FOH Summer Reading - Nonfiction

As always, I’m sure there’s a wealth of suggestions to come from the collective wisdom of the group. Looking to start a thread tracking some great nonfiction reads for this summer. New, old, doesn’t matter. Ideally something that pairs well with a double corona.

I’ll kick it off with this one: An Impeccable Spy by Owen Matthews. Fantastic read about a prolific Soviet spy operating in China and Japan in the 30s/40s. Highly recommend. https://www.amazon.com/Impeccable-Spy-Richard-Stalins-Master/dp/1408857782/ref=sr_1_1?crid=M3U2MGSQSWVP&dchild=1&keywords=impeccable+spy&qid=1623626746&sprefix=Impeccable+spy%2Caps%2C143&sr=8-1 

I’m about 3/4 of the way done with A Course Called America. It’s Tom Coynes new book. I highly recommend it to anyone who plays our game. 

• Like 1

The whole UFO thing is a (another :-))  hobby of mine, and I finally got around to reading one of the classics:

Harvard Professor John Mack's "Passport to the Cosmos".   The subtitle tells you what it is about--"Human Transformation and Alien Encounters"

• Like 1

terrific thread, though for us, winter. and all i have been reading lately is fiction (another thread?).i do read a fair bit of non fiction but lately, reading enough of it for work. so a bit useless but always keen to see thoughts and recommendations. 

the last non fiction i read is an absolute must for any fishermen, especially fly fisherman, monty burke's 'lord of the flies'. the history and never-ending personal battles in the development of the florida region for tarpon flyfishing. great stuff. 

• Like 1

Just finished the latest John Gierach - Dumb Luck and the Kindness of Strangers. Coupled it with a re-reading of his first 1986 collection, Trout Bum. If you like fly fishing, you'll love either of these.

Sent by spooky action at a distance

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Akela3rd said:

Just finished the latest John Gierach - Dumb Luck and the Kindness of Strangers. Coupled it with a re-reading of his first 1986 collection, Trout Bum. If you like fly fishing, you'll love either of these.

Sent by spooky action at a distance

have read quite a bit of gierach. lovely writer. 

EDIT:  I missed the whole 'nonfiction' part before I typed this.

I'm on a roll this month.  I bet I've read 20 books thus far.  A sampling of the titles for you edumacation...

• The Pout Pout Fish;
  • Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus;
  • Pete the Cat and the Bedtime Blues;
  • The Fearless Octopus;
  • The Hungry Caterpillar;

...and the pizza of resistance...

• There was an Old Lady Who Swallowed and Egg.

On a slightly more serious note (and I do mean SLIGHTLY more serious):

• Where is Joe Merchant? by Jimmy Buffett;
  • Tales from Margaritaville by Jimmy Buffett;
  • A Pirate Looks at Fifty by Jimmy Buffett;
  • Swine Not by Jimmy Buffett;
  • A Salty Piece of Land by Jimmy Buffett;
  • Jimmy Buffett:  The Key West Years by Tom Corcoran;
  • Jimmy Buffett:  A Good Life All The Way by Ryan White;

I am working my way through Tim Dorsey's series featuring Serge A Storms.   I also managed to get in a few finance books including a re-read of A Random Walk Down Wall Street by Burton G. Malkiel.  Lastly, Following the Equator by Mark Twain.

• Like 1

The Skies Belong to Us is great.  It details the insane number of Skyjacking in the late 60's early 70s (basically weekly)  as it  threads the lives of a couple that made it to Africa from the states.  One guy even hijacked a plane in Bermuda shorts and flip flops so he could hit the beach in Havana once they the plane landed.  

• Like 1

William Manchester’s Churchill series is one of my all-time favorites. Fantastic author.

6 hours ago, Meesterjojo said:

I'd recommend  "a world lit only by fire", by William Manchester,  and "AD 1000" about pope Sylvester II

I just read Theodore Dalrympels "Life at the bottom". Well written and very funny at times. Dalrymple worked for years as a doctor in an inner city area and in a prison, he writes about the british underclass, why it continues and the unintended effects of liberal politics.

• Like 1