A lone cigar smoker's lament

At this point I've probably given upwards of 150+ cigars (mix of CC and NC) away to various friends over the last year in an effort to try and spark a mutual interest in/appreciation for cigars so that I have someone to smoke with. To no avail. Don't get me wrong, I have no issues with smoking alone; I enjoy the solitude even. But as I've gone deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole, I find I just want someone to talk all things cigar with. 

My wife has forbade me from having anymore one-sided cigar conversations with her as she's assured me she'd rather hear about tax law than hear another "interesting cigar fun fact." I've also been directed to slow down my purchasing if I'm going to keep lobbing cigar grab bags at anyone with a pulse in hopes of finding a friend to smoke and talk cigars with. Tried membership with my local shop but the clientele there are generally more interested in getting poker games going and I'm not much into gambling. There are other lounges but none nearby enough for me to frequent. 

So, other than watching sports/tv, what are everyones favorite activities to do while smoking (assuming not on the golf course)? 

• Like 3

Try the Zoom room here at FOH. It’s a great place to have a cigar and meet new friends. 
I have looked into it a little bit, but live streaming video eats up my 5gb a month of high speed data really fast, and being stuck on the very slow free data afterwards is very frustrating

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I’ve a couple of friends who are into cigars that I smoke with couple of times a week but to be honest I like smoking by myself.  

I usually have a sitcom/comedy running in the background and play card game on my iPhone or surf. It’s a good way for me to switch off and relax 

• Like 1

I’ve a couple of friends who are into cigars that I smoke with couple of times a week but to be honest I like smoking by myself.  

I usually have a sitcom/comedy running in the background and play card game on my iPhone or surf. It’s a good way for me to switch off and relax 
That's great you have a few people to smoke with.
In my roughly 15 years of smoking I have only smoked with two people, a coworker at Halliburton that gave me a short story while in the oilfields and Carlito Fuente. I have been hooked on Cigars ever since that first short story. Was a great Cigar for my first in many years.

Was nice while I was training him and able to smoke together.

Was sad when he was ready to be out on his own and I had to smoke alone.

Been about 12 years since I have smoked with anyone.

Can't even go to a Cigar lounge, as there are none in Wyoming. Even b&m Cigar shops are rare.

My only time ever in a Cigar lounge was Casa Fuente when I went to Vegas for vacation. It was extremely nice there.

Even got to hang out and smoke a couple Cigars with Carlito Fuente which was awesome

• Like 3

I read scifi on my kindle. Once a week, I go to the B&M where I'm a member to reconnect with the guys (kind of like Cheers  )
That's cool
I wish I had my kindle here.
I had roughly 1500 books on it.
Sadly its buried somewhere in my storage unit 6 hours away.
Awesome invention.

Also wish there was a b&m or Cigar lounge here, but sadly Cigar shops are extremely rare in Wyoming and no cigar lounges at all.

Population is too small to support either

6 hours ago, GoonerCity said:

So, other than watching sports/tv, what are everyones favorite activities to do while smoking (assuming not on the golf course)? 

Read, walk, late night sit on beach, golf, online poker, around a bonfire, to name a few. 

• Like 1

I actually try not to do anything while I'm smoking so I can focus on the cigar alone.

I'm trying to learn to detect all the different notes that most others do when I read their reviews.

I have been smoking Cigars regularly for about 15 years now, and nit only do i learn something every day, I'm still trying to develop my palate to be able to detect all the different food/spice flavors that I always see in people's reviews. Being a recently quit cigarette smoker of 30 years is part of the issue I'm sure, but after 2 months or so without cigarettes, I still only really get things like non-specific spice, wood, earth, and leather at most.

I also don't drink anything with them as not to alter the tastes of the Cigar.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HarveyBoulevard said:

Try the Zoom room here at FOH. It’s a great place to have a cigar and meet new friends. 

I'll definitely try and do that, I wasn't aware that existed. Thanks!

10 hours ago, alloy said:

I read scifi on my kindle. Once a week, I go to the B&M where I'm a member to reconnect with the guys (kind of like Cheers 😁 )

Yea, if I'm not watching something then I'm generally either reading or surfing the internet on my phone. I just sometimes want to geek talk about cigars with someone that has a mutual interest since I've only recently really gotten into the hobby. 

