Report on the shortage of Cuban Cigars

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Received a disturbing update today.  It is bedlam in terms of global supply with no change likely this side of Christmas.  Feel free to ask your favourite CC retailer/distributor to have it confi

Same Story as the Lumber, Steel, Ammunition/Firearms, Wine, and Computer industries, you name it.  "Yeah, we were doing a pretty bad job with production before the pandemic, but its actually the

This problem has been developing long before COVID excuses became the norm. Say 2007-ish. Asian players visiting the LCDH's in Havana with lists, offering rewards of $200 per master case (50 boxes). O

It will be interesting to see the impact on this. I’ve always really found cigar availability comes and goes. I don’t recall a time where my usual sources had everything in the habanos catalogue. The situation is probably different where one can go to a B&M. 

I can’t see much being impacted though. Record sales will be followed by dwindling sales due to buyers having full humidors and empty wallets, and starting travelling again  or recovering from financial hardship faced and in that time the shelves will likely be empty while production catches up. I think overall it will average out over 3 years. 

thanks for sharing !

Good read.
Thanks for sharing.

I had only really noticed fairly recently, like the last couple of months, that my regular 3 vendors were out of stock on the majority of what they carry, especially boxes.

Now that I'm finally getting set up to buy and store boxes instead of just singles, I have been looking at many more vendors and everyone seems to be out of stock on a majority of what they carry.

Kinda sucks now that I'm actually looking to buy boxes. Very hard to find much except with UK vendors who seem to have more in stock, but their prices are always outrageous compared to anyone else, which is probably why they have more stock.

Guess I'll just have to be patient and also seek out private sales on another forum that has lots of them all the time.

Fortunately I don't see any price gouging there, everyone is looking for the average price or a bit less

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, smbauerllc said:

Good read.
Thanks for sharing.

I had only really noticed fairly recently, like the last couple of months, that my regular 3 vendors were out of stock on the majority of what they carry, especially boxes.

Now that I'm finally getting set up to buy and store boxes instead of just singles, I have been looking at many more vendors and everyone seems to be out of stock on a majority of what they carry.

Kinda sucks now that I'm actually looking to buy boxes. Very hard to find much except with UK vendors who seem to have more in stock, but their prices are always outrageous compared to anyone else, which is probably why they have more stock.

Guess I'll just have to be patient and also seek out private sales on another forum that has lots of them all the time.

Fortunately I don't see any price gouging there, everyone is looking for the average price or a bit less

I haven’t found any better or more complete source than what our host provides. Outside AUS, prices are good too. 

I know 24:24 has been a bit of a ‘feeding frenzy’ the last few months, but patience and persistence pays off. To be honest, the selection on this site (with some highly sought after marcas and vitolas being the exception) continues to be good. 

Glad to hear you’ve sorted your storage situation and are now able to buy boxes and get your aging program started! 

51 minutes ago, smbauerllc said:

Not sure which vendors you are using or what boxes you are trying to pick up. But between the biggest online vendors I'd say most things are in stock, except the ones that just aren't being produced in numbers like Siglo V, Sir Winston, MdO4, etc.

For example I think most have Coloniales in stock. Or Monte 4. Or Monte 2.

• Like 2

Not sure which vendors you are using or what boxes you are trying to pick up. But between the biggest online vendors I'd say most things are in stock, except the ones that just aren't being produced in numbers like Siglo V, Sir Winston, MdO4, etc.
For example I think most have Coloniales in stock. Or Monte 4. Or Monte 2.
The 3 I use most frequently, 2 in Switzerland and 1 in Belgium, have been out of stock on a lot for a while now.

The other vendors I have noticed it with are simply those that show up in a Google search for something specific I'm looking for, so i very well may not be seeing the vendors you are referring to.

I have checked a couple of the most common/popular vendors, and some did have good stock, but also have much higher prices than many others.

I should also say that it's the very popular cigars I'm looking for that are out of stock on singles and boxes, but as i mentioned, have just started looking at boxes instead of just singles.

