Did I get ripped off?

justince

I jumped at the chance of grabbing a box of Partagas 8-9-8, from a reputable retailer...however I've never seen a box like this? (i've never bought party 8-9-8 before, so maybe it's just different?

It came in this weird cardboard box with the date code..is this normal? The verification code checks out on Habanos' website, but I know this can be faked.

I'll let the pictures do the rest of the speaking. Did i get scammed? I paid a bit of a premium (to be expected given the low supply)

IMG_20210525_123813.jpg

IMG_20210525_123805.jpg

IMG_20210525_123820.jpg

IMG_20210525_123912.jpg

IMG_20210525_123833.jpg

IMG_20210525_123838.jpg

IMG_20210525_123847.jpg

IMG_20210525_123815.jpg

• Like 2

that's how the real boxes are supposed to come.

Be worried if the date code is stamped inside the box, I got a fake box in a split that had the date inside the vanished box lid.

2 minutes ago, FireDigger said:

This is how they come. If you want to compare, there are pics of 898s in the Your Latest CC Purchase thread.

Thanks. I didn't realize. Relatively new to the CC game. I appreciate it!

Personally opinion: it is FAKE!!

Why? Because it have a British smoking warning (NHS) but is obviously not sourced from H&F who is the sole Cuban cigars supplier for Britain. If sourced from H&F there would be an EMS sticker and an EMS certificate along with the Habanos certificate. Edit: I am appalled but how so many FOH members who commented above can be tricked so easily, time to start double checking my incoming stocks.

Edit: I am appalled but how so many FOH members who commented above can be tricked so easily, time to start double checking my incoming stocks.

Dunno how, but would have wanted to share the Michael Jackson (thriller music video) popcorn gif to this reply..... Drama incoming!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Wolvan said:

Why? Because it have a British smoking warning (NHS) but is obviously not sourced from H&F who is the sole Cuban cigars supplier for Britain. If sourced from H&F there would be an EMS sticker and an EMS certificate along with the Habanos certificate. Edit: I am appalled but how so many FOH members who commented above can be tricked so easily, time to start double checking my incoming stocks.

The NHS / H&F discrepancy is definitely interesting. Hopefully some UK members can shed some light.  Has anyone run that serial# yet?  I can't make it out myself. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Wolvan said:

Oh boy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wolvan said:

Aren't there other countries in the UK that aren't Britain?  Could these have come from Scotland as an example?

• Haha 1

If the S/N is 000050050500 they come up as RyJ Short Churchills CB-UW-C/L-12,13-n-25

If the S/N is 000050050508 Descripcion: PARTAGAS 8-9-8 898-VW-SR-8-9-8-n-25

I think you are good to go

• Like 1

I reckon you're on a wind up mate

Ever heard of Gibraltar
No EMS stickers

Mind you....I would expect a H&F sticker on the cardboard outer even from Gib
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Stevieboy said:

I reckon you're on a wind up mate

Ever heard of Gibraltar emoji12.png
No EMS stickers

Mind you....I would expect a H&F sticker on the cardboard outer even from Gib

From what I know Gibraltar stuff does have the H&F sticker. But they don’t have the NHS! Here I emphasis on the NHS warning and EMS discrepancies.

43 minutes ago, Chibearsv said:

Aren't there other countries in the UK that aren't Britain?  Could these have come from Scotland as an example?

😆 Scotland is part of UK and part of Britain, Northern Ireland isn’t part of Britain but doesn’t have NHS either. (Though I think they are still supplied by H&F)

12 minutes ago, Wolvan said:

Not really, since the cardboard box is obviously not the outer box of those cigars.

Clarify this. Partagas 898 definitely comes with an outer box with the seals and stamps on it vs being on the varnished box.  

• Like 1

With most things in life, if you have to ask, the answer is likely a resounding yes. However, with Cubans I've noticed folks are overly sensitive to perceived scams and seem to get overly jumpy at the slightest inclination. That box looks fine to me. But then again, I'm sure I've bought fakes at least once. They smoked great. Would buy again, If only that guy from the beach with those glass top boxes would return my calls.... probably busy with his cousin who works at the factory. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, dominattorney said:

With most things in life, if you have to ask, the answer is likely a resounding yes.

In some cases yes.  But we can't assume everyone here is a vet or knows about CCW, etc.  

25 minutes ago, Puros Y Vino said:

In some cases yes.  But we can't assume everyone here is a vet or knows about CCW, etc.  

I dont mean to suggest he bought fakes. In fact I believe the opposite from the photographs. I just mean more simply if you are sitting around with buyers remorse and agonizing over a purchase, were you really well served by it?

• Like 1