Best wishes to the people of Cuba-

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from an SOSCubaNYC March. I had the bullhorn for a few minutes to tell my story and why I'm there to support. So many amazing Cubans marching as one. We walked from Times Square to Union

Message from Hamlet         

Yep it does - replace blockade with embargo and you get the drift ... 🙂 The Blockade does not prohibit fishermen in Cuba from fishing, the dictatorship does; 🇨🇺-The blockade does not confis

It’s all over social media. Certain cities have no medicine, doctors, food, water, internet and electricity. Shits worse than ever right now. Small spontaneous protests all over social media too. Communism sucks and so do lockdowns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/cuba/article252713788.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. Prayers for their safety and liberty. Those with friends and family please apprise us of any development. 

According to Carolina Barrero, a Cuban activist, “It is the most massive popular demonstration to protest the government that we have experienced in Cuba since ’59.”

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, MrBirdman said:

Wow. Prayers for their safety and liberty. Those with friends and family please apprise us of any development. 

According to Carolina Barrero, a Cuban activist, “It is the most massive popular demonstration to protest the government that we have experienced in Cuba since ’59.”

The combination of piss poor living conditions and a fledgling government has to be of concern to the political elite that control Cuba.  

I hope Cubans do the best thing for Cuba, whatever that may be.  

Looks like some are getting fed up ...

No translations, just links :

https://diariodecuba.com/cuba/1626030567_32573.html

The boss says "they will have to pass over our dead bodies and we are ready for anything" ,,,

https://diariodecuba.com/cuba/1626037621_32576.html

Palma Soriano is up :

https://diariodecuba.com/cuba/1626026382_32571.html

People shouting "Freedom" in San Antonio de los Baños :

https://diariodecuba.com/cuba/1626022610_32569.html

• Like 2

Cuban President is apparently calling for civil war :

"The order of combat is given, the revolutionaries take to the streets,"

Díaz-Canel threatens

The ruler called for a civil war on the island this Sunday

14ymedio, Havana | July 11, 2021

https://www.14ymedio.com/cuba/combate-calle-revolucionarios-amenaza-Diaz-Canel-Cuba_0_3128687108.html

Cuban leader Miguel Díaz-Canel in an address this Sunday afternoon called for a civil war on the island. In his speech he called on the communists to take to the streets from now on and in the coming days.

"We will be in the streets fighting," threatened the leader after the protests that are taking place throughout Cuba against the dictatorship.

In his speech, Díaz-Canel fundamentally blamed the crisis that the country is experiencing on the sanctions of the United States against the island. After spending several minutes on this issue, it was that the leader spoke about the events that have occurred this Sunday in several points of the country and also referred to his trip to San Antonio de los Baños.

With shouts of "Freedom", "Down with communism", "Homeland and life", "We want vaccine" and "Díaz-Canel singao", thousands of Cubans came out to protest in the streets of San Antonio de los Baños, in the province Artemisa, this Sunday in the midst of the severe crisis that the country is experiencing due to the pandemic and the shortage of basic products.

PS : Diaz Canel Singao means Fxxk Diaz Canel ... my 2 cents translating as it apparently didn't pass the test  🙂

• Thanks 4

Hmmm, wonder if the Cuban regime will ask for US troops to maintain order ... just kidding as it all is to blame on the US embargo of course .

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Looks like some are waking up - Love the Cuban President's excuse at the end .... :

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-57799852

Cubans stage rare protests over Covid measures

• Published 31 minutes ago

Crowd in the centre of Havana, 11 July 2021image copyrightReuters
image captionProtesters marched to protest against the government

Hundreds of people have joined protests against Cuba's communist government in the capital, Havana, and several other cities.

Videos posted on social media show people calling for freedom, democracy and demanding vaccines to tackle the coronavirus pandemic.

The demonstrations, which are rare in Cuba, come as the country reports a record number of Covid infections.

President Miguel Diaz-Canel blamed the United States for the unrest.

Supporters of the government also rallied in Havana.

On Friday, Cuba approved its home-grown vaccine for emergency use, Abdala Two, a first for Latin America and the Caribbean.

