Por Larranaga petit coronas: I just don't get the hype

What are your thoughts on 5 year aged Por Larranaga Petit Corona?  

172 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, CigarZen said:

I thought the same way as you — until let a cab (remaining part) age about 8 years.  It is a way different cigar, very flavorful and balanced, with notes of that Carmel and honey I like.

I'm trading my box away. 8 years is way too long for a cheap cab of PC to become enjoyable. Other PCs are fantastic with one or two years box age. 

• Like 1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When you get to be 55 years of age like myself, waiting 5 years or more for a box of cigars to be "on" is just too darn long. There is just too much other stuff in the Habanos line smoking great after

I am a lot older than you, and when you get to be my age you want to have things to look forward to--keep you going. I have a cab of PLPCs resting, and I plan to live long enough to smoke all of

I wasn't far off......57 : 43. Another 50 votes and I reckon we would get close to bang on 50:50 seldom fails 😁 Shall we try CORO next or maybe Monte 4? I am pretty sure you will be within a

You have to admit Prez, it keeps many markets "open" with Cuban sales. Likely there is a market that doesn't like, and a market that does like, almost all cuban cigars!

2 hours ago, El Presidente said:

I wasn't far off......57 : 43. Another 50 votes and I reckon we would get close to bang on 50:50

seldom fails 😁

Shall we try CORO next or maybe Monte 4? I am pretty sure you will be within a few points of the above result.

So it should be. Every palate is unique. 

CORO is admittedly a great stick. But I refuse to shell out $560 USD for a box of robustos. Monte 4 has classic Monte flavors in a more desirable and IMO consistent vitola than the Monte #2. So these are winners in my "subjective" opinion! BTW I would gladly part with my cab of PLPC for either any day of the week

3 minutes ago, NYgarman said:

CORO is admittedly a great stick. But I refuse to shell out $560 USD for a box of robustos. Monte 4 has classic Monte flavors in a more desirable and IMO consistent vitola than the Monte #2. So these are winners in my "subjective" opinion! BTW I would gladly part with my cab of PLPC for either any day of the week

You are certainly not alone!  

I can pretty much guarantee you that CORO is disliked between 40%- 50% of FOH members. By disliked I mean " I just don't get it". 

Monte 4 may do slightly better but not by much. 

Let's test it out :D

• Like 1

I bought a box of 2017 PLPC back then, eagerly tried one after the customary rest and it's the only Cuban thus far that I have had to pitch after only a few puffs- just unsmokably bad. I've tried two a year since then from the same box, got to about the half way mark and couldn't smoke it any more. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the magical transformation next year. I love caramel, so my hopes are kept alive with the anticipation. I smoked a 16 RyJ Exhibicion No4 last week that had a honey/caramel thing going all the way and it was bliss.

• Like 1

i bought a few plpc from the lcdh in costa rica some years ago and i didn't find caramel, but a wonderful burnt-sugar quality that i'm sure others recognize as caramel. for me there needs to be an unmistakable butteriness to turn that burnt-sugar into caramel, and i've not tasted it in any cigar.

i voted "love them" because when they are on, they're amazing.

won't lie though, i have a '15 cab that has yet to give a good smoke, but i have a couple of '17's that are amazing and still too strong. hoping they all improve, but not counting on that '15 cab.

-dobbs

1 hour ago, El Presidente said:

You are certainly not alone!  

I can pretty much guarantee you that CORO is disliked between 40%- 50% of FOH members. By disliked I mean " I just don't get it". 

Monte 4 may do slightly better but not by much. 

Let's test it out :D

I just finished off an El Laguito box of Monte#4 MUO 14. The whole box was just fantastic. Burn, draw, flavor notes. Simply Monte heaven. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RichG-LI-NY said:

Is PLPC the only current production available in 50 cab only? 

Yes. The others (I.e. the Ramon Allones Specially Selected, Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure No.2, Hoyo de Monterrey Double Corona, Partagas Lusitanias and Partagas Shorts) have other (smaller) packaging options also.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, RichG-LI-NY said:

Is PLPC the only current production available in 50 cab only? 

