Cuban LE's look cheap by comparison

6 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Unfortunately, this is the kind of thing pushing the ELs into the kinds of packaging we saw for 2019. $150 more for lacquered boxes. And a foot band is bad enough, let alone a foot ribbon. Please. 

I think Opus X has jumped the shark. I remember when they were actually rare and one line. Now it seems every other Fuente is an Opus X...:thinking:

Agreed. It's all marketing now. It's crazy how guys hunt these down like crazy too. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, yossie said:

Ayala seems to be forgotten about talisman and the original release of behike...

Not at all :D

People can charge what they like. The market determines success!

The Opus makes the RA 2019 LE look like a bargain. Who would have thought! 

Ramon Allones 2.jpg

1 hour ago, Kaptain Karl said:

Agreed. It's all marketing now. It's crazy how guys hunt these down like crazy too. 

When I was over in Tampa visiting my mates at Cutter’s cigar, I caught the tail end of the owner (Alex, Cuba travel companion) talking to someone about how people call and request boxes of the Opus line before he receives the shipment. They somehow know exactly how many boxes of each line he is going to get before he himself knows. They sell out in a day. I suspect these will too...

50 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

Ramon Allones 2.jpg

I still want one of those. Don’t even care about the cigars. Totally awesome box! 😀

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Unfortunately, this is the kind of thing pushing the ELs into the kinds of packaging we saw for 2019. $150 more for lacquered boxes. And a foot band is bad enough, let alone a foot ribbon. Please. 

I think Opus X has jumped the shark. I remember when they were actually rare and one line. Now it seems every other Fuente is an Opus X...:thinking:

Was not impressed at all with the “Lost City”. Halfway through I lost it in the ditty bin. 

• Like 3

I think HSA got their ideas from these guys. Or Ghurka.

• Like 2

There's some good cigars in the opus line up, and the regular production stuff isn't to expensive, the LE stuff like the BBMF, The Bull, ect ect. count me out. their just going to taste like a $100 dollar cigar.

The biggest problem with opus is the up charge over MSRP, most would be an alright deal at MSRP but often are sold for 3-4 times what Fuente set out for them to cost.

For you more experienced smokers of premium/exclusive NC, like the Opus series and Cuban equivalent maybe even a Talisman.

How is the taste experience for an Opus? I mean, are they from an objective perspective, great smokes, great tobacco and overall an exclusive cigar? (presuming good draw, setting aside costs, no construction issues, kept at right RH and Temp etc etc) 

Cheers

39 minutes ago, Edicion said:

For you more experienced smokers of premium/exclusive NC, like the Opus series and Cuban equivalent maybe even a Talisman.

How is the taste experience for an Opus? I mean, are they from an objective perspective, great smokes, great tobacco and overall an exclusive cigar? (presuming good draw, setting aside costs, no construction issues, kept at right RH and Temp etc etc) 

Cheers

Back when I smoked a lot of these they were definitely a step or three above most offerings at the time. Used to hang out with the Fuente and Newman gang at their CFC events around the turn of the century where there would be many 'special' rolls. Even then, the cigars you could find at your local shop (if you could find them) were noticeably of a higher quality of blend and construction than most cigars made around that timeframe.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Ramon Allones 2.jpg

Those RAs are tasty little sticks.  Based on how they were ROTT I had to load up on them with more inbound.  Don’t care what the secondary will be as I intend to smoke these myself.  And the box is nice to look at.  Call me a fool but I think all the 2019s LEs are great cigars and great young. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Kaptain Karl said:

It's crazy how guys hunt these down like crazy too. 

And most will never smoke what they "hunt down". Just for resale or showing off collections on Facebook. 

11 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Lost City were crap!  Regular line of Opus for me please.  I won’t search for them but I will buy them when I see them.

The Angel's Share IMO are the best ones with the traditional Opus in second. 

• Like 3

The regular line and angel's share are enjoyable cigars. I like the larger regular line, they dont seem to be so overwhelmingly strong fresh. Those and natural Padron 26/64 are about the only NC I get excited about at this point. Pretty pricey for all of them though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PigFish said:

Have little opinion on O-Piss!

Tabacuba, rather than emulate the quality of the cigar itself, decides to make a nicer box...! Once the world leader in cigars, now reduced to copying ex-pats to stay in business.

Give these people some of their land back and learn how to really make a cigar!!!

Cigars as a luxury item for rich people is really bad for promoting smoking and fostering the next generation of cigar enthusiasts. For the price of one of these rich-mans cigars, you can get high for a week, clear out the chip isle at Walmart for munchies, lure in someone from the opposite sex and get laid as well. If I were young again, I too would likely be smoking Grass, than Paragas!!!

-the Pig

As long as you're not luring someone in from the Walmart 😁

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Edicion said:

Cheers

Sample of one, FWIW these are my tasting notes from 2016:

Opus XXX Belicoso (3 years aging)

Cold draw unremarkable. Upon lighting toasted notes, some spice, mild coffee. Very simple, no complexity. Burning line is pretty bad, several touch ups needed. 

Draw is good. Smoke production good.

At the price point you can imagine why I never bought a second one...

• Haha 1

I’ve smoked and still own a number of the different OpusXs at various ages.   I just went through the line when inspired by a member who posted about going to an event a few weeks ago.  My 2 cents:

- Regular line is a good cigar, but overpriced for what they are.  They age nicely and at 7+ years they hit their stride.

- Lost City is again a solid cigar.  I like them with less than 5 years.  After that they become more muddled, seeming to lose complexity.  However I’ve only had the corona sized ones and the lancero.  A great lancero, but crazy expensive.

- Angels Share are my favorites of the line.  2-5 years is best for me.  However, newer ones don’t seem as good as 12ish years ago when they first came out.  But maybe my taste has changed.  They seem less sweet.

As for AF, at a similar price range I like the God of Fire line better, especially the Carlitos with the Cameroon wrapper.  The Anejo line I like much better and they are less than half the price.

The friends I have the are OpusX guys only collect the specials.  They rarely, if ever, smoke any of them.  For smoking it is the normal lines.

• Thanks 1