Escaping the Westernised menu, Chinese restaurants.....what's your order?

54 minutes ago, Nino said:

Yes, but not one of his best Mario Conde novels I am afraid.

Have you read "The Man who loved dogs" by Padura ?

agreed not one of his best but anything by padura is better than the best of a lot of other writers. i think i have read pretty much everything he has written. also enjoyed the netflix series. 

11 minutes ago, ha_banos said:

Crazy 🤣 much tamer now though https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wong_Kei

No duck tongue, chicken feet or tripe for me!

i've just cooked lemon and garlic tripe curry in coconut cream this afternoon. wonderful.

i quite like the feet. the tongue is okay but never really been excited. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So a few recent favourites of mine have been,  Dan Dan noodles Mapo Tofu Morning Glory greens in garlic sauce Bean curd sheet beef and ginger dumplings

For all the ill's of the internet, I love the fact, that for how ever random and mentally ill the thought.    there will be an image or a product to go with it

I'm Chinese and I love sweet and sour pork 😂

On 6/14/2021 at 4:27 PM, Nino said:

Yes, but not one of his best Mario Conde novels I am afraid.

Have you read "The Man who loved dogs" by Padura ?

nino, just saw that there is a new conte novel by padura out this week. perfect timing! 

• Like 1

From what I hear from travellers and English alike, is that a lot of what's known as Chinese food in England is fried for booze hounds to scoff down. Maybe that's just the everyday takeaway. There is a restaurant in St Kilda in Melbourne where English and Irish backpackers go called Dave's Chinese - English & Irish style Chinese. They actually make some really good fried chicken balls in sweet n sour sauce. Good quality chicken. In Melbourne where I'm from and especially in the eastern suburbs where I live there is a lot of Chinese people so we get a lot of Chinese restaurants. I think the variety of dumplings are my favourite fare. China Red in the city is great. You order from a screen at your booth as you go. I think the Chinese handle duck and pork well. Can't go past Peking duck. Classic. It's very popular with Chinese students to have a hot pot. Pick your stock, ingredients, noodles and it's put together for you. Plus one for the pipis in XO sauce. Dainty Sechaun is a long time fav in Melbourne. Spicy prawns in Sechaun sauce - Hot yet sweet, you know it's going to hurt but you can't stop eating them. My favourite is the Supper Inn. It's open late and up stairs in an alley. A favourite of hospitality workers finishing their shift. Very basic decor and busy, noisy service. I like their muscles. Can't stand razor clams or mantis shrimp or red mullet but love pippies, prawns and salt and pepper flounder .But to be honest, I personally prefer Korean, Japanese and Malaysian ahead of Chinese. But it's a big country and very varied.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bill Hayes said:

From what I hear from travellers and English alike, is that a lot of what's known as Chinese food in England is fried for booze hounds to scoff down

There is a think called a 'Chinese Chippy' in the UK, this should in no way be confused with any attempt at being considered a Chinese Restaurant  

'Chinese Chippy's'  are basically 'Fish and Chip' shops that also a have a reduced menu of lots of dumbed down cantonese food.

There are some really good Chinese Restaurants in the UK,  but I would say there is still a huge swathe of the country that still just want sweet and sour chicken or salt and pepper ribs.    And hey.....theres nothing wrong with that, those dishes can be delicious...............especially when you're pissed. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fuzz said:

Salted Egg Yolk Chicken

Low Carb Salted Egg Yolk Chicken – Still Feeling Peckish

Interesting looking dish,  Are those curry leaves?

Wu Kok (Yam puff)  I've been tempted by these in the past, but have always folded and opted for the

Ham sui gok,  Just so naughtily good, crispy, gooey.  You can definitely feel your heart cringing as they go down. 

Ham-Sui-Gok-at-Chinatown-2.jpeg

4 hours ago, Fuzz said:

Xiao Long Bao

Chinese Steamed Soup Dumplings (Xiao Long Bao)

Love these, when done well.  I've had them a few times, but oddly little focus seemed to have gone into making the internal soup intensely flavourful. I've always thought, what on earth is the point in putting in a stock, if it's not really good stock. 

Oddly the one time i've had these done really well, was by a half Chinese chef in Antarctica.  he was an absolute legend,  made really good fresh baguettes too. It's a good place to endlessly obsess about getting things right. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Great topic! I often benefit from letting my friends with more experience and knowledge of Asian cuisine order for me.  Otherwise, I would pathetically default to Chang's spicy chicken and some noodles (I'm ashamed).  I love the variety of noodles available in Asian cuisine.  The most interesting I've had lately is a papaya salad (Tham Mak Houng) although it's technically Laotian and not Chinese and I do appreciate they are very different...."Fresh green papaya, tomatoes, fish sauce, shrimp paste, anchovy sauce, lime juice, sugar, and hot chilis" sorry I didn't take a pic. This dish was a wild ride for me.

https://www.stickyriceknox.com/menu

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1