Lube suggestions?

Just got this Xikar v-cutter.  Love the cutter, but I’m finding the mechanism is a little sticky, specifically on the down-stroke, which is causing some uneven cuts. Anyone have any ideas for a lube that wouldn’t be messy, nor impart flavors on the cigar?  Graphite?  Tiny drop of lightweight oil?  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Wheezy

9BE08EB7-EE02-4F0F-BB93-3BA72717960D.png

No! I wouldn't use anything on it. The more you use the cutter it will break in! And FYI Astro Glide is a water based lube for SEX or wanking. NOT for lubricating metal to metal parts. OMG😂

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Heels82 said:

Peter North that thing and see what happens.  

Showing your age there, pal. 😜👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, LordAnubis said:

You get cans of dry setting PTFE based lubricants, i'd use that. I wouldn't use anything wet.

Same recommendation here. I've only tried one so I can't speak to all. My PTFE aerosol can sprays on clear, very thin viscosity, and dries in a few seconds leaving behind a light dry film. Film wears away and needs periodic re-application. Heavy application leaves a white translucent film. It's not terribly noticeable though it will dull the shine.

Yes I have used on one of my cutters. Yes I would again.

• Like 1

This stuff is a staple around Casa Pigfish. You will note that it says not for retail consumer use. I am an professional... -LOL

IMG_1160.JPG.6e77afe1567d7d5f7fafbb87c9f23cb7.JPG

This makes it kind of tough to find. You have to get it at an industrial supply. It contains silicone and isobutane and leaves no oil distillate carriers. That is what makes it different from most of the silicone sprays that you find in the hardware and autoparts stores. Silicones are used for lubrication of medical devices. They are generally inert and food safe. You spray this, and you won't see it on your cutter. It won't make it oily.

For the record, I don't use it on cutters. I simply keep them clean. Keep them clean and they won't bind (generally). But if they are out of tolerance and wear surfaces are no longer tight and parallel, then perhaps you should trash the cutter and get a new one.

Cheers! -Piggy

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PigFish said:

This stuff is a staple around Casa Pigfish. You will note that it says not for retail consumer use. I am an professional... -LOL

IMG_1160.JPG.6e77afe1567d7d5f7fafbb87c9f23cb7.JPG

This makes it kind of tough to find. You have to get it at an industrial supply. It contains silicone and isobutane and leaves no oil distillate carriers. That is what makes it different from most of the silicone sprays that you find in the hardware and autoparts stores. Silicones are used for lubrication of medical devices. They are generally inert and food safe. You spray this, and you won't see it on your cutter. It won't make it oily.

For the record, I don't use it on cutters. I simply keep them clean. Keep them clean and they won't bind (generally). But if they are out of tolerance and wear surfaces are no longer tight and parallel, then perhaps you should trash the cutter and get a new one.

Cheers! -Piggy

The OP insinuated his cutter is brand new. I suggested no lubrication and just use it and it will likely "break in" and then no worries! The responses for lubrication suggestions have been interesting to say the least. Especially the ASTRO GLIDE suggestion!🤪

astroglide.jpg

*I use 3-in-1 oil on everything.