Havana Club Cuban Smoky.(now with tasting notes)

Puros Y Vino

9 minutes ago, Cigar Surgeon said:

I eagerly await your thoughts on this. As is tradition. 

Aged in Islay Scotch barrels. Not surprised you're interested. :)  I might try and crack it open later tonight. Just going to pour an ounce and drink it neat.  I'll take some notes.  Anyone have a rum tasting template? :D

• Thanks 1

I got a bottle of this in Havana in February last year.

To be honest, I don't remember it well enough to give a good tasting description. I do remember it being "spicier" with some more heat on the throat than the regular 7 year old.

Interesting to try though. Let us know. I took the image from a still of a video as I was pouring some to "Los Santos", I must have been trying to impress someone.

IMG_7340.PNG.96a58651480c44181376aff095abc95f.PNG

• Like 4

Here's a bit of a write-up. Currently enjoying the last of this in my glass

Visual

Amber , opaque, no legs. 
418931080_IMG_20210618_15435123.jpg.2153c27aa789c9df3a1e864d7c227a73.jpg
Nose 
Oak barrel. Vanilla. Cinnamon (fireball) Sniffing definitely opens the sinuses. Rum. I swirl the glass to open it up. 

Taste
Fire up front. Vanilla oak on the finish. Some smoke along the way for sure. I take small sips, let is sit on the tongue for a second then swallow.  

It definitely drinks like a Whiskey more than a rum. The burn going down isn't as pronounced and maybe the sugar in the rum tones it down.  I definitely get the impression that the barrel imprinted itself on the rum more than Sauternes barrel did on Pacto navio. Notice legs on the glass now. 

The flavour of rum is still present, just not sweet on the palate. I hold my next sip for a bit longer. The oak comes through a bit more. 

The label says aged in Islay barrels  which I assume means barrels that once held Scotch and not raw oak barrels. 

Overall I'd say this is a good balance between the two spirits. I think I'd prefer a bit more sweetness of the rum to come through if you served this blind I'm not sure people would think it was rum based.  

Added some ice.  Will give it a few minutes
526779697_IMG_20210618_16033702.jpg.91ffd9e972055abd43bc0fd2d9dc46ce.jpg

Outside of obviously watering it down, the ice brings out more oak and vanilla and lowers the burn   I think I'd prefer it cold especially with a cigar. 

I enjoy Smokey Scotch so this is right up my alley but I'm left thinking it's less of a rum but it's not quite a whiskey. Ay 40%ABV it still packs a kick though.  

Conclusion. 

No regrets on the purchase. I have a lot of rum in my house. Most of it Cuban. I killed my Pacto Navio bottle pretty quick. I don't think I'll do the same with this one as it is not as smooth. My favourite rum is Zacapa XO which is very close to Cognac taste wise. Rum that is too sweet does nothing for me. I will definitely pair this with a cigar soon. 

This strikes a nice balance between rum and whiskey but is not as refined as what a Sauternes cask did for Pacto Navio.  If anyone grabs a bottle give a friend a blind taste. I'd be curious to see the results. 

• Like 4

• Puros Y Vino changed the title to Havana Club Cuban Smoky.(now with tasting notes)