged that breaks in the domestic industry had prevented bottling the product for sale on the rationed market and would replenish the WFP bottles as soon as possible.

20 minutes ago, Nino said:

It is easy indeed and the Cuban gvmt likes to syphon anything it can get its hands on.

Yeah, that's true, I've seen the pictures. It's messed up.

However, this syringes for Cuba thing. Anybody can donate $10. Maybe some syringes will get to Cuba because of it, maybe one, maybe none. Maybe the government will steal all of it.

Maybe 5 people will get a vaccine sooner because of it, maybe 1, maybe none. Maybe the Soberana 2 vaccine doesn't work, maybe none of the other 4 vaccines that the Cubans are working on will work.

It might do no good at all.

It's still just $10 and it might do some good. 

Charities everywhere, have to fight daily the bad press of scandals, rip-offs, people exploiting giving for their own greed. It's a terrible thing. And what makes it worse is if we all become hardened to giving because of these examples. I'm not talking about you Nino, of course, or any other specific person. And of course I'm not recommending that anybody gives to this charity or not. I can't tell anyone what to do.

However, it's still just $10 and it might do some good. 

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Charities everywhere, have to fight daily the bad press of scandals, rip-offs, people exploiting giving for their own greed. It's a terrible thing. And what makes it worse is if we all become hardened to giving because of these examples. I'm not talking about you Nino, of course, or any other specific person. And of course I'm not recommending that anybody gives to this charity or not. I can't tell anyone what to do.

Andy I truly understand you and what you mean. 

I feel bad myself for being so hard but it is just that I don't trust the Cuban gvmt to do the right thing, they are just not trustworthy, it is a mess alright.

I only trust what I can deliver myself to my Cuban friends. Nothing else.

• Like 2