"Fakes and Newbie advice"

Receive this one overnight. Over to you :D

"I get to the forum weekly and read up as best i can. I can't tell you how shitty it is to see so many examples of fake cigars put up. What is worse El Pres is you puting up packaging mistakes and other things on real cigars. WTF! let me ask you a question. If you or *** weren't in the supply picture and you could't get to cuba and you were forced to purchase online, how would you know if you were getting the real thing 100% of the time? I read greay market sellers mixing stocks of real and fake. With all the packaging + band + construction variance, what does a relatively newbie do to always get a real cuban cigar? are there any simple checks that most FOH'ers do?"

5 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Does he know you sell cigars? :thinking:

I assume he does :lol3:

9 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

If you or *** weren't in the supply picture

Just now, El Presidente said:

I assume he does :lol3:

"Hey Rob, I know you sell legit cigars, but if hypothetically you didn't sell legit cigars, where would you buy legit cigars online? I mean, no offense, I know you do...of course, yeah, totally legit, no question you're totally awesome but where else exactly would one go to get legit cigars? Like any names? Just asking for a friend."

• Thanks 1

Why do you think I passed this one to the forum :D

I think he was genuinely asking that in a CC world of inconsistency are there any consistencies/checks and balances  that members rely upon (outside  of trusted online vendors) that gives them confidence. 

Just now, El Presidente said:

I think he was genuinely asking that in a CC world of inconsistency are there any consistencies/checks and balances  that members rely upon (outside  of trusted online vendors) that gives them confidence. 

I know. But he's asking a trusted vendor where he can find a trusted vendor...I might be a tad insulted. 

• Like 1

Just now, NSXCIGAR said:

I know. But he's asking a trusted vendor where he can find a trusted vendor...I might be a tad insulted. 

you develop a thick skin in this business or you get out :lol3:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Think it's been asked before, but my process for fake sites;

1. What do they have in stock? If they have only D4s, and Cohibas and no JLP, Vegueros, PL, QdO, Quintero etc, then red flag. Ofcourse also if they have everything including Cohiba pyramide 2001 LEs then thats a falg aswell.

2. Prices, too cheap? obviosuly if its too good to be true.

3. Personal contact goes a long way for me. If they dont do a well looked after sales email or a facebok or watsapp chat then its a orange flag for me.

4. Then its jsut down to a test order. Normally test somethign small and cheap, and check that you get the region distributor stickers etc. and the authenticy check matches and so on.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

In addition to the excellent points made here apropos fakes, I would add that while authenticity is naturally the most important ingredient, it’s not the only factor when it comes to vendor quality. Shipment protocols and T&C (especially concerning lost/returned packages and refunds) are important factors to separate the wheat from the chaff among legit purveyors. 

Obviously you want to get as much information as you can from their website on the above (if there’s nothing at all, it’s a red flag). But the info isn’t always accurate or complete even with the best only vendors (FOH is something of an outlier in this respect). 

Ultimately, no amount of solo sleuthing can replace actual customer experiences. These days I do not even consider buying from a new vendor unless I’ve gotten at least one positive reference from a fellow Friend of Habanos. We can’t discuss specifics on the forum. But there are many veteran members here who are happy to answer a PM.

Zoom herfs are another great way to check up on potential vendors. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

you develop a thick skin in this business or you get out :lol3:

He likely drank too many beers or shots

28 minutes ago, LordAnubis said:

Normally test something small and cheap, and check that you get the region distributor stickers etc. and the authenticity check matches and so on.

That has been my approach with grey market vendors--and it has worked fine.    I started with Quinteros and some petite coronas.   However, when there is a wide variation in quality for specific cigars I always seek to buy them here.

• Like 1

I’m assuming it’s a US customer that has to buy blind online. How did we find our weed supplier back in the day?  Same process, word of mouth from others, test, sample, then keep using the ones that provide quality and authentic merchandise. For quality and value, it doesn’t get much better than FOH store or 24:24 if you can type fast 😁

• Like 4

I’m still looking for a plexiglass top box of Cohiba. Do you have any sources? Willing to pay top dollar, maybe two if they’re PSP/HQ...

2 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Receive this one overnight. Over to you :D

"I get to the forum weekly and read up as best i can. I can't tell you how shitty it is to see so many examples of fake cigars put up. What is worse El Pres is you puting up packaging mistakes and other things on real cigars. WTF! let me ask you a question. If you or *** weren't in the supply picture and you could't get to cuba and you were forced to purchase online, how would you know if you were getting the real thing 100% of the time? I read greay market sellers mixing stocks of real and fake. With all the packaging + band + construction variance, what does a relatively newbie do to always get a real cuban cigar? are there any simple checks that most FOH'ers do?"

I sent you that email in CONFIDENCE! I am so butt hurt right now. I am taking this up with HR. Someone named "bondage" roberts. Hope she's pretty😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Here’s my “simple check.” When you light the cigar, are you happy or do you wonder if you paid too much for it? If the former, then you have a real cigar. If not, you probably would be better off with a pack of Marlboro Lights and a can of Pabst Blue Ribbon beer.

That combo you can always be sure of...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Greenhorn2 said:

Now I know I've sent you a few 24:24 doozies that had to make you smile!

So that's why you keep missing them! A quick short polite note requesting the box of interest and Bob's your uncle.

I usually send a followup email later with a few pleasantries because Di is so pleasant. Great ladies are born on May 27th!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Habana Mike said:

So that's why you keep missing them! A quick short polite note requesting the box of interest and Bob's your uncle.

I usually send a followup email later with a few pleasantries because Di is so pleasant. Great ladies are born on May 27th!

I've wanted to do that but I was afraid to bother her.