Best wishes to the people of Cuba-

The embargo is because of the Cuban government stealing of US property in Cuba.  (late 50s, early 60s). Just like if the US government were to confiscate all airplanes and hangars currently in US airports that are owned by foreign companies.  It has nothing to do with the government/economic system Cuba claims to have.

The US and Cuba are enemies.  Just ask the Cuban leaders.

Over 100 countries in the world embargo the sale of arms to Cuba (and many other places as well).

Cuba seems to be able to sell, somewhere in the world, almost all (all?) that it produces.

Food and medicine are not embargoed by the US.  Cuba can buy as much as they like from the US or any other country.

Since “the revolution” Cuba has never been self-sufficient.   They required “gifts” from other communist allies.  Gifts on the scale necessary to make Cuba whole are never free in the long term.

• Like 4

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from an SOSCubaNYC March. I had the bullhorn for a few minutes to tell my story and why I'm there to support. So many amazing Cubans marching as one. We walked from Times Square to Union

Message from Hamlet         

Yep it does - replace blockade with embargo and you get the drift ... 🙂 The Blockade does not prohibit fishermen in Cuba from fishing, the dictatorship does; 🇨🇺-The blockade does not confis

Here is yesterdays Miami Herald in Spanish. Notice the matching boots for most of them, very young dudes and it looks like they dont want to be there. Saw a video today where the Avispas Negras were whacking people laying down on the ground with their sticks. Also, on Twitter a group of the AN's took a group picture as to say "Look at us, aren't we cool?" Senator Marco Rubio (FL) asked the public to identify those people dressed in black and swinging sticks so as to deny entry into the US. The food issue is a long one. For a time, say pre-2008 you could bring as much food as you wanted. Limits were only based on airlines restrictions. But groups like USAID and Miami travel/mula agencies were over-doing it. The agencies were sending a person with (20) 70 lb bags with the Charter companies and Cuban Customs did not like that much. USAID sent to dissidents on the island and that did not sit with them well either. Instead of slowing it down by allowing say only one bag, they went to the extreme and shut that down. Allowing food does not just benefit the mula agencies. A lot of it is sold and resold, benefitting the vendors. Many of the food items just aren't available especially spices/seasonings so the families do benefit. There are many here in Miami/FL that take down goods only for their families. Many stay there 2-3 weeks at a time blowing wads of cash on meals and necessities. Hell, when I go down there I take cases of beer. You can get more smiles from a case of beer than anything else. On a side note this is what it takes to get to Cuba now from Miami with the charter companies; $2000 for the ticket, $6/lb for your checked and carry-on bags. Several tiki-tak fees for the COVID tests and after July 15, a 14 day quarantine. With American you might get on 1st class for about $1700 and the standard bag policy. So they are not making it very desirable to go there. John

20210714_214333.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Kevin48438 said:

Cuba seems to be able to sell, somewhere in the world, almost all (all?) that it produces.

Yes but the buyers pay in their currency and Cuba can only spend it back in that country. They end up in a lot of direct trade situations. Euros are easier to be sure, but the US sanctions any western/European banks that deal with Cuba. The last Swiss bank (PostFinance) stopped dealing with Cuba in late 2019. Not to mention Cuba is pretty far away from Europe to sell agricultural goods. 

There's no doubt that the Embargo has hampered the Cuban economy but we have a 62-year stalemate. And there are regimes that are far worse that the US doesn't embargo. The Cuban government has shown no desire to reform in order to lift the Embargo so categorizing it as ineffective isn't debatable. At this point the regime prefers the Embargo as a propaganda tool. 

But 99% of the economic problems Cuba faces is due to it's lack of economic freedom. 

• Like 4

A Cuban's perspective:

Yesterday the president and the two prime ministers spoke and for them Cuba is advancing ... I am so disgusted to hear them 🤦🏻‍♂️ They released a series of measures among them they will allow the tax-free entry of medicine, food and articles of personal hygiene ... I'll explain to you so that you understand that even before the pandemic started, if any Cuban traveled to Cuba brought food, medicine or toiletries, they had to pay an abusive high tax and in USD ... on multiple occasions it was asked, the government was implored to allow the entry of those basic things to mitigate hunger, lack of medicine ... and nothing 🤦🏻‍♂️ only until yesterday and after the demonstrations they allowed it 🤬

• Sad 2

My uncle had a shirt factory in Cuba he was forced to abandon during the revolution.  I don't think the factory continued under the regime and he set up the same in Haiti.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, JohnnyO said:

There is a Cuban living in Panama that has a lot of videos of what's going on in Cuba:

Alain Paparazzi Cubano

He is on YouTube and Facebook. You might struggle to follow along as its only in Spanish and he knows no English. But you'll get the idea from the videos. John

Thanks for pointing out his channel. 

