Beatles' best individual songs - post split

came across this clip of george harrison's 'what is life' recently. 

fabulous clip - i read somewhere that his family held a competition for a video to go with the song and this was the winner (prize was $5K which seems a bit cheap for a squillionaire's family). i gather the two in it are part of a ballet company - they can obviously dance but there is a charming awkwardness to it. i have no idea why but for me, it is a brilliant video - hard to take one's eyes off it. and of course, a brilliant song. 

got me thinking - after the beatles broke up, each of them had one absolutely standout song ahead of everything else they did. i'm sure that people will debate this (and they are, of course, welcome to their opinion, however wrong it might be).

for harrison, this song.

ringo - photograph

lennon - imagine.

but, mccartney? sure, a heap of good songs but do you automatically think of any of them as his great song post the split? i'd guess 'live and let die' or preferably 'band on the run', but do either scream that they are a great song? does he have one? is he the beatle that didn't make the next level? 

thoughts? 

• Like 3

• JohnS changed the title to Beatles' best individual songs - post split
13 minutes ago, JohnS said:

The best Paul McCartney song, without doubt, would have to be Maybe I'm Amazed...

It was written in late 1969, about his wife Linda, after the Beatles had essentially gone their separate ways personally (it would take another 5 years - late December 1974 for the Beatles to separate legally in a business sense).

This song was by far the stand out on McCartney's self-titled Album released in 1970. He played all the instruments himself, it was the most professionally recorded song on 'McCartney', the other songs were what we call 'lo-fi', they had a homely feel. Many critics write-off McCartney and acknowledge Band on the Run as the great post-Beatle album for Paul. I would agree with that but I personally love McCartney for what it is.

Paul McCartney never released this song as a single or else we would have all heard about it. It did get a lot of radio airplay. It is the only Paul McCartney solo song listed in the Rolloing Stones Top 500 singles in 2011 at No.347.

did not think of it. good choice John. 

• Thanks 1

Individual songs are hard, but to me George had the best solo career in a walk.  Testament to how brutally John and especially Paul repressed his talent within the group.  He didn't release the sheer volume Paul did (who has) but the level was tremendous.

For George it's a case of spoiled by choice.  All Things Must Pass?  Beware of Darkness?  My Sweet Lord?

Ringo - Photograph (effectively a George composition).

Paul - Maybe I'm Amazed is the clear choice for me, too.

John - Instant Karma for me - Imagine was a favorite in my youth, but I find it a bit maudlin now.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Deeg said:

Individual songs are hard, but to me George had the best solo career in a walk.  Testament to how brutally John and especially Paul repressed his talent within the group.  He didn't release the sheer volume Paul did (who has) but the level was tremendous.

For George it's a case of spoiled by choice.  All Things Must Pass?  Beware of Darkness?  My Sweet Lord?

Ringo - Photograph (effectively a George composition).

Paul - Maybe I'm Amazed is the clear choice for me, too.

John - Instant Karma for me - Imagine was a favorite in my youth, but I find it a bit maudlin now.

i think the problem with Imagine is that it has been done to death in every possible way. what has not been advertised to the sound of it? if you take all that away, it is a simple song but a great one (i think 3 on john's top 500 list). 

paul very much quantity over quality. 

my sweet lord is another cracker and does run what is life close but i still go with it. george was fabulous - while my guitar gently weeps, one of my fave beatles of all. be interesting to know if it was john and paul repressing him or if he simply took time to get to the level he did. not sure how much he was doing in the early days. perhaps a bit of both. but as someone said, if george is the third songwriter in your band, a pretty strong band! 

19 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

i think the problem with Imagine is that it has been done to death in every possible way. what has not been advertised to the sound of it? if you take all that away, it is a simple song but a great one (i think 3 on john's top 500 list). 

paul very much quantity over quality. 

my sweet lord is another cracker and does run what is life close but i still go with it. george was fabulous - while my guitar gently weeps, one of my fave beatles of all. be interesting to know if it was john and paul repressing him or if he simply took time to get to the level he did. not sure how much he was doing in the early days. perhaps a bit of both. but as someone said, if george is the third songwriter in your band, a pretty strong band! 