As @JohnS said all the other 50 cabs are also available in smaller sizes. I think PLPC has been the last 50 cab only release ever since the SLR Double Coronas were discontinued in 2013.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bijan said:

As @JohnS said all the other 50 cabs are also available in smaller sizes. I think PLPC has been the last 50 cab only release ever since the SLR Double Coronas were discontinued in 2013.

Cuban Cigar Website shows 25 dress and slides being discontinued circa 2002. Seems odd to me that PLPC are 50 only. I wonder if in 2002 the 50 sales outperformed the 25 that significantly. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RichG-LI-NY said:

Cuban Cigar Website shows 25 dress and slides being discontinued circa 2002. Seems odd to me that PLPC are 50 only. I wonder if in 2002 the 50 sales outperformed the 25 that significantly. 

My guess is due to the connoisseur cult of 5-year caramel and low price overall 50 cabs sell relatively well. Though PLPC is not a big seller in general.

Everything else pretty much went the opposite way in 2002-2003 with most 50 cabs being discontinued in that period or around then, so this one is going against the trend.

• Like 1

I've been smoking through two PLPC cabs, LEP DIC 16 and TOS FEB 17. They have varied, but the best ones have been really good. A few from the '16 box have had a taste I'd definitely describe as caramel and some floral bit. Had one a couple weeks ago the day after I had a year old and very good Siglo II, and that PLPC was probably a bit better.

I also really like Monte 4s, BPCs, BCJs, PLMCs, RGPCs... I think it's great that these modestly priced small sticks often punch way above their weight. But I'm sure there are boxes of all of these out there that are entirely crap, too.

1 hour ago, RichG-LI-NY said:

Around that time the Por Larranaga Petit Coronas and Montecarlos were machine-made and discontinued. The collective thinking amongst enthusiast consumers was that they would not come back. 

That they did, as handmade cigars in a 50 cab option, was a great surprise indeed.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, miamipadronsmoker said:
Smoked a 2003 CoRo last night. Down to the last few in the box. Cigar was so good I almost cried. One of the best cigars I’ve ever smoked. Some of the CoRo I’ve purchased lately will no doubt be just as good. As with all these cigars people just don’t get it comes down to the right vintage. Can’t expect the same cigar to be exceptional year in year out. Even if it’s your favorite.

The CoRos is tied with the Siglo II as my favorite Cohiba.
Smoke a lot more of the Siglo's though due to the price of CoRos now

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, miamipadronsmoker said:

Smoked a 2003 CoRo last night. Down to the last few in the box. Cigar was so good I almost cried. One of the best cigars I’ve ever smoked. Some of the CoRo I’ve purchased lately will no doubt be just as good. As with all these cigars people just don’t get it comes down to the right vintage. Can’t expect the same cigar to be exceptional year in year out. Even if it’s your favorite.

I've had that experience a few times. I'll take a good aged Cohiba over almost anything else Cuba has to offer.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2021 at 10:55 PM, Hammer Smokin' said:

I believe it has more to different folks taste different things than simply not getting the right box. 

I've never tasted peanut butter in a cigar...and I've smoked plenty of Punch cigars. 

Taste is subjective, and likely the culprit to these discussions. 

Spot on for Punch for me as well. I’ve tasted boiled peanuts but always the dryness and never the sweetness of peanut butter. And as a result, I don’t have many Punch sticks. Never been a fan of boiled peanuts. I do love peanut butter though. Same nut, different flavors. 
just finished some late afternoon yard work. Not sure when I need to be ready to go out for Friday night, so I opted to fire up a 2017 PLPC I had handy in case I had to put it out before I was done I wouldn’t be leaving an expensive stick half smoked. I just went back to this cab last week. First stick was creamy and hints of caramel. So far this one has started out like it was a creamy Hoyo. For me this stick punches way above its $5-6 mark. 
Had my third QD 50 last night. For me the flavor profile doesn’t hit that price mark or my box is just meh. Proving once again that art of the Cuban cigar is in the eye (or mouth) of the smoker. One of the many reasons I also don’t chase the RE/LE Dragon. 
this box of plpc will be going into rotation. I have another from19 aging. Will likely pick up another cab when I’m halfway done with this 17.  

• Like 1

Have a 1/2 cab buried for another 18 months or so waiting for the “magical” timeframe everyone talks about. Def like other petites younger but will see. Figure they will be great then on search for aged ones since I can’t wait every 5 years.