Alain Lambert has done amazing work for years.  He was one of the first people I ever saw live-streaming in Cuba (all the way back in 2016 and 2017).  I've been a fan for some time.  Anytime a celebriety came to Cuba, there he was following them and filming it and usually got a chance to ask them a question or two.  He would travel outside of Havana to as far as Santiago to film the Carnival (where he got arrested during a live stream), Christmas in Remedios, etc.  He was filming and livestreaming during hurricane Irma.  He then started meeting average Cubans on the street and asking them to show his audience what their homes were like and how they lived.  Some of what he he saw was incredibly emmotional and seemed to affect Alain quite a bit.  I don't think this reporting and his commentary went over well with his government.

If you go back into his videos about 8 to 6 months ago, you will see a video he streamed live inside an aircraft cabin on the ramp in Havana where he said he needed to quickly sell everything he had and leave Cuba for Panama.  He's been there since then.    

With every new video I watch ... this causes the most visceral of reactions. These paramilitary clowns showing up with sticks... You're just as hungry as the Cuban you're beating down. How can you be so idealistic in your communist mind to not see that? They're all wearing t-shirts one or two sizes too small for them. I would do that to defend some, much higher, standard of living. They don't live THAT much better. Completely brainwashed! 

Comments on social media says, you'll find them in Hialeah in 8 months after this falls apart. I hope they don't make it that far. 

• Like 4

From what I could find out, these videos were recorded yesterday.  No idea on location.  To me, these look like MIG-21 and the helicopter looks like a MIL Mi-17 or newer.  Someone with better knowledge of Soviet era helicopters might know better as to what it is.   

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TUDBACqbokEtVnYB9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RrJp8Wz8CYYYRzok6

Hopefully just a show of force. 

6 hours ago, chris12381 said:

Thanks for pointing out his channel. 

Alain Lambert has done amazing work for years.  He was one of the first people I ever saw live-streaming in Cuba (all the way back in 2016 and 2017).  I've been a fan for some time.  Anytime a celebriety came to Cuba, there he was following them and filming it and usually got a chance to ask them a question or two.  He would travel outside of Havana to as far as Santiago to film the Carnival (where he got arrested during a live stream), Christmas in Remedios, etc.  He was filming and livestreaming during hurricane Irma.  He then started meeting average Cubans on the street and asking them to show his audience what their homes were like and how they lived.  Some of what he he saw was incredibly emmotional and seemed to affect Alain quite a bit.  I don't think this reporting and his commentary went over well with his government.

If you go back into his videos about 8 to 6 months ago, you will see a video he streamed live inside an aircraft cabin on the ramp in Havana where he said he needed to quickly sell everything he had and leave Cuba for Panama.  He's been there since then.    

One thing that I saw last night with Alain Paparazzi Cubano is that he identified many of the "Avispas Negras" with images of them, their families members and names. The video with the dude knocked out on the sidewalk getting whacked with the sticks is too much. John 

5 hours ago, ElJavi76 said:

With every new video I watch ... this causes the most visceral of reactions. These paramilitary clowns showing up with sticks... You're just as hungry as the Cuban you're beating down. How can you be so idealistic in your communist mind to not see that? 

As @Nino pointed out in earlier comments when he mentioned the Eastern Bloc countries, these guys are key to how these fights are won. 

With enough people protesting and in the street, it is not unlikely that a portion of those that have the power (the guns) start to realize that they too are hungry, they too have family who can't get medicine, they too go home to dark houses, etc. In other words, they are not any different from those they are fighting...and are fighting for something that isn't worth fighting for.  They might not want to see the massive changes many envision:  But they know they don't want more of the same. 

If that begins to happen...se acabó. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnnyO said:

One thing that I saw last night with Alain Paparazzi Cubano is that he identified many of the "Avispas Negras" with images of them, their families members and names.

That's exactly what needs to start happening. I could never figure out why the soldiers are willing to fight against the communities from which they come. For what, a little money?

There is no "soldier class" like Sparta. None of these soldiers were conscripted as a child. They grew up like every other Cuban. They have families and friends who they grew up with and know full well the truth of the situation. If the only way to get these soldiers to lay their weapons down is to go after these mercenaries' families, so be it. Participation in the oppression of one's family for money is a much greater crime. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PigFish said:

BIG F'N Bingo!

Read about that recent head of BLM (self-proclaimed Marxist) buying millions dollars of real estate with BLM proceeds. Typical Marxist. Would be nice if neo-Marxist actually told the truth about it. What it really is. Their actions speak plain as day!!!

There, I said it. -Piggy

I posted the link to that here ( as well as Randy Newman singing "It's money that matters" ).

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57277777?fbclid=IwAR2MxXeu3DsSCoQ8T_Jl2TRv0Yq_1nZNg6_bgUPMDONCBqwvf0QWuJ_rHts

When I gow up I wanna be a Marxist, buy a mansion in Topanga Canyon, condemm my country and support the Cuban regime ... did I miss anything ?

• Like 3