Preferred rh

What is your preferred rh for cc's?

How about for nc's?

I think I have found my sweet spot with everything at 65%, but curious what others prefer and why.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, smbauerllc said:

What is your preferred rh for cc's?

How about for nc's?

I think I have found my sweet spot with everything at 65%, but curious what others prefer and why.

I know a lot of guys here are going to recommend the low 60's, but I've found 65% to be my sweet spot, between 65 and 70 degrees depending on season. Ambient temp makes a difference though, you cant talk RH without talking temp.

The few NC's I still have are stored at the same RH/temp as my CC's because I have no desire to set up and maintain a separate environment for so few cigars. 

• Like 4

I’m in the process of setting up a Coolidor and have decided on 65% for cc and nc.  

38 minutes ago, Bijan said:

I use 65% bovedas that ranges from low 60s to 65 depending on desktop vs cooler vs Tupperware. I have all 3.

Same. 65% bovedas keep the wineador and desktops between 60-65. Been thinking about switching back to kitty litter which I used to use about 10 years ago.

• Like 1

I know a lot of guys here are going to recommend the low 60's, but I've found 65% to be my sweet spot, between 65 and 70 degrees depending on season. Ambient temp makes a difference though, you cant talk RH without talking temp.
The few NC's I still have are stored at the same RH/temp as my CC's because I have no desire to set up and maintain a separate environment for so few cigars. 
I used to keep everything at 60 to 62%, but had lots of issues with wrappers cracking. Have had much fewer issues at 65% and they taste the same.

At the lower rh they seemed to burn a little faster and hotter too.

The temperature in my room stays right at 65 to 68 degrees steadily

I use the 320gr 65% bovedas in my one remaining humidor and my 4 tupperdoors, and it stay nice and steady right at 65%.
Bovedas are definitely a great invention and well worth the price.
Work great and maintenance free

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Kind of depends on temperature...

Smart!

I've been at 68% 68f with 72% Boveda in a large Tupperware.

I'm dropping to 65% bovedas now, mostly to avoid any required dry boxing, but even after a month I'm still at 68%. No rush.

• Like 2

65% Bovedas in my Tupperdores like the one posted below.

But doing an experiment now for some lower humidity Bovedas that I'll report on in a month or so.

IMG_6557.JPG

Aiming for 65, but tend to hover around 67-68. I try to dry box at least a week before smoking, and usually avoid issues with burn and draw related to higher humidity.

• Like 1

60-65% and it's hard to go wrong. I'm usually hugging 60%. For longer term storage, I keep below 60% but not too far below. I keep a ready smoke cooler with odds and ends a little bit wetter, 65% steady. This is for my coolers which  are always  in the finished basement of my house so the temperature is stable in the mid 60's year round.

• Like 2

Do you think one 320 size boveda is enough for a 48 qt cooler? Having a hard time deciding if I want to use boveda or hcm beads.

9 hours ago, Mickey D said:

This ^^^. While I have several Coolidors for all my boxes of CC and NC that contain 65% Bovedas, I have a two regular humidors I maintain at 62% for daily smokes. One for CC and the other for NC. 
I personally enjoy smoking at 62%, as they burn and taste better. 

Exactly this!

Keep my daily smokes in my travel humidor at 62 and the home humidor at 65.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wetduck79 said:

Do you think one 320 size boveda is enough for a 48 qt cooler? Having a hard time deciding if I want to use boveda or hcm beads.

I think I use 2 x 320 size bovedas for my 120 qt coolers. I'll have to make sure it's not 3, but I'm about 90% sure I'm only using 2 per cooler. First cooler has been good since last summer.

65% Boveda in the big humidor. sealed boxes in paper and freezer bag with the same in the coolidor. some sticks like a little dry box before lighting. Traveldor gets a 59 or 62 Boveda for FL and HI. it all seems to work so far.

• Like 2

On 5/21/2021 at 8:07 AM, dragn270 said:
I use a bunch of large 65RH bovedas in both my tupperdors. 

My largest sistema klip it tupperdoors do perfect with just 1 320gr boveda even when they are full to capacity

On 5/21/2021 at 11:10 AM, Ginseng said:
60-65% and it's hard to go wrong. I'm usually hugging 60%. For longer term storage, I keep below 60% but not too far below. I keep a ready smoke cooler with odds and ends a little bit wetter, 65% steady. This is for my coolers which  are always  in the finished basement of my house so the temperature is stable in the mid 60's year round.

Why do you go with 60% or lower for longer term storage, but keep your "on deck" ones at 65%.
I'm very curious about why people choose the rh they do

12 minutes ago, smbauerllc said:

Why do you go with 60% or lower for longer term storage, but keep your "on deck" ones at 65%.
I'm very curious about why people choose the rh they do

Because at the rate I smoke, my cigars will likely outlast me, so I want to slow down their maturation (within reason) so that I can experience their best performance for a longer period of time. It wasn't always like this. Years ago when I was really  pounding down the Habanos, everything was at 65%. As for that number, as some have remarked, it's a bit more forgiving for delicate wrappers. Also, at the time, I was living further north, cooler and drier, generally, and the added humidity helped reduce cracking during smoke (which was fairly rare, anyway). However, since I have adopted the pre-smoke rinse, there isn't any  cigar that I can't smoke straight out from storage at 60% or slightly below. At 65% or a bit higher, no rinse is needed. The "ready to smoke" cooler is just a convenience. When I find cigars that I think I'd like to smoke "soon" I just drop them there so I don't have to dig. It's the small cooler that's on top of all the "storage" coolers.

Does that help?

PS. I should add that I keep any NC in the RTS. There are fewer than a dozen at any point in time so I don't have a dedicated place for them.

Boveda says that the 320 gram ones are good for 100 Cigars, or for a space intended to hold 100 Cigars.

48qt is pretty large so I would think you would need several, but others with coolerdoors will hopefully chime in