By 2030......will 60 + ring gauges be the norm?

17 hours ago, Enduin said:

With cigar RGs we are already at a point where something ridiculous like a 60+RG will make the cigar less enjoyable for people with an average sized mouth. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen even a few 70 RG NCs. Once there are a lot of those ridiculously big cigars on the market, chances are that the consumers and the companies will realize that those cigars are less enjoyable and coupled with the need to make something “new”, they will probably go back to smaller RGs. I’ve not been keeping up too much with the NC scene, but the last time I checked what was new (December 2020), I found WAY more small RG NCs than what I remember in the early to mid 2010s. Maybe someone who is actually up to date like @Cigar Surgeon  can comment on that, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the NC world, which is years ahead in terms of the big RG trend compared to the NC world, has already taken some steps in the opposite direction. And if NCs start going skinny, you can rest assured eventually CCs will follow. 

The NC market is an odd place right now. You have a big push from some manufacturers for small ring gauge releases, while at the same time it's the biggest push ever for large ring gauge releases. The market is absolutely moving towards large ring gauges as a small ring gauge only company just recently had to give in to make a 6x60 because the demand was so high.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just don't throw all of us US guys in the same basket! I have no interest in those non Cuban 60+ ring donkey dongs. I feel many that smoke them do it simply because they think it looks macho and their

If all cigars were from 38-42, left room for an occasional Robusto and Figurado, my life would continue along just fine...

Not in my humidors. 

On 7/11/2021 at 12:59 PM, Cigar Surgeon said:

The NC market is an odd place right now. You have a big push from some manufacturers for small ring gauge releases, while at the same time it's the biggest push ever for large ring gauge releases. The market is absolutely moving towards large ring gauges as a small ring gauge only company just recently had to give in to make a 6x60 because the demand was so high.

Glad to hear it was not just my impression that there are a lot more smaller RG NCs now in spite of the push for big RGs! To be honest if the end result is that most cigars end up being small or big at the expense of "medium", which would make sense with how super polarized pretty much everything is nowadays, I'd be totally fine with that because today's "medium" is still pretty big IMHO. Nothing wrong with having a few jaw-breakers in the portfolio if people ask for them, as long as there is also plenty of small RG cigars too!

• Like 2

For NC's it's surprising how many companies release a Lancero vitola which is a good thing IMHO. Also a Corona (Gorda) sized cigar is easy to find and mostly in stock due to the large rg trend. I don't get the whole large rg thing. I think you get the most taste from a good wrapper to binder to filler ratio. If a brand has lines with the same blend they won't accomplish to get exactly the same taste, they claim they do but I call that BS. In the same blend a 46rg or a lancero like 39rg is waaaaaay more flavorfull than a larger rg to me.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn VOG-L29 met Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sometimes the lush draw and ample smoke of a robusto or no 2 is really nice, but a ring gauge of around 50 does it for me when I'm in the mood for that.  Generally I prefer skinnies though.  Just feels elegant.  

I agree with those who have mentioned a cyclical market.  I think sooner rather than later there will be an emphasis on skinnies in Cuba.  The NC market seems to be there already and I think Habanos will respond.

Upmann or RyJ Lanceros? I'd do dirty things to get my paws on some Bolivar or Partagas Lonsdales...

• Haha 1