if you are in russia, say goodbye to champagne

Ken Gargett

this is possibly the stupidest thing i have seen in a long time. anyone who has had anything to do with champagne can tell you that this will never be accepted. if you are in russia, until this is reversed, the only way you'll get champagne will be on the black market and the producers will do all they can to prevent that. 

it makes no sense at all, to me. 

Russia ready to roll out its Own Champagne

July 04: In what could be considered a kick-on-the-butt for European businesses or a bout of protectionism, Russian parliament passed on Friday a legislation that prohibits any sparkling wine including Champagne to be called a Champagne unless it is made in Russia, writes Subhash Arora who feels it is totally unjustified and would be the biggest talking point in the wine world during the next few days, with Moet Hennessey threatening to suspend supplies and a distinct possibility of the whole of Champagne region boycotting Russian market unless the legislation is rolled back

Russia adopted a legislation on Friday stipulating that the word "champagne" can only be applied to wine produced in Russia, while the world-famous bubbly from France's Champagne region in France must only be called "sparkling wine".

Moet Hennessy Russia has already informed the local partner that the supplies are being suspended under the new law which also says that the company would have to undergo new registration procedures, among other requirements. Leonid Rafailov, general director of AST, a top liquor distributor working with a number of brands including Moet Hennessy, said yesterday that his company had indeed received a letter notifying it of the suspension. "I confirm that such a letter exists, and it is justified," he reportedly told AFP.

While a few Russians have opined that if Moet does not supply, there are other alternative sources. They tend to forget that there would be a concerted action by The Comité Champagne (Comité Inter Professionnel du Vin de Champagne-CIVC)- the trade association that represents the interests of independent Champagne producers (Vignerons) and Champagne Houses and one of the most well- structured and disciplined organisations in the world, to ban any exports of Champagne unless a workable solution is found.

If Moet Hennessey stops the supplies, the whole of Champagne would be obliged to stop the supplies and unless there were a way of smuggling their bubbly, the champagne loving Russians would be devoid of their favourite drink. Indeed, neither Moet Hennessey nor The Comité Champagne are expected to buckle down under pressure. The Champagne region and in fact, all the French are fiercely protective of the term ‘champagne’; it may be produced in Champagne with specified grapes and processed under strict regulation by The Comité Champagne.

The Comité had won a long battle for the GI registered Trade Classification in the US but only after a few old producers were allowed under the Grandfather Clause to call their bubbly if they mentioned on their label as California Champagnes- for instance Korbel, André or Cooks… and this because they had been making champagne for over 150 years.

Moet Hennessy is a part of French luxury goods group LVMH and is known for brands such as Moet & Chandon, Veuve Clicquot, Krug and Dom Perignon. Earlier this year, it had bought 50% stake in Armand de Brignac, a brand owned by the rapper Jay-Z. Incidentally, the Cristal label owned by Louis Roederer and earlier popularised by Jay-Z had been the Champagne of the Russian Czars for decades.

Is Russia trying to show its muscles after China has been flexing them-as seen in the recent case of taxes of up to 218% on wine imports from Australia? Is it another form of protectionism that has been evident globally during the Covid time? Hard to tell but rest assured, this will be a hotly debated topic all over the world. Meanwhile. Russian champagne lovers are perhaps rushing to the nearest store to stock as much of their favourite bubbly as possible-since at the very least, a shortage ought to be expected in the short term. The next few weeks are going to be interesting.

As reported by AFP, a popular Russian singer says Russian lawmakers could now adopt similar legislation regulating the use of the name "Mercedes" and even place names. But surely, it is not a First April joke!

Subhash Arora

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At least they won't be deprived of the actual beverage it seems, whatever it will be called:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/05/shampanskoye-french-champagne-industry-in-a-fizz-over-russian-law

"

On Saturday the celebrated champagne producer Moët Hennessy, part of the LVMH luxury group that includes Veuve Clicquot, Ruinart, Mercier, Krug and Dom Pérignon, threatened to suspend exports to Russia.

Leonid Rafailov, the director general of AST, one of Russia’s main wine distributors, acknowledged Moët’s move, telling AFP: “I can confirm I have received notification of this, and it’s justified.”

But by Monday the threat had gone flat when the company announced it would resume deliveries. “The Moët Hennessy champagne houses have always respected the law in place wherever they operate and will restart deliveries as soon as it is able to make the [label] changes,” the group said."

36 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

anyone who has had anything to do with champagne can tell you that this will never be accepted

Seems like it took them the better part of a weekend to accept it :rotfl:

5 minutes ago, Bijan said:

Seems like it took them the better part of a weekend to accept it :rotfl:

hi bijan. i saw that this morning before i posted. i still don't buy it. the CIVC is incredibly fierce in battling any challenges to the name. doesn't matter if it is from outside or from in, such as from LVMH. they have just finished litigation which took years against aldi, because aldi had a one-off product called champagne sorbet. they only made it briefly but that didn't matter. the CIVC just kept the case going until they won. 

i won't believe that this is over until i see the CIVC accept it. and i don't see that any time soon. 

1 minute ago, Ken Gargett said:

hi bijan. i saw that this morning before i posted. i still don't buy it. the CIVC is incredibly fierce in battling any challenges to the name. doesn't matter if it is from outside or from in, such as from LVMH. they have just finished litigation which took years against aldi, because aldi had a one-off product called champagne sorbet. they only made it briefly but that didn't matter. the CIVC just kept the case going until they won. 

i won't believe that this is over until i see the CIVC accept it. and i don't see that any time soon. 

You'd definitely know better than me but do they have the ability to stop the producers from exporting to Russia? Otherwise they may fight it for a while but in practice the labels will say whatever the Russians want until they win.

And the second thing is that the term used is a Russian word.  According to the Wikipedia champagne page:

"In the Soviet Union all sparkling wines were called шампанское (shampanskoe, Russian for "that, which is of Champagne"). The name is still used today for some brands of sparkling wines produced in former Soviet republics, such as Sovetskoye Shampanskoye and Rossiyskoe Shampanskoe."

Seems pretty open and shut as indicating the product is from champagne, but I don't know how protected origin designations work on foreign terms.

7 minutes ago, Bijan said:

You'd definitely know better than me but do they have the ability to stop the producers from exporting to Russia? Otherwise they may fight it for a while but in practice the labels will say whatever the Russians want until they win.

And the second thing is that the term used is a Russian word.  According to the Wikipedia champagne page:

"In the Soviet Union all sparkling wines were called шампанское (shampanskoe, Russian for "that, which is of Champagne"). The name is still used today for some brands of sparkling wines produced in former Soviet republics, such as Sovetskoye Shampanskoye and Rossiyskoe Shampanskoe."

Seems pretty open and shut as indicating the product is from champagne, but I don't know how protected origin designations work on foreign terms.

bijan, a lot of this will depend on the fine print. that LVMH is already showing signs of caving suggests to me that the early reports might not be completely accurate or that they have had the nod that a suitable compromise will be reached. but based on that first report, if correct, the CIVC will fight it. allowing russian fizz to be called champagne but champagne not to be called that - it is pretty much their number one job, to fight that. 

• Like 1