Advice: Large Cigar Humidor Cabinet Seasoning and data patterns

gustavehenne

Requesting wisdom from those in the know :)

I started getting back into cigars a year ago and into the hoarding phase around six months ago. I purchased a few desktops and then a larger cigar fridge as I was getting tired of unpacking boxes (first world problems).

It’s fairly big with 14 shelves, holds up to 5,000 cigars and is climate controlled (I was starting to get worried about the UK weather on my desktops). It came on Friday and I set it to 72% and 18degrees then I stuck four Govee Hygrometer devices in them at each corner of the unit and got some interesting results. The humidification fan is at the base of the unit with sensors apparently aligned to the various shelves. Given the construction there will be some variability in the bottom and top zones of the humidor both for RH and temperature, due to size.

IMG_9753.jpg.a15e6a23d9d8d26aaf99e206dc708d75.jpg

It’s been seasoning since Friday afternoon although given that the only wood inside is the shelves I’m surprised with the variability of the humidor. Data is a wonderful thing so I’ve taken some screenshots of the four different humidor readings (helpfully labelled). My desktops had Boveda packs and worked brilliantly - you can see from the chart were very stable until I unearthed the Govee’s from my desktops. 

Summary.PNG.009256d45115dec25b43c0d672eee136.PNG

The summary of the humidor is above with the various Govee's reporting data below:

TopLeft.PNG.8f04641159649020021c85a182c6f9f4.PNGTopRight.PNG.2cd77355b2ccea0ab027d44b1e544635.PNG

------ 

BottomLeft.PNG.38041d9a8fc0475fa489f7ce55b3b24b.PNGBottomRight.PNG.abd1030b9e120847c298dc786c96130d.PNG

I’ll readily admit that maybe I’m just jumping the gun and should allow seasoning to go on for a while longer or do you think there’s a bit more cause for concern? .. 

Hmm, I really wouldn't go by those guages. Everything is never 100% accurate. The best you can do for the time being is try different brands and then take the average. As far as seasoning goes. It seems like its at a level where you can start putting in a couple boxes here and there and see what happens. 

• 2 months later...

Hey Steven, just came across your thread.. 

I am also in the UK and had several large cabinet style humidors, and none are perfect. They do however take quite long time to stabilise and work best when filled up at around 80%.. looking at your data variations aren’t as high as with others, however that may change once it’s filled up..
you can try placing a sensor inside few boxes, scattered around the shelves and leave them for a week. This will give you an accurate reading on what’s going on with cigars.

Ahh, also - don’t overthink it…

MY Best