To smoke or to sell?

I have a plethora of super exciting aged boxes in my collection that I managed to acquire at reasonable prices. 
how does one decide whether to crack these boxes open and smoke them, or flip them for a large profit on bond Roberts?

(under the assumption that we don’t have multiple boxes of the same cigar) 

It is a personal matter depending on how you value the pleasure from smoking a box of well aged cigars. To be if you decided to sell and you find a buyer, at least you are making two botls happier, why not.

They only occasion I would call unethical, would be something I saw on another cigar forum. A guy was seeking 100ish sticks at some fantastic price and in this post he implied he wanted to all to those who wants to enjoy them. A few days Later I saw the cigars were divided into 5ers and 10ers being sold by another forum member.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Sad 1

Personally I would smoke them unless you find some you don't care for, in which case, sell those.

Keep in mind this comes from someone who can no longer buy boxes, and can't have a coolerdor or cabinet to keep them if I could, so aged Cigars are a very rare, extreme, precious item to me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 4

It all comes down to you. Where multiples are concerned. That's easy. Keep some to smoke, some to sell.  For the one offs, ask yourself if you'd rather have the money or the pleasure of enjoying a finely, aged cigar now and then.  With some added bragging rights if they're HTF now. :) I'm in a similar situation. I'm eyeing some one off boxes that I know could command some good $'s.  But..I also know I'll never be able to find them again or afford them the second time around.  Also, any boxes that are partial, can still be sold down the road.  But please, don't sell if they are duds. 

• Like 1

"Cigars will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no cigars."

For me it would depend on how well I like the cigars. And don't forget, you'll pay commissions on BR.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, joeypots said:

"Cigars will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no cigars."

For me it would depend on how well I like the cigars. And don't forget, you'll pay commissions on BR.

Current setup on BR is that buyer pays all comission (15%).

Edit: I mean technically that's still eating into what you are getting as a seller, but most buyers think of the hammer price, at least that's how I end up most of the time.

• Like 3

I wouldn't consider that unethical. Cigars are items that are simply a kind of goods. And like the general category of unrestricted goods, their buying and selling should conform to the dictates of the market. Which means appropriate pricing, accurate description of the items, etc. If someone chooses to sell cigars at $1 each to someone who can then sell them in the market for the going rate of $2, more power to them. This just means the item was underpriced in the first transaction. And in this case, for example, the seller's wish was driving the discounting against market rate.
But cigars are not special in any sense of which I'm aware. There's no moral or personal oblligation that follows a cigar that is binding. And seller's wishes terminate once the goods changes hands in a legitimate transaction. If the buyer chooses this. The only time is if the terms of the sale introduced a restriction that is agreed to. For example, "I'll sell them to you at this price only if you do not resell them." and "I agree." This is a contract.

I wouldn't consider that unethical. Cigars are items that are simply a kind of goods. And like the general category of unrestricted goods, their buying and selling should conform to the dictates of the market. Which means appropriate pricing, accurate description of the items, etc. If someone chooses to sell cigars at $1 each to someone who can then sell them in the market for the going rate of $2, more power to them. This just means the item was underpriced in the first transaction. And in this case, for example, the seller's wish was driving the discounting against market rate.
But cigars are not special in any sense of which I'm aware. There's no moral or personal oblligation that follows a cigar that is binding. And seller's wishes terminate once the goods changes hands in a legitimate transaction. If the buyer chooses this. The only time is if the terms of the sale introduced a restriction that is agreed to. For example, "I'll sell them to you at this price only if you do not resell them." and "I agree." This is a contract.

Fair and my bad that I did not explain myself well.

What I meant was unless the buyer promised to the seller, implicitly or explicitly, that he purchase the cigars for personal pleasure not for resell, the buyer has every right to sell the cigars at whatever prices he wants. However, if a promise has been made, IMO it is a legally binding contract, and I shall honor the contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Bijan said:

Current setup on BR is that buyer pays all comission (15%).

Edit: I mean technically that's still eating into what you are getting as a seller, but most buyers think of the hammer price, at least that's how I end up most of the time.

OK

Unless you need the money to spend/buy/invest on something else, I would keep the boxes. Just looking at the price differences between say 2018 and now you can tell that whatever money you can get from those boxes on BR will not buy you a whole lot of stuff 4-5 years from now. 

• Like 1

The more you sell, the more money you to have to buy new boxes.  Getting the new box is half the fun.  You know which cigars you are fond of.  I'd say just sell them.

• Like 1

I would take the box of Behike 54 over some boxes of BBF/BRC/D4. 

And that my friends is how it works. Prez says it's a good deal for him. I say I'd rather the Behike 54's - a good deal for me. 

OP, you need to determine what a good deal is to you

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Hammer Smokin' said:

I would take the box of Behike 54 over some boxes of BBF/BRC/D4. 

And that my friends is how it works. Prez says it's a good deal for him. I say I'd rather the Behike 54's - a good deal for me. 

OP, you need to determine what a good deal is to you

Some watch guys prefer 3 steel 12K Rolex watches over a 36K solid 18K gold one. I prefer the gold one and love it. Same analogy. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Chibearsv said:

Pretty easy really:

Need money = sell.

Set with money and love cigars = smoke

Now, with a plethora of boxes, you have the luxury of doing both probably.  In which case smoke the ones you love and sell the ones you don't

this. 

• Like 1

Buy a box of something you like right now with a recent box code... smoke said box... do you enjoy it ? if so sell the old stuff and buy more. If you don't enjoy it, smoke the old stuff and don't look back.

I seldom find the value of old/LEs are worth their price if considering half of 1/3 the cost for fresh examples of a cigar i enjoy. Just like Rob mentioned earlier its a volume trade off. Smoke one box of old stuff that could be great, could be average. Or smoke 4 boxes that's not going to be great, but should be good and could be average.

Put it another way.... are you a person to buy one box of Cohiba Robustos (or your favourite robusto) instead of 2 boxes of RASS? if so then keep your aged stuff.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NYgarman said:

Some watch guys prefer 3 steel 12K Rolex watches over a 36K solid 18K gold one. I prefer the gold one and love it. Same analogy. 

Still rockin' that PM Sub? ;)

9 hours ago, joeypots said:

On Bond Roberts now the winning buyer pays a 15% surcharge on the won auction price not the seller pays a commission.  

1 hour ago, Ginseng said:

Still rockin' that PM Sub? ;)

Absolutely. BTW, we are leaving VA and moving to Myrtle Beach, SC. Hope you are well!

2 hours ago, HarveyBoulevard said:

Some guys prefer 3 girlfriends over a wife and some guys prefer a wife over 3 girlfriends, same analo....wait, different analogy, nevermind...

I prefer to keep my wife and add 3 girlfriends. Ha!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Chibearsv said:

Pretty easy really:

Need money = sell.

Set with money and love cigars = smoke

Now, with a plethora of boxes, you have the luxury of doing both probably.  In which case smoke the ones you love and sell the ones you don't

Can also be more complicated than that…… life can get in the way and you just don’t enjoy them much anymore or finding the time is hard. 

The debate comes in on whether to liquidate or hold and see if the time or predilection comes back.