Nice lighter hack

Unbelievable, thank you so much for posting, had two lighters that I’ve had for 10 years a colibri and a cheap Robson jet lite that were sputtering flame and not lighting.  Just did this hack and both are working again.  I was even looking around for a new lighter on Amazon but now I will be able to use my colibri again!!!  So cool.

F47BBCB5-C393-48C2-ACEB-3EEC265D1613.jpeg

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, PigFish said:

Been using compressed air for years. Never thought about a bottle of fuel. Cool!

Bought a can of that air at Target and was asked for proof of age! WTF? I am 55. Apparently there are chemicals in the can that some inhale to get high?? Apparently I am not educated on this stuff. 

• Haha 1

I've never heard or tried this, but makes logical sense. 

I would imagine the burst of gas would help shift any debris plugging the jets, and the excess fuel would then burn the debris away?  

Damn, clearing crap to get the house on the market I just tossed a bunch of lighters that didn't work, even after compressed air.

Will need to try this next time one fails.....

Yep it definitely works I used to work at Cigar Shop for many years people were bringing their lighters  to me all the time so can you fix them. I figured this out on my own probably 10 years ago it works 9 out of 10 times. Guys always looked at me like I was crazy and that I was going to blow myself up. Which only happened one time really when a lighter blew up in my hand no damage to my hand 😂 

On 6/17/2021 at 10:04 AM, Fuzz said:

It might clear the jets, but wouldn't that just blow any debris back into the butane tank?

It depends on the type of lighter I suppose. The action of the one in the video looks like the valve between the tank and nozzle is opened in the same action as getting access to the nozzle. With other lighters that's not necessary, the nozzle can be available without opening the gas valve. The pressure in the tank, if there is gas in there, should keep out debris though.

Still not sure if it's the gas pressure or the butane itself that is cleaning the nozzles. I've always used a can of compressed air and that works quite well. I'll try butane next time. 

I did a quick search and it looks like Butane can be used as a solvent, so theoretically could remove organic material.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1631074818301085

I should have known, I've done some butane searches regarding purity before and results always come back from Marijuana people, exploiting its solvent properties.