Por Larranaga petit coronas: I just don't get the hype

What are your thoughts on 5 year aged Por Larranaga Petit Corona?  

172 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 minutes ago, Chibearsv said:

I've got a cab of 2018 and 2019 sitting at the bottom of the pile.  Tried 2 so far and I don't find them terrible, just not very exciting.  Add me to the fandom of the PLMC though, they seem to have more punch right off the get go and will be much harder for me to want to wait on.  RASS is another I don't get yet, RAG yes, RASS is sitting next to the PLPC's waiting for that magic to happen.

RAG >>> RASS 

RAS >>> RASS

:)

• Like 2

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When you get to be 55 years of age like myself, waiting 5 years or more for a box of cigars to be "on" is just too darn long. There is just too much other stuff in the Habanos line smoking great after

I am a lot older than you, and when you get to be my age you want to have things to look forward to--keep you going. I have a cab of PLPCs resting, and I plan to live long enough to smoke all of

I wasn't far off......57 : 43. Another 50 votes and I reckon we would get close to bang on 50:50 seldom fails 😁 Shall we try CORO next or maybe Monte 4? I am pretty sure you will be within a

What would be really interesting is if some of the guys who love them (which usually means the ones who get the infamous caramel) were willing to share a stick or two with some of the guys who "don't get them". Taste is obviously subjective but there is always that doubt of just not having the right box... 

I believe it has more to different folks taste different things than simply not getting the right box. 

I've never tasted peanut butter in a cigar...and I've smoked plenty of Punch cigars. 

Taste is subjective, and likely the culprit to these discussions. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Hammer Smokin' said:

I believe it has more to different folks taste different things than simply not getting the right box. 

I've never tasted peanut butter in a cigar...and I've smoked plenty of Punch cigars. 

I've tasted the caramel in one or two PLMCs but never in a PLPC.

On Punch cigars I think that's a specific vitola thing. I don't think punch is peanut in general. I definitely don't get that. I think Marca wise Cuaba is peanut or more so than any other marca. I might have gotten that once or twice though I don't generally smoke Cuabas.

I've smoked about 15 of them from a '17 cab, and they're OK at best. I'll get a puff or two of a dry sweetness...fleeting caramel? Then promptly onto generic tobacco and bitterness. I have another cab just sleeping. Hibernating. They look the same, smell the same, but maybe I'll try one at the 7yr mark. A relatively inexpensive experiment, but count me in the don't get em for now. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NYgarman said:

So a few years ago I decided to buy a cab of these due to the feedback here on the forum. An LGR17 coded box. I have burned through almost half the cab and they are underwhelming to say the least. No caramel, honey sweetness that members describe. I equate this stick more to a yard 'gar for chomping on when out on the mower cutting the grass. I know those say magic happens after 5 years of age, but I see no progression in that direction. Simply straight forward Cuban earthy tobacco. What are your thoughts with these cigars?

My experience exactly, except i have an 18 box.

My 2015s were pretty awful up until the 5 year mark and then the light switch flipped and are now awesome, so these at least follow what I’ve heard about the 5 year thing. Don’t know about the caramel though. Not even sure how to interpret that one in terms of cigar flavors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We haven't experienced enough to vote. Had a single that was picked up from the carts but gave it to another FOH'er in trade. It wasn't a good experience for them. Have a lonely '14 from a trade and may have to pull it out due to this thread. Our oldest cab is an '18 in the waiting.

I prefer them young and hostile,  but to be honest, I think the hype really belongs to PLMC, for me a much finer cigar.

I think you get a cooler, sweeter, more intense smoke from the PLMC.    Both cigars are quite linear and without too much evolution/transition 

I understand if people prefer to smoke a petit corona size,   but in terms of quality of smoke the PLMC wins everytime

• Like 1

I prefer them young and hostile,  but to be honest, I think the hype really belongs to PLMC, for me a much finer cigar.
I think you get a cooler, sweeter, more intense smoke from the PLMC.    Both cigars are quite linear and without too much evolution/transition 
I understand if people prefer to smoke a petit corona size,   but in terms of quality of smoke the PLMC wins everytime
I enjoy the recent production PLPC's.
I don't find them to be anything special really. But plenty tasty and reasonably priced so i smoke them fairly often.

I agree that the PLMC is a better smoke too. I really like them, and they are one of the very few sticks under 40rg that I smoke regularly. Very tasty and never had a tight one, which is the reason I dont go under 40rg much. The skinnier smokes seem to often be rolled to tight for my liking, and they are too thin to use my Modus tool on .

There are a handful of exceptions to my rule though

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have a box from 2014. Smoked a couple a year till now and I thought they were bad. Harsh, acidic, almost chemical. I could not finish any of them. The first few puffs were ok, but downhill from that. I tried again this year, still not very good but maybe better? This is going to sound dumb, but I read some reviews and changed a few things. First, I dry boxed one before smoking (I keep my cigars at 58-60Rh). Maybe that dry box actually raised the Rh a bit? I don’t know. Then I read somewhere on here to “blow through” the spice when retro’ing, meaning deal with the pain and watery eyes. All that worked. Now, I really thing most of it is placebo effect, but I’m really liking them now. No caramel for me. I find spice, floral, honey/floral, and citrus. I think if you set yourself up for this caramel experience that’s so unique you expect it to grab you, and it does not happen, you are going to either be let down, or misinterpret the flavors that your palette is picking up. To be short, go in with no expectations and an open mind. After I did that, all the PLCPs seemed to turn a corner. I don’t think it was the box suddenly being “on”, I think it was me. 

