Average Smoking Time Poll.

Average Smoking Time   

159 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It will be good to get some idea as to the "average smoking time" for FOH members on different vitolas. 

I have chosen 4 in the poll that most members will be familiar with. If you are not, just give a best guess. 

From deck experiences, I know that on a Robusto, one mate will finish it in 40 minutes and another in over 90.  It is no wonder that they will both give me tasting notes that are completely different :D

• Like 2

I'm rock solid in the middle of the three options for all of these. Looks like I'm in the majority so far. 

For those of you who are usually in the longer of the three options, are you re-lighting several times?  It's a serious question I have because I can't seem to keep sticks lit if I smoke at that pace. To head off the inevitable response to my question, I store at 62%. 

• Like 3

I take

• 48-50 minutes for Half Corona sized PCs and 59 minutes for Minutos sized PCs
  • 75 minutes for Robustos sized Robustos
  • Almost 180 minutes for Prominentnes sized Double Coronas (one of my fav sizes)

Can't answer for Piramides, as I've never puffed any Piramides before. Will grab a 5yr old Upmann No. 2 and measure how long I take to puff Piramides (I bet it'll take over 90 minutes for me).

• Like 2

The tricky one for me is the piramedes. Some can go 90+ and others closer to 75. Maybe due to an inconsistent cut on my part?

• Like 1

I could not answer Double Corona based on experience. The format is too large and long to smoke. Not practical for my smoking pleasure. I would imagine this vitola is slowly becoming extinct due to smoking time. We live in a busy world.

I'm with the majority on everything except double coronas. I just find I smoke very small cigars a bit slower than average and very large cigars a bit faster than average.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, inter4alia said:

I'm rock solid in the middle of the three options for all of these. Looks like I'm in the majority so far. 

For those of you who are usually in the longer of the three options, are you re-lighting several times?  It's a serious question I have because I can't seem to keep sticks lit if I smoke at that pace. To head off the inevitable response to my question, I store at 62%. 

I’m in the longer of the three options for all of them. Yes I tend to have to relight. I’ve tried to smoke a bit faster but the cigar ends up not tasting right to me. I also store at 62%. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm definitely a slow smoker. Maybe 2-3 re-lights? I'm also weird in the sense that I fairly regularly will set a cigar down with a quarter left. Only a handful are truly nub-worthy. To me the others become too bitter and astringent, and I end up purging every 4-5 puffs to get 1-2 pleasant ones.

• Like 4

With the majority on all except the HUHC, which I love, though in truth I'm right at 30 minutes on them. I have no idea how anyone spends 60 minutes on one - I thought I was a slow smoker but that's remarkable!

6 hours ago, Connoisseur Kim said:
  • 48-50 minutes for Half Corona sized PCs and 59 minutes for Minutos sized PCs

let's see .. for me,
43min 16.56sec for minutos
115min 22.24sec for for robos
169min 69.69sec for DCs

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Meklown said:

115min 22.24sec for for robos

I'm surprised that you puff Robustos longer than me. I never managed to pass 75 minutes for Robustos unless I puff longer Robustos like Connie A (115 minutes).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Odessa said:

And inevitable question is: 62% at what temperature? It defines the moisture content. Thanks.

But of course. I store at normal operating temperature. 

8 hours ago, NicPac said:

I’m in the longer of the three options for all of them. Yes I tend to have to relight. I’ve tried to smoke a bit faster but the cigar ends up not tasting right to me. I also store at 62%. 

Very interesting. When I end up having to relight a few times the cigar ends up not tasting right to me. 

I also don't typically nub cigars. If I did, I could see my smoke times getting close to the longer of the three smoke times. 

I'm in the slowest group on all four polls. Unless the cigar is a total crap show I'll smoke it past the band and usually nub it out. My favorite part of the smoke is often the last couple of inches. Relights are common too, especially near the end.

• Like 2

Guess I now need a stop watch. 

• Haha 2

If you want to see fast smoking watch a Sauter Cigar review on Youtube. I enjoy the videos and he knows his stuff but he will take 15 puffs and burn half an inch with every "draw." No wonder 54 plus gauge is his preference! 

Anecdotally I find this less an issue with my CC friends, but in general my experience has been most cigar smokers smoke far too fast (if their intention is to get the best flavors out of their cigar). The segmentation I'd love to see for Robustos:

• Less than 45 minutes (there's a really large NC brand that has advertising materials that their Robustos are perfect for a 45 minute smoking time)
  • 45-60 minutes.
  • 60 minutes - 1:15
  • 1:15 - 1:30
  • 1:30-1:45
  • 1:45 or 1:45 - 2:00 and then 2:00 plus

My target for a Robusto is always the 1:45 mark and for a Toro 2:15. 

• Like 2

On 7/2/2021 at 9:21 AM, Mickey D said:

Guess I now need a stop watch. 

You can find a fine selection in the international store. 😀