Rocky Patel Number 6 Corona - 2020 (MM&SRW)

Picked these up when I saw the odd combination of a highly rated, non Cuban corona on Cigar Aficionado. I don't put too much stock into their ratings, but i generally like RP's offerings and coronas are my favorite vitola, so I figured why not.

Paired with a Modelo during a work break. Also decided to get some sun. Near perfect pre-light draw, construction seems perfect - to be expected from a non Cuban. An extremely attractive cigar to the eye, wrapper was gorgeous and I do happen to really like the band. It was once I lit it I remembered why I remembered CA ratings were a joke.

Medium-full bodied smoke, leaning itself more towards full. Heavy earth flavors are really dominant, with a bit of leather. The finish is a bit bitter. I wouldn't call it harsh, but it's approaching that side of the realm. Mouthfeel is average, not thick, not thin. Many reviews I've read claim sweetness -- even Rocky Patel himself, but this is the polar opposite, at least in the example I'm smoking. It's also possible that they diluted the blend after the big CA 95 rating to amp up supply.

This wasn't a very transitional smoke. Heavy earth was dominant throughout. In the bottom half though, some coffee notes became prevalent. Still the same bitter finish, smoke texture etc. Medium strength.

Not a bad smoke by any means, just "ok". If someone hands me one of these I wouldn't complain, but it's not like I'd jump for joy either.  I expected a lot more for a 95 rating. Certainly wont buy it again.

7/10

IMG_20210526_150306.jpg

IMG_20210526_145717.jpg

IMG_20210526_150735.jpg

IMG_20210526_151619.jpg

• Like 3

Yeah, I agree about CA's ratings. They can be a useful facet in selecting a new Cigar when used with other online reviews and other opinions on forums.
I never go strictly by their ratings, I just use it as a guide on what new to me Cigar to research and possibly buy

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bitterness might come from that Mexican beer. 🥴

• Like 1

Also feel unsure about CA ratings, the approach seems legit but the outcome is often questionable... 

As far as the RP, well at least you didn't get blasted with "pepper" like with most other NC, so that's a plus! I've never been a huge fan of RPs but they are not bad cigars, they just feel very commercial to me. Kind of like Chipotle, the food is not terrible and you can definitely do a lot worse as far as Mexican, but at the end of the day they are still a chain, as opposed to a high quality independent restaurant. 

• 2 weeks later...

So many better versions of a Honduran puro available.  Aladino Corojo or Corojo Reserva, Leaf by Oscar, CLE etc.

The number 6 smokes like it  was an incomplete blend and is passed off as a super premium smoking experience.  It’s almost criminal what Rocky Patel does in the cigar industry.

15 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

So many better versions of a Honduran puro available.  Aladino Corojo or Corojo Reserva, Leaf by Oscar, CLE etc.

The number 6 smokes like it  was an incomplete blend and is passed off as a super premium smoking experience.  It’s almost criminal what Rocky Patel does in the cigar industry.

No argument there, the Eiroa family does make the best Honduran cigars IMHO

Mickey D is right. Most beers make most cigars bitter. The pairing is tricky with more failures than successes. I smoked that RP corona and didn't have a bad experience at all. A little color-by-numbers in the flavor maybe, but it was still an enjoyable, solid Honduran.