Is it okay to burn the cigar right away without stabilization?

ROTT. If you like it, cool. If not, wait a bit then try again. 99.99% of the time to me, ROTT does the trick. A lot of pseudoscience in the "wait 90 day" camp if you ask me. You also can't deny placebo either, e.g. if you're really in the mood for a cigar, you're gonna enjoy it more regardless.

To me....cigars are natural products. They are going to have variances in taste, naturally. Even in the same box. I personally am not convinced waiting some pre-determined amount of time will change this & it's more likely a good stick is simply a good stick and vice versa...but if you want to wait, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Basically, you do you man. If you're asking the question, I say smoke now :)

I have a small cabinet humidor for long term storage and and I move my cigars to a desktop once a month or so. I have enough cigars to make waiting a while before I sample boxes easy. So, back in the day most of the cigars I received from overseas were sopping wet. I had enough bad experiences trying to smoke ROTT, cigars that wouldn't stay lit and had bitter flavors that I decided to at least let cigars rest for a month before sampling them. I've found that waiting is very beneficial and I do hold cigars years before sampling them. Some marcas, like Cohiba, IMHO, are best with a long rest, like five years. That's just me. I think the amount of traveling a Cuban cigar does in it's early life has to be detrimental to its performance. A little time to get over jet lag and acclimate to a preferred RH seems like a small sacrifice to have, I think, a vastly better cigar. My .02$

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Lrabold89 said:

Smoothing out ? Magic ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dunno. They seem happy in their new home.

• Like 1

A cigar will give you what it's capable of delivering at that moment in time whenever you choose to smoke it. 

I have smoked right upon receipt if the cigar feels like it's in a smokeable condition. Meaning not spongy wet, primarily. Guess what, most times it's just fine. What you won't necessarily get is a sense for how a cigar from a box well-equilibrated to your storage conditions will behave. That's a different consideration entirely.

I wonder if a mere shift of a few percentage of RH or a few degrees could actually account for converting a dog rocket into a charmer. I tend to think not. This is a different thing from the effects of extended time.

• Like 3

On 7/16/2021 at 11:40 PM, Hammer Smokin' said:

They cost too much to gamble rott.

90 days minimum.

Preferably 6 months to a year for the 1st.

This is where I am too. At least 6 months, 1 year even better.