The opposition says these are the biggest anti-government protests on the island in almost 30 years.

One protester, in San Antonio de los Banos, 30km (20 miles) south of Havana, told the AFP news agency people were angry about "the situation with electricity and food".

"The energy situation seems to have produced some reaction here," admitted President Diaz-Canel, blaming "a Cuban-American mafia" for stirring up discontent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Looks like even the Chicken & Noodles Network has something to report :

Cubans take to streets in rare protests over lack of freedom, economy

By Patrick Oppmann, CNN

Updated 2217 GMT (0617 HKT) July 11, 2021

Images appeared to show protests in different parts of the country Sunday -- including the capital Havana, seen here.

Images appeared to show protests in different parts of the country Sunday -- including the capital Havana, seen here.

Havana, Cuba (CNN)Thousands of Cubans took to the streets in rare protests Sunday to complain about a lack of freedom and a worsening economic situation, according to protesters speaking to CNN and videos from multiple cities.

In the city of San Antonio de los Baños, just outside Havana province, hundreds of people defied a heavy police presence to air their complaints.
One resident who did not wish to be identified told CNN that residents had been enduring power outages for a week and that had "detonated" the growing outrage.
Videos uploaded to social media appeared to show other protests in a handful of cities and towns across the island.
In some of the videos, people shouted they "weren't afraid" or that they wanted liberty or access to coronavirus vaccines.
The already struggling Cuban economy has beenhit hard as tourism and good imports have dropped steeply during the pandemic.
On Sunday, Cuban health officials reported a record single-day increase for new Covid-19 cases and deaths.

•  
  •  
  • Thanks 1

Nothing yet from San Antonio…internet is cut and my family is freaking out here in FL. There is a huge protest happening in Tampa…

Abajo el communismo. Abajo Fidel. Cuba Libre

I have seen many videos of the protests and a lot of people flying American flags and wearing American flag shirts and shorts…

• Like 3

This from RTE this morning. 

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2021/0712/1234493-cuba-government-protests/

I share it as it's the first time I've ever seen overturned police cars in Cuba.

I'm not sure what the live situation is but I saw videos of heavily-armed police in military-style uniforms patrolling Havana last night.

Diaz-Canal gave an odd speech last night, along the lines of "What's so bad with a dictatorship anyway..?"

The Malecon riots in 1994 dispersed after Fidel himself showed up and gave a rousing speech. Diaz-Canal doesn't have Castro's charisma.

From a good mate. 

Thanks Rob. Social unrest in several parts of the Island. Havana is heating up since early morning. They cut off communications, shut down internet at midday. Later they stop broadcasting the Eurocup Final and the president started his own show on TV.  It's almost 4 am now and we have internet again. I am safe. Today is going to be difficult. People are not showing up to work and they will go on the streets. There's a lot a police repression though. Will keep you posted. If not, it is because internet is gone. Big hug

1.jpg

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Ryan said:

This from RTE this morning. 

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2021/0712/1234493-cuba-government-protests/

I share it as it's the first time I've ever seen overturned police cars in Cuba.

I'm not sure what the live situation is but I saw videos of heavily-armed police in military-style uniforms patrolling Havana last night.

Yep, the proverbial sh#t hits the fan ...

Those black clad figures are "special riot response troops" from barracks in Parque Almendares, the so-called black berets, but they were beaten on the Malecon...

And looks like the police will run away. Iconic picture.

1162626081_HAV0721.jpg.f9c9c93b8f548c5471829cab6b0e55bf.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Nino said:

And looks like the police will run away. Iconic picture.

So the big question is how will the military play this. If there are fractures we may just be about to see them. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

So the big question is how will the military play this. If there are fractures we may just be about to see them. 

As Andy comments, the Malecon riots back in 1994 were stopped by Fidel's charisma and iron fist control of the military.

The present "finger appointed" clown Diaz Canel has neither charisma nor control.

I wouldn't be surprised if 1) Raul comes back full force in uniform to take control or 2) the whole system implodes and chaos reigns.

Flip your coin.

• Like 4