• Like 2

I'm working on organizing a 'small' herf in the East Bay... see you're in SoCal but perhaps if you're planning to be in the area I could coordinate this little soiree to accommodate you. The premise is to hang out and smoke (and drink a bit) and talk about cigars, forgoing small talk and all the trivial chatter I presume none of us care too much for. Let me know! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HarveyBoulevard said:

Much agreed! FOH Zoom is wonderful Virtual Cigar Herf for having CC with BOTLs and SOTLs (as well as Rob and FOH crews) together 😃. I do Kimfessions Series on FOH Zoom, but COVID-19 makes me difficult to do Kimfessions Series (B&Ms still close their business early, so need to wait until everything goes back to normal 😢).

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, JohnInCleveland said:

I smoke alone.  With nobody else.  I smoke alone.  With nobody else.  Yeah, you know when I smoke alone, I prefer to be by myself. 

Actually heard that song today, lyrics were slightly different though 😁

• Like 1

*I liked having my brother-in-law around to smoke my stogies with, however his wife (my sister) advised me NUMEROUS times that I might as well not waste my time and resources providing him with my priceless, precious CC's because for all he cares they might as well El Producto's, King Edwards, etc. Now that he's gone I'm back to smoking my cigars with my own company and a good movie, good reading material, etc.

Wow sorry to hear that you can't find some like minded individuals, I've been lucky to find some forum members on here and have a good group that meet up even on random weeknights.  I did find some good guys in the local B&M that if you stick by I'm sure you might end up finding some suitable company.

Good luck!!

I've come to realize the cigar smoking in a lonesome hobby by and large.  Social clubs in the States are mostly non-existent and very few in our country have any place to go and smoke/socialize walking distance from their house.

@GoonerCity Not sure you heritage, but clubs like Sons of Italy are good for cigar smoking.  They often have little regard to local smoking laws since it's a "private club".  A local chapter near me  was never closed during Covid.  People were smoking, drinking like usual through the whole pandemic.

Then there are yacht and golf clubs which can both be accommodating to cigars with members that are more likely to want to smoke cigars

• Like 3

I've come to realize the cigar smoking in a lonesome hobby by and large.  Social clubs in the States are mostly non-existent and very few in our country have any place to go and smoke/socialize walking distance from their house.

[mention=36485]GoonerCity[/mention] Not sure you heritage, but clubs like Sons of Italy are good for cigar smoking.  They often have little regard to local smoking laws since it's a "private club".  A local chapter near me  was never closed during Covid.  People were smoking, drinking like usual through the whole pandemic.
Then there are yacht and golf clubs which can both be accommodating to cigars with members that are more likely to want to smoke cigars

Very true about it being a lonesome hobby.

It was really nice for the 6 months I was training the guy at Halliburton who gave me my first Short Story and got me into Cigars and had someone to chat about Cigars and smoke with.

I really wish there was at least one other Cigar smoker here to chat and smoke with.

Given the age group of 65 to 75 years old I'm kinda surprised that there aren't any.

Definitely no Cigar lounges in Wyoming, just don't have the population to support one.

Even finding a cigar store here is nearly impossible.

Did recently make a regular trading partner on another forum and one friend with ties to my favorite nc cigar maker on tet another forum. Just haven't been able to chat with him on the phone yet as we both seem to have conflicting schedules making it difficult.

I have a buddy over once a week if I’m lucky. 
as @BrightonCorgi notes above social clubs are the way to go. I shoot skeet. My local club allows smoking anywhere you so please. Shoot a round, smoke a cigar by the outdoor fire. If it’s cold, go inside. Last year or so I have not made it there much, but hoping to get back in the rhythm shortly. Plenty of members just go to shoot the crap and smoke cigars. Shotgun might or might not come out of the trunk. 

• Like 2

On 6/16/2021 at 10:36 AM, GoonerCity said:

At this point I've probably given upwards of 150+ cigars (mix of CC and NC) away to various friends over the last year in an effort to try and spark a mutual interest in/appreciation for cigars so that I have someone to smoke with. To no avail. Don't get me wrong, I have no issues with smoking alone; I enjoy the solitude even. But as I've gone deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole, I find I just want someone to talk all things cigar with. 

My wife has forbade me from having anymore one-sided cigar conversations with her as she's assured me she'd rather hear about tax law than hear another "interesting cigar fun fact." I've also been directed to slow down my purchasing if I'm going to keep lobbing cigar grab bags at anyone with a pulse in hopes of finding a friend to smoke and talk cigars with. Tried membership with my local shop but the clientele there are generally more interested in getting poker games going and I'm not much into gambling. There are other lounges but none nearby enough for me to frequent. 

Very similar to my story. Try Ash Hole Cigar Club on Insta. That's led me to another like-minded group in my own country (crap timezone in the UK for FOH Zoom). 

Your local chapter will probably do v-herfs.