I like the plpc, I think they’re a good value way for someone to buy a 50 box and experience a cigars evolution over time (providing you don’t power through a box in a few months). They aren’t a super premium but they don’t charge that money either. If you go in expecting the flavour and complexity of an Sir Winnie, then you are going to be let down.
I would say they are also far less polarising than the rass (which I am still yet to be won over by). 

• Like 1

This cigar is obviously very polarizing. I am a firm believer in the saying life is too short to smoke bad cigars or cigars you don't like. I will likely trade my partial box away to someone who will love them for something I currently love. The PLPC is definitely not that. Cheers 

• Like 1

I have LGR OCT19 HQ box from our host with beautiful looking wrappers and they are smoking the way they look. You have to find good box or there is a chance to end with garbage smokes. For the price they are simple good sticks, which I enjoy from time to time. I don't have high exceptions from  petit coronas in general but I do enjoy quality monte 4 with my morning coffee sometimes. 

I have LGR OCT19 HQ box from our host with beautiful looking wrappers and they are smoking the way they look. You have to find good box or there is a chance to end with garbage smokes. For the price they are simple good sticks, which I enjoy from time to time. I don't have high exceptions from  petit coronas in general but I do enjoy quality monte 4 with my morning coffee sometimes. 
I agree. I smoke a lot of PC's, and enjoy many different ones, but none have ever been anything stellar. Just solid, tasty smokes, but very one dimensional.
A good value vitola in my opinion.
I would consider the Monte 4's to be the best PC by far. Have smoked many and loved them.
Hooked on the no.3's now though

51 minutes ago, Paso said:

Mine have same LGR code. Taste is just underwhelming 

20190314_070158.jpg

20190314_070112.jpg

9 minutes ago, smbauerllc said:

I agree. I smoke a lot of PC's, and enjoy many different ones, but none have ever been anything stellar. Just solid, tasty smokes, but very one dimensional.
A good value vitola in my opinion.
I would consider the Monte 4's to be the best PC by far. Have smoked many and loved them.
Hooked on the no.3's now though

Monte 4 is far beyond the PLPC in every way IMO. I am burning through my third 2014 box of Monte 4 and they are so damn good. Also love the Rafael Gonzalez PC and the Sancho Non Plus. All fantastic small cigars. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sonarman81 said:

I have a box from 2014

Thanks for the post.     If the veteran reviews (from another group) are correct these should start grabbing your attention as a truly outstanding smoke in the next year or so.   The old-timers says things like "addictive, like crack", "can't keep my hands off them", "why was I so stupid I smoked half the box when they weren't ready yet".    (Most folks who hit that point keep their mouths shut--otherwise they would be flooded with trade and/or begging requests.  🙂  )

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Hammer Smokin' said:

Taste is surely subjective and maybe more likely to be the culprit, but how can you really know whether or not it's the box without testing? That's why I said it would be an interesting experiment. 

Monte 4 is far beyond the PLPC in every way IMO. I am burning through my third 2014 box of Monte 4 and they are so damn good. Also love the Rafael Gonzalez PC and the Sancho Non Plus. All fantastic small cigars. 
Nice.
I'm hooked on the no.3's now so haven't been buying any no.4's for a while. I was gifted 5 2011 no.3's and have loved the 3 I've smoked so far. Age definitely suits them.
I Enjoy the Rafael Gonzalez pc too, but didn't care for the non plus.
Have a couple of the Belgian Sancho Panza ER's to try still. Hoping they change my opinion of the marca

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NYgarman said:

I may try a box of these, they are cheap priced.

Yeah, I love the Montecarlo. Not because of the flavor, which isn't bad but my sense of taste and smell have been off since covid, but because they're just perfectly agreeable, priced right, and look pleasing with their cute gold band.

They're my "I want something skinny but not special and not a long smoke" smoke. I also smoke these NC xahi Bobbi as well for that, but they're not skinny.

• Like 1

I've smoked a handful out of my clearance cab of LGR MAR 18.  They aren't going to win any beauty contests, but they are enjoyable.  I don't 'Love Them'.  I would have voted for something in between 'Love Them' and 'They are OK'.  If anyone wants to try mine I would be a willing to trade.

PXL_20210603_153007798.jpg

• Like 2

I've smoked a handful out of my clearance cab of LGR MAR 18.  They aren't going to win any beauty contests, but they are enjoyable.  I don't 'Love Them'.  I would have voted for something in between 'Love Them' and 'They are OK'.  If anyone wants to try mine I would be a willing to trade.
PXL_20210603_153007798.jpg.86018e8a2767f2be3b4879560021e7f5.jpg

Oooph, that one on the left!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, NYgarman said:

So a few years ago I decided to buy a cab of these due to the feedback here on the forum. An LGR17 coded box. I have burned through almost half the cab and they are underwhelming to say the least. No caramel, honey sweetness that members describe. I equate this stick more to a yard 'gar for chomping on when out on the mower cutting the grass. I know those say magic happens after 5 years of age, but I see no progression in that direction. Simply straight forward Cuban earthy tobacco. What are your thoughts with these cigars?

I thought the same way as you — until let a cab (remaining part) age about 8 years.  It is a way different cigar, very flavorful and balanced, with notes of that Carmel and honey I like.

• Like 2