Unfortunately I can't name the vendors I'm seeing it with due to the forum rules.

@smbauerllc I'll PM you about other vendors.

There are 3 I know in Switzerland and at least two (the two that sell singles) have been spotty on supply for a long time (either in terms of not having boxes in stock or in the case of one of them having huge sales on some things and high prices on other things). The one that doesn't do singles also has pretty spotty supply too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bijan said:

@smbauerllc I'll PM you about other vendors.

There are 3 I know in Switzerland and at least two (the two that sell singles) have been spotty on supply for a long time (either in terms of not having boxes in stock or in the case of one of them having huge sales on some things and high prices on other things). The one that doesn't do singles also has pretty spotty supply too.

the one that doesn't do singles has been spotty for quite a while.... So glad I found this place

Lowest levels to stock in the Habanos warehouse (export)  in memory and what is there is low rent stuff. Few top end premium and naturally it doesn't sit. 

Factories are working on 30% staff regularly. Should a roller become infected, if asymptomatic,  he/she and those surrounding are sent to home isolation. it is affecting all stages of the production line from sorting house to packaging to rolling to  warehouse. 

We are a year away at least from some level of normality. 

• Thanks 2

As others have said this is happening in so many categories of consumer goods. Just today I read restaurant’s that have just been allowed to serve people inside as well as patios are having a hard time getting supplies. One example is a restaurant ordering 200 cases of beer and getting 15. A hardware store ordered 80 gallons of paint and received 10. And on and on it goes. 

I hate to say it, but it serves the suppliers right. 

they have decided to make their business models paper thin, with very little room for change/error. 

now they are missing the boat, huge. 

everyone knocks down those who are succeeding in this climate. the manufacturers of SO many products have completed missed the boat. I'll remember this in a few years when things normalize and our local distributors cry the blues about "globalization" and how unfair it is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Presidente said:

Lowest levels to stock in the Habanos warehouse (export)  in memory and what is there is low rent stuff. Few top end premium and naturally it doesn't sit. 

Factories are working on 30% staff regularly. Should a roller become infected, if asymptomatic,  he/she and those surrounding are sent to home isolation. it is affecting all stages of the production line from sorting house to packaging to rolling to  warehouse. 

We are a year away at least from some level of normality. 

Until the next pandemic. Mark my words, this certainly won't be the last in our (I'm 55) lifetime unfortunately. 

• Like 3

With the tighter supply and increased costs, it is interesting to see if the grey market resellers keep stock on hand. So far, at least a few of the more reputable ones  seem to keep some decent stock on hand. It will be interesting to see how long that can last if 2021 production is really down to 50% after being down in 2020. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rhinoww said:

With the tighter supply and increased costs, it is interesting to see if the grey market resellers keep stock on hand. So far, at least a few of the more reputable ones  seem to keep some decent stock on hand. It will be interesting to see how long that can last if 2021 production is really down to 50% after being down in 2020. 

Prices have slipped up and two that had bulk/multi box discounts have gotten rid of them. If they can raise prices I think they can likely manage supply vs demand.

Flip side is that it is a great time for quality NC operators to expand their European and Asian footprint, 

Unfortunately, supply is an issue for them as well. 

11 hours ago, Rhinoww said:

I can tell you in the Rolex watch world it is the grey market resellers that have all the watch stock. Just try walking into an official Rolex jeweler and buying a stainless steel Rolex Daytona, Submariner or GMT at msrp. The display cases are empty. Want to pay double msrp and have a watch delivered by FedEx next day, the grey reseller is your best friend. 

13 hours ago, Bijan said:

Prices have slipped up and two that had bulk/multi box discounts have gotten rid of them.

This is a good thing--I was buying too many boxes (particularly petite coronas) because the temptation was impossible to resist.  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Flip side is that it is a great time for quality NC operators to expand their European and Asian footprint, 

Unfortunately, supply is an issue for them as well. 

Your Padron, Fuente and Rock Patel outfits have tons of tobacco available. I have not seen supply issues for the big guys like these. YMMV