Coolerdor

smbauerllc

What brand cooler are you guys using for a coolerdor?

Want to order one, but want to be sure that will have a good seal, and I am unable to shop for them in person to see how the seal is, so was hoping for some recommendations on ones you guys use that are known to have a good seal.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I am very happy with my 82 qt Iris that I got through Target online. It isn’t a cooler but a large storage bin with locking clasps, weatherstrip seal, and you can even lock it if you wish. I can’t be certain but it appears that the same bin is also marketed as Remington.  I came across this brand after watching a YouTube video and learned that they are Halfwheel’s preferred storage containers. 

I got a Husky 20 gallon weatherproof storage tote from Home Depot. $30, indestructible and completely airtight. It’s so airtight that because a few vendors store and ship with a 69% boveda, I’m having to draw out humidity to get it down to 62-65.

7 minutes ago, smbauerllc said:

I wont be having a really big supply of boxes

We all said that at one point....   🙂

My suggestion--whatever storage you think you need--multiply by five.

We all said that at one point....   
My suggestion--whatever storage you think you need--multiply by five.
Lol
Probably true, but I do have a pretty limited monthly budget as I'm retired so have a fixed income, and rent here at the veteran's home takes up a pretty massive chunk of it, so I would only be able to afford a box a month, which on average would be my entire budget, so I wont be able to get too carried away.

Would just like to be able to pick up and store the occasional box of my few all-time favorites

42 minutes ago, smbauerllc said:

@triphitter

Very nice.
About how many Robusto size boxes does it hold?
I wont be having a really big supply of boxes, so this might be the ticket for the low price.

I'd say 12-14 minimum safely.

I'd say 12-14 minimum safely.
That's cool
That should be plenty, as I only plan to buy the occasional box.

That said, as suggested, we never stick to our personal plans when it comes to Cigars, so I tracked down the 80qt size of that box, and will likely go with that for only a little more money, and to be prepared in case my box buying gets out of hand.

That size should hold more than I should need.

Thanks for the link to them. They seem perfect, and are significantly cheaper than a cooler

2 minutes ago, smbauerllc said:

Thanks for the link to them. They seem perfect, and are significantly cheaper than a cooler

No problem, my pleasure. For what it's worth, I also originally bought 1, ended up getting 2 more. 

They're also remarkably efficient with boveda packs. I'm 6+ months in with one cooledor at full capacity and the single 69% RH 67G Boveda pack is plump and squishy as originally opened. With just one pack, my measured RH is 65% and hardly ever goes +-1%.

No problem, my pleasure. For what it's worth, I also originally bought 1, ended up getting 2 more. 
They're also remarkably efficient with boveda packs. I'm 6+ months in with one cooledor at full capacity and the single 69% RH 67G Boveda pack is plump and squishy as originally opened. With just one pack, my measured RH is 65% and hardly ever goes +-1%.

Good to hear about the seal/bovedas.
Staying nice and plump after over 6 months is a good indication that the seal is airtight.

Do you think a Single 320gr boveda would be enough for the 54qt, or would you recommend 2?

Based off you only needing 1 60gr for a 32qt, I'm extrapolating that 1 or 2 320gr should be fine in the 54qt one

54 minutes ago, smbauerllc said:

I do have a pretty limited monthly budget as I'm retired so have a fixed income

You may actually have a real constraint so you can keep CAD (cigar acquisition disorder) under control.    I started collecting cigars (NCs) almost twenty years ago--and amazing sales of cigars I really liked kept happening at my favorite web sites and well, remember the Tribbles episode on the first Star Trek? 😉

Here it is:  

4 minutes ago, smbauerllc said:

Good to hear about the seal/bovedas.
Staying nice and plump after over 6 months is a good indication that the seal is airtight.

Do you think a Single 320gr boveda would be enough for the 80qt, or would you recommend 2?

Based off you only needing 1 60gr for a 32qt, I'm extrapolating that 1 or 2 320gr should be fine in the 80qt one

Yup, I'd think a single 320G should do it. You'll know in 3-5 days if you need to add another or maybe just supplement with 60G until you reach your desired RH.

7 hours ago, Cairo said:
You may actually have a real constraint so you can keep CAD (cigar acquisition disorder) under control.    I started collecting cigars (NCs) almost twenty years ago--and amazing sales of cigars I really liked kept happening at my favorite web sites and well, remember the Tribbles episode on the first Star Trek?
Here it is:  

Lol
Yeah, the typical box cost about my entire monthly cigar budget, so I would only be buying my all-time favorites in boxes, and would have to space out the purchases to still be able to keep my Cigar stash supplied.

I'm confident I will get a little out of hand regardless, so planning to buy a larger container than I think I need just in case.

Looking at picking up the 80qt size container in Triphitters link

7 hours ago, triphitter said:
Yup, I'd think a single 320G should do it. You'll know in 3-5 days if you need to add another or maybe just supplement with 60G until you reach your desired RH.

Nice.
Thanks for all the help. Greatly appreciated.

I had to correct my posts, its the 54qt I am looking at, not 80qt. The 80qt is incredibly expensive

I use the 120qt version of this cooler.  The one I put in the link is 70qt.  I went into the store and tested the lids and picked the one that felt like the tightest seal.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-70-qt-Xtreme-Hard-Sided-Blue/23795246?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0  (lol another Walmart link from me)

I find that using an insulated cooler smooths out temperature changes experienced during the spring and fall.  In the winter and summer my thermostat keeps the house a consistent temperature, but in fall and spring I see a lot of fluctuation.

Think I'm going to go with the Sterilite container that triphitter linked. Takes up a Little less space, significantly cheaper, and I like the idea of a gasket seal and clips. Makes me more confident that it will be air tight since i have to buy without being able to test and find a cooler that has a good seal

• 2 weeks later...

Went with a gasket seal, 8 clip closure iris 74qt weatherproof container.

I like the idea of being airtight with the gasket and so many clips holding the lid.

Some people have suggested putting empty boxes in the container until I have enough full boxes to help regulate rh.

In an airtight container with 65% Heartfelt beads, do you guys think its really necessary?

Someone offered to send me some empty boxes but don't want him to waste his money on shipping them if they aren't needed