reasons to put your child up for adoption...

Ken Gargett

my only thought here, other than abandoning the daughter in the middle of the sahara during summer, would be good luck finding the 99 Petrus for just £2000! 

Daughter, 19, opens her father's £2,000 vintage Petrus to make sangria at house party with her friends after it was saved for 17 years

• British expat has his vintage wine accidentally drunk by his daughter's friends
  • Mr Jones bought the wine by accident while in a rush on Christmas Eve in 2004 
  • When he quizzed his daughter in a text, she replied: 'I hope it wasn't expensive'

PUBLISHED: 07:15 AEST, 26 June 2021 UPDATED: 10:52 AEST, 26 June 2021

•  

Having kept it safe for nearly two decades, Pete Jones was looking forward to the day he would finally open his prized bottle of wine on a special occasion.

But the restaurateur expat's dream of savouring his 1999 vintage Petrus, worth £2,000, was shattered when his teenage daughter and her friends used it to make sangria.

The British father, 56, who has lived in Madrid for more than 20 years, had gone out for the evening to allow youngest daughter Lara, 19, to host a party for her friends.

When he woke last Saturday morning, his treasured bottle was nowhere to be seen.

+

The restaurateur expat's dream of savouring his 1999 vintage Petrus, worth £2,000, was shattered when his teenage daughter and her friends used it to make sangria. He is pictured above with daughters Lara (left) and Sele (right)

When he quizzed Lara in a text, she replied: 'I hope it wasn't expensive… I think my friends drank it.' He informed her it was a '€2,500 bottle'. Rather than hitting the roof, he blamed himself for leaving the bottle in plain view with a bunch of teenagers in the house.

Dailymail.co.uk: News, Sport, Showbiz, Celebrities from Daily Mail

Pause

Next video

1:09 / 1:49

Settings

Full-screen

Read More

'I am just gutted that after saving it for 17 years, I didn't even get to taste it,' he said. 

'And the tragic thing is, neither did they, well not properly. It was used to make a tinto de verano', the typically Spanish summer drink of red wine mixed with soda and poured over ice. Usually the cheapest red wine is used, often from a carton.

+3

•  

When he quizzed Lara in a text, she replied: 'I hope it wasn't expensive… I think my friends drank it.' He informed her it was a '€2,500 bottle'

'I got home and the party was in full swing. I had a drink with them, did some embarrassing dancing in the kitchen, then headed up to bed to leave them to it,' Mr Jones said. 

He also left the bottle from Bordeaux estate Chateau Petrus on display and it was opened around 5am. The famous wine maker only produces about 30,000 bottles a year, and its product is consistently ranked among the most expensive in the world.

'It used to be hidden away in the cellar. But I got it out recently to show a friend… and I hadn't got round to putting it back,' the distraught dad admitted. The next day, he ran to the bottle bank near their home to check as Lara had disposed of the recyclables.

'There it was. A dusty old Petrus lying empty on top of all the beer bottles. My daughter didn't believe me when I told her how much it was actually worth. Then she cried a lot and asked if I could ever forgive her,' he said.

Mr Jones bought the wine by accident while in a rush on Christmas Eve in 2004, telling a shop owner to get him 'a bottle from the top shelf'. He added: 'My wife, Silv, was furious but I explained it away by insisting it was a vintage from the year of our eldest daughter's birth and we could keep it to drink with her on a special occasion.'

He has had to break the news to Sele, 21, that her birthday vintage had been opened without her. 

• Haha 2

This does not only apply to children -- my mother once made several jugs of sangria using bottles of 1970 Chateau Palmer ...

*That's gonna happen...my little toddler niece who got into EVERYTHING, before I knew it, had gotten into my humidor and pulled out my very last remaining Fonseca Invictos perfecto.  I discovered her crumbling it up in her tiny little inquisitive hands. And there I was :( :unsure: :coverears:

I can tell you I certainly never did anything like this in my youth. Helps we didn't have Petrus lying around though we did have some of Dad's whiskey from time to time....probably with Ginger Ale.

• Like 1

Just now, Habana Mike said:

I can tell you I certainly never did anything like this in my youth. Helps we didn't have Petrus lying around though we did have some of Dad's whiskey from time to time....probably with Ginger Ale.

Whiskey with ginger ale .... could be worse.  Could have been diet Coke.  

Or Mountain Dew.  

my family not immune. dad would receive a bottle of inner circle rum every year - aussie rum fans will know how incredible that was back then, as only a few bottles made and back then, never sold, just given to friends and colleagues of the directors of CSR (i think). dad didn't drink so his mates would come around when it was that time of year and hope to jag it. otherwise, mum just tipped it in the annual christmas plum pudding. several years i caught her tipping VSOP cognac in, by the bottle. she didn't drink either and saw no difference in using those bottles to a bottle of swill. 

22 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

my family not immune. dad would receive a bottle of inner circle rum every year - aussie rum fans will know how incredible that was back then, as only a few bottles made and back then, never sold, just given to friends and colleagues of the directors of CSR (i think). dad didn't drink so his mates would come around when it was that time of year and hope to jag it. otherwise, mum just tipped it in the annual christmas plum pudding. several years i caught her tipping VSOP cognac in, by the bottle. she didn't drink either and saw no difference in using those bottles to a bottle of swill. 

My mother has a habit of cooking with my cognacs. Remy Martin, Martell, Hennessy etc, if they were already open, they were used for cooking. She just says, "Well, did the meal taste good? Yes? Then what is the problem?". She's currently going through a bottle of Otard VS, but I'm not too fussed about that one as I have another, but they were from the 80s.

1 hour ago, Ken Gargett said:

'I got home and the party was in full swing. I had a drink with them, did some embarrassing dancing in the kitchen

Oh, I bet the 19 year old daughter was thrilled about that. Could have been €2,500 worth of embarrassment for her.

Well, another good story. Was invited for New Year’s Eve for Fondue. Fondue finished we asked for Schnaps. Fair enough. Spouse were crumbling in his beard. Fair enough. Came back with a 250€ bottle of Grappa. Saying: I don’t know how this stuff is tasting. I usual use it for cleaning my windows. 
cracks me up. Guess what ? We rescued the Grappa from him. 

OMG ….note to self..introduce teenage daughter to the fine wines and vintages of France and a DO NOT DRINK list…not that I would ever have a Pertrus lying around the house, but I am starting to collect a few nice bottles for long term storage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk