Montecristo No.2

What can expect in terms of flavour?

ive never tasted aged examples

and even fresh don’t have much experience 

2 hours ago, Islandboy said:

Happily, I get to do both as of 20 minutes ago :D

Likewise, this is why I asked the question! Lol

• Like 1

I will defer to the experts on how the 2016 crop was. My preferences generally are for 2014, then 2018 and after. Don’t know enough about crops/codes pre 2014 to make the investments required to find out. And I’m kinda meh on Monte 2. Have a few boxes from 2020 (Psp), 2019 and an early 2018 10’er I have yet to visit. Hoping for more magic there. 

• JohnS changed the title to Montecristo No.2

Monte 2 has been a staple in my rotation for almost 20 years.  I’d say they are as good right now as I’ve had them in 15 years.  If you have the ability to store/age, I’d buy plenty of Monte 2s that you can smoke now because they are great now, and plenty to age as I’m excited to have these in 3-5 years.  I can’t speak to the exact boxes from the PCC program, but my recollection is the teens years were not kind to Monte 2s.   Of course there were good examples but not with the consistency of late 2019-present.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The PCC one's look fine enough.  I personally wouldn't pay the extra for them as my cigars will get that old either way, but if you want to kick start your aged cigars that is certainly a good way.

• Like 1

I'm going to echo a lot of what's been said already.  I won't speak for specific production years as far as which is better but I will say that in general, as much as I like a PSP Monte 2 at a young age, 3-5 years makes them magical for me in general.  Doesn't mean you're guaranteed that a 2015 PCC is going to be glorious but if you can afford to take the risk and you are impatient like me, I'd go for it.  If you want more of a sure thing, I'd go with the PSP 2020 and smoke a couple early on and put the remainder into a coma for 3 years and then try them again.

• Like 2

I assume that the PCC program holds back cigars that they select that they think will age well. If you're looking for 5 year old cigars I think you'll do well buying from that program. I had a box of Edmundos from PCC and they were fantastic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, havanaclub said:

No need to go psp either. Quality of 19-21 is excellent.

Agreed. Blind buying with these years has been very safe in my experience. Buy when on sale and save money for more boxes! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CaptainQuintero said:

Blind Monte no.2 is about as risky a cigar proposal that I can think of.  

PSP every day of the week and twice on Sundays

PCC are not so blind in this case.

5 hours ago, mprach024 said:

Monte 2 has been a staple in my rotation for almost 20 years.  I’d say they are as good right now as I’ve had them in 15 years.  If you have the ability to store/age, I’d buy plenty of Monte 2s that you can smoke now because they are great now, and plenty to age as I’m excited to have these in 3-5 years.  I can’t speak to the exact boxes from the PCC program, but my recollection is the teens years were not kind to Monte 2s.   Of course there were good examples but not with the consistency of late 2019-present.  

4 hours ago, havanaclub said:

I would personally go with recent production. No need to go psp either. Quality of 19-21 is excellent.

I would advocate the same. I've had Montecristo No.2s from the mid-2010s at around the five year mark and I've had Monte 2s from 2019 to the present. Given the choice, I'd go for recent 2019 to the present regular production because it's been that good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

2015 was not special and an aged turd will still just be a turd.  I’d go 2020 all day long, every single day.

My friend had a box in 2009 that offered up the finest Monte 2s I’ve ever had and we were smoking them with 6-12 months of age.  I have had many since then, from different years and at varied amounts of more advanced age, and they just haven’t been close to the  box from 2009.

May the cigar odds be forever in your favor!

• Thanks 1