Oh, it was them repressing him - there's lots out there on this, including quotes from George himself.  He didn't start out writing much (he was the baby in the band, don't forget) but once he got the knack he was churning out gems that the "bosses" refused to allow on albums.  At one point when things got bad enough that the splinter was writing on the wall, John suggested that he, Paul and George each get four tracks per album as a way to keep things going, but Paul rejected giving George four tracks out of hand.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Deeg said:

Oh, it was them repressing him - there's lots out there on this, including quotes from George himself.  He didn't start out writing much (he was the baby in the band, don't forget) but once he got the knack he was churning out gems that the "bosses" refused to allow on albums.  At one point when things got bad enough that the splinter was writing on the wall, John suggested that he, Paul and George each get four tracks per album as a way to keep things going, but Paul rejected giving George four tracks out of hand.

given the interaction which a good friend of mine had with mccartney, it does not surprise me at all. 

• Like 2

John: Oh, My Love. First album after breakup. To his wife and to his mates I would think.

Paul: Maybe I’m Amazed. He played everything himself, including the drums. Great strat solo...

George: Living in the Material World. “John and Paul are in the material world and we got Richie in it, too...” Yep, they all came back for George.

Ringo: I Am the Greatest. John wrote it for him.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Deeg said:

Yes, Mark Lewisohn, the official Beatle Historian is currently writing his second book of three on the history of the Beatles. His first, Tune In, came out in 2013. The second part of this series isn't expected to be released until 2023 at least. Apple, the company started by the Beatles in 1968 for tax purposes which indirectly started the major conflicts that ended the band is still going as a company handling Beatle affairs. In late 2019 Lewisohn had a copy of a tape recording, done for Ringo who was in hospital for a small surgical procedure whereby John , Paul, George were discussing sharing quotas of songs on the next Beatle album after Abbey Rd. This contradicts the official story that the Beatles knew that Abbey Rd would be their last album recorded. Lewisohn was going to do a tour discussing the recording of Abbey Rd but a legal injuction by Apple prevented him from discussing or playing that audio recording.

So there you go folks. The Beatles had a recording contract until 1974 and were entertaining the idea of doing separate solo work and releasing more product in early September 1969 to fulfil that contract.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

George was a late bloomer, but he was the best of them in the end, IMHO.  In any art form the ability to combine simplicity and profundity is a rare trait, and George had it.  Also one of the most underrated (though not by his peers) guitarists in rock history.  "Serve the song" was his mantra.  And while he was no angel (his womanizing is the stuff of legend) I sincerely doubt you could have gotten a turnout of friends for a tribute concert like that for John or (ROFL) Paul.  He was a very special individual.

• Like 1

“Junk” on the 1st McCartney album. A song about throwing away old stuff to buy new. Something about it reminds me of my grandfather. 😔

• Like 1

“Here Today.” Paul wrote that after John was killed. Still makes me tear up when I hear it...

31 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

covers are hardly what we are looking for, fuzz. do try and keep up. 

you win one origin and think you can get away with anything. 

Fine. Ok.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

One of my favourites John :ok:

Anyone in long lasting love will pick Maybe I’m Amazed. Was our immediate thought for first pick as well…

Live and Let Die would be second in all it’s grandiose symphonic rock splendor. GnR absolutely took it to the next level. 

• Like 1

Best? I don't know. But Lennon's Watching The Wheels is up there. There's a first class version by Willie and his sons here. Guns in the US, breaks my heart, John Lennon, OMG.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joeypots said:

Lennon's Watching The Wheels is up there

Yep, I'm not a big John fan, but I thought this tune was fantastic, with it (aparrantly) being written as a f-you to lots of people telling that he should be writing.   Jesus, when you had made such an impact to the world before you 21st birthday.......it would have been so hard listening to people handing out advice.  You'd be like "listen mate, what have you done with your life".

Love Willie Nelson, looking a little frail, It will be really sad, when he's no longer around.  There was a great quality of the one of those younger performers that reminded me of Neil Finn's voice