Por Larranaga petit coronas: I just don't get the hype

What are your thoughts on 5 year aged Por Larranaga Petit Corona?  

172 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When you get to be 55 years of age like myself, waiting 5 years or more for a box of cigars to be "on" is just too darn long. There is just too much other stuff in the Habanos line smoking great after

I am a lot older than you, and when you get to be my age you want to have things to look forward to--keep you going. I have a cab of PLPCs resting, and I plan to live long enough to smoke all of

I wasn't far off......57 : 43. Another 50 votes and I reckon we would get close to bang on 50:50 seldom fails 😁 Shall we try CORO next or maybe Monte 4? I am pretty sure you will be within a

3 minutes ago, NYgarman said:

So a few years ago I decided to buy a cab of these due to the feedback here on the forum. An LGR17 coded box. I have burned through almost half the cab and they are underwhelming to say the least. No caramel, honey sweetness that members describe. I equate this stick more to a yard 'gar for chomping on when out on the mower cutting the grass. I know those say magic happens after 5 years of age, but I see no progression in that direction. Simply straight forward Cuban earthy tobacco. What are your thoughts with these cigars?

What is your preferred PC?

1 hour ago, leebert said:

What is your preferred PC?

Monte 4, Rafael Gonzalez PC, Upmann PC, SCdLH El Principe, Sancho Panza Non Plus

1 hour ago, Edicion said:

Try to put either the humidity up or down, depending on how you keep them now . So dry box or wet box a few to see if that helps. Personally I find higher humidity up to 70% does wonders for PLPC

I maintain my cabinet at 65% all year around. Cigars smoke fine. Construction fine. Taste? Meh!!

• Like 2

last PLPC's I smoked, which were 2012, smoked in 2020, were sublime. 

I also love PLMCs, but they don't need as much downtime. The 2018 box I've been smoking through are fantastic. 

• Like 1

My UEB Jul 17 box is definitely doin’ the caramel fandango right now - they’re outstanding. But this comes from a guy who has a perfectly good box of 5 year old RASS that I totally don’t get anything remotely tasty out of, so I understand the different strokes for different folks aspect of CC’s.

4 minutes ago, NYgarman said:

When you get to be 55 years of age like myself, waiting 5 years or more for a box of cigars to be "on" is just too darn long. There is just too much other stuff in the Habanos line smoking great after a year or two of box age. 

You just summed up my thoughts on aging.  Special occasion sticks like Cohibas, SW, Fundies, yep go ahead and pay them their respect.  But a $150 box of petit Coronas?  Not for me, BPCs and M4s are smoking great right now.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Cairo said:

I am a lot older than you, and when you get to be my age you want to have things to look forward to--keep you going.

I have a cab of PLPCs resting, and I plan to live long enough to smoke all of them--and I will keep my hands off them until I get amazing caramel.

I know what they should be--because I had one Panatela that was a caramel bomb (the only one in the box) and it totally blew me away.

Different strokes......😁    I have things to look forward to in my latter years but waiting 5, 8 ,10 years on a box of cheap PC's is not in my priorities.  

My 15 year old daughter is by far a much higher priority.  I have her HS graduation, college graduation, marriage, and perhaps a grand baby in the future which will be much more "sweet" than those PLPC

I watched a 2019 cab turn from “yard ‘gar” to bliss in the last 6 months. Bought another based on that transformation...

• Like 2

I think they are just ok but I’ve only had 2019’s. For the life of me I don’t see mongrel though. First 3/4 is light maybe medium at best for me. Maybe they are just closed and need time to open?

42 minutes ago, NYgarman said:

When you get to be 55 years of age like myself, waiting 5 years or more for a box of cigars to be "on" is just too darn long. There is just too much other stuff in the Habanos line smoking great after a year or two of box age. 

Ouch! If you wait 5 years, you’ll be my age! 🤣

• Like 1

I enjoy them at 3+ years. I haven’t been able to find much redeeming in them any younger than that. To be fair, the aged sticks for me aren’t always caramel bombs. Sometimes I get that profile and sometimes it’s just a nice aged Cuban tobacco flavor - not complex and one dimensional, but still tasty. Smoking them slowly keeps the tobacco cool and helps pull out the creaminess and caramel flavor. I’m a slow smoker anyway, but even slower on a Mareva like PLPC. Typically, I get 70 minutes smoking time to the nub. 

• Like 1

I've got a cab of 2018 and 2019 sitting at the bottom of the pile.  Tried 2 so far and I don't find them terrible, just not very exciting.  Add me to the fandom of the PLMC though, they seem to have more punch right off the get go and will be much harder for me to want to wait on.  RASS is another I don't get yet, RAG yes, RASS is sitting next to the PLPC's waiting for that magic to happen.

• Like 1