It is a matter of haste : The sub 40 minute brigade

It is a matter of Haste   

172 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Following on form out "is is a matter of taste thread" 

The world has turned on it's head. I have canadian/euro brothers  asking me be the best sub 40  minute cigar because it is too hot to be outside for too long and Aussies asking the same question because it is too bloody cold. 

For you. If the following were in your humidor with  a minimum 36 months down.........which  four would you be your selection as the best of the sub 40 minute brigade.  :ok:

• Thanks 1

• El Presidente changed the title to It is a matter of haste : The sub 40 minute brigade

Might not finish them in 40 sometimes but wouldn't feel bad pitching the remainder.

• Like 3

I did fill out the poll, but wanted to say that really any pc is sub 40 minutes for me unless I consciously pace myself more.

Really can't go wrong with anything in the poll imho, and pretty much every marca has a pc or similar and personally haven't really had a bad one yet from any of them

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Lots of great smokes here--most of them I savor for much more than forty minutes.

The sleeper (imho) is the HDM Depute--for folks who haven't tried them, try them!

• Like 4

Lots of great smokes here--most of them I savor for much more than forty minutes.
The sleeper (imho) is the HDM Depute--for folks who haven't tried them, try them!
I like the Du Maire also.
Was given about a dozen a few months ago and they made a great after lunch smoke

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Party Shorts is at or near the top in a few categories for me... Flavor, consistency, value, availability. I'll caveat that I've only tried about 3/4 of the list and only regularly smoke about 1/3 of them.

7 hours ago, El Presidente said:

The world has turned on it's head. I have canadian/euro brothers  asking me be the best sub 40  minute cigar because it is too hot to be outside for too long and Aussies asking the same question because it is too bloody cold. 

My opinion is that it's never too hot in Canada and never too cold in Australia but I guess it's a matter of taste 😂🤣😂

If I'm asking about sub 40 minutes smokes it's because it's too cold. I'll worry about that in 6 months.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

i refuse, point blank, to indulge in such blasphemy. if you have to rush a cigar, why bother? easier when they cost a fraction of what we pay, i guess, but for me, this is something i plan to enjoy and savour. if i end up with a sub 40, that means it was rubbish and dumped. as should be this poll. 

+1

1 minute ago, El Presidente said:

You live in a rareified universe  Ken.

Members with young kids, members living in extreme climates are something that you don't apear to be able to relate to.  

There are periods in most people's lives where 40-45 minutes is all the time they can spare for a cigar and relaxation. It is a luxury. 

They are not rushing the cigar. They have just chosen the right tool for the job. 

You don't chose a one wood for a 12 foot putt. Horses for courses. 

we've discussed this so many times that you could have written my response and i could have written your follow-up. we are not as one on this. 

i fully understand (well, not young kids bit) but it is not for me. and i am far too old to let my standards slip, low as they may already be.  

i would also suggest that queensland is an extreme climate for 7 months of the year, and it won't be long before climate change ensures that we all live in extreme climates all year. 

• Like 1

Add me to the list that needs small smokes due to kids/weather. If I had a choice, I would much prefer an uninterrupted 1.5 hour smoke. But there’s a ton of enjoyment in catching a half corona or party short when time permits. Hell, I had to stock up on Cohiba shorts to have something quick for a bbq. I don’t rush it. If I can’t finish it, I won’t suck it down. Goes in the ash tray and I salute it. 

Kids, busy, no indoor options, British weather - small smokes are important to me, and can still be a great pleasure.

I voted Short, El Principe, RG Perla. Those are three that I think are really distinctive whilst being true to their marcas, reliably good quality and great value. 

Honourable mention for Petit Royales.

The one I really don't like is Media Corona. I've never got what I want out of it, which is a little hit of Monte cocoa and cream.  

What you guys call a 40min smoke usually lasts me over an hour tbh. 

I have on rare occasion got 2 hrs from a Monte 4, albeit smoked to a tiny nub.

I’m not kidding.

Edit: just saw @Nino’s post above. I completely agree.

• Like 4

Ya, I’d add the Reyes to this list too. In terms of the time... 40 min in the cold winter turns into 60 min in the summer when you can slow down and savour. Long or short, each has its appropriate time... and kids definitely add the ‘short factor’.