Seeking feedback on H Upmann

Hey everyone, so I have been eyeing some of the more affordable HU options but I really don't have any experience with any of them. Specifically, the Coronas Major, Majestics and the Regalias. Can you guys tell me which you like best and why?
Basically I'm just looking for a more affordable way to scratch that HU itch I occasionally get without having to break in to the pricier HUs I am trying to age. By the way, for reference, my favorite HUs are the #2s, SW & Noellas. 

Thanks in advance for your feedback!!

Thirded
I love the taste of the HUHC, but they are just so small and are over with so quickly I am left craving more.

They just aren't satisfying for me.
I wish the same Blend was made in a larger vitola. I would definitely buy lots

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, smbauerllc said:

I love the taste of the HUHC, but they are just so small and are over with so quickly I am left craving more.

They just aren't satisfying for me.
I wish the same Blend was made in a larger vitola. I would definitely buy lots

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have to second this, I've heard great things and I'm not at all against trying them...but I also know that I am really not a short smoke kind of guy. I usually prefer no smaller than Coronas but I am definitely still taking the HUHC in to consideration so thanks for that!

@BrightonCorgi I've been through a box of 46s and also aging a box atm, I was pleasantly surprised by them but I still prefer the 2s to everything else except for maybe the Winstons. Plus mags cost a fair amount as well.

• Like 1

Out of what you've listed I found the Coronas Major to be the best one by a fairly decent margin; decent cheapie with a good representation of classic Upmann flavours.

The HUHC gets good reviews but I've never had good experiences with them. I'm in the minority though and they are a premium cigar so should be a step up in terms of quality but also price if that's a concern

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Regalias have gone thru highs and lows. 08 thru 11 I thought were superb but needed a year down time or more. Cracked open 17s a few months back and awful. Heard recents much better. Enjoy the HUHC and have a few boxes Im smoking from. Have not tried Corona Major in years and didnt care for the few I had but doesnt mean much as recent production could be spot on. I do like well aged Epicure. Have never had one with less than 5 yrs age so sometime in next couple yrs will crack open my 17s. Not sure if ever had Majestic. Mag 54 is in drybox bullpen for tonight. Sir Winstons used to be as common as a JLP. Ah...good old days! Wish I wouldnt have sold off all of mine. Didnt expect to see such a production drought. 

• Thanks 1

Wait until you see a sale on the Connie #1's. A bit more money but likely much better than those 3 mentioned. I have read nothing but negative reviews regarding the Regalias. Obviously not a suitable substitute for the discontinued PC. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I personally find all the HU tubos, Majestics, Regalias and Epicures to be lacking.

The first major step up is going to be the HC. They're not for everyone though so the next stop is the Connie 1 which is a staple for me and many others. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

@BrightonCorgi I've been through a box of 46s and also aging a box atm, I was pleasantly surprised by them but I still prefer the 2s to everything else except for maybe the Winstons. Plus mags cost a fair amount as well.

No. 2, SW, Noella, and Connie's are my favorites.  Although I mention the Mag line, I am indifferent to them. 

A big loss to the Upmann marca was discontinuing the Monarch's.  Was my favorite cigar and did not break the bank either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sheesh go figure, I kick myself all the time for not getting serious about this hobby earlier and missing out on a lot of the discontinued stuff...

Thanks again for everyone's input by the way...it's starting to look like I'll probably eventually pull the trigger on some HUHC and Coronas Major in addition to Connie 1s (when I see them!)

HU really is such a marvelous marca, I hope they decide to branch out with new cigars in the future (or bring back some old ones anyway!)

9 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Sheesh go figure, I kick myself all the time for not getting serious about this hobby earlier and missing out on a lot of the discontinued stuff...

Thanks again for everyone's input by the way...it's starting to look like I'll probably eventually pull the trigger on some HUHC and Coronas Major in addition to Connie 1s (when I see them!)

HU really is such a marvelous marca, I hope they decide to branch out with new cigars in the future (or bring back some old ones anyway!)

I would not count on seeing "old ones" back in portfolio unless high priced RE or EL. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

No. 2, SW, Noella, and Connie's are my favorites.  Although I mention the Mag line, I am indifferent to them. 

A big loss to the Upmann marca was discontinuing the Monarch's.  Was my favorite cigar and did not break the bank either.

I would agree with the selection of favourites.

Also missing in action (discontinued) was the Petit Corona.

As far as the Monarchs are concerned (which I have enjoyed) - their closest brethren currently would be the Sir Winston. Back in the day - they were more affordable too....

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

.it's starting to look like I'll probably eventually pull the trigger on some HUHC

If so, my recommendation would be picking up the box of HUHC next time Rob has them up. They aren't bad young by any means, but they are much better from 3+ years and by the 5 year mark will develop a wonderful Upmann-y richness. They really really reward serious time down. By far the best sub-PC experiences I've had have come from HUHC with 5+ years on them. Yeah - they're smaller than your thumb, but reward sloooow smoking. If you're someone who just isn't satisfied after a 25-30 minute smoke, there's no rule against lighting up another (or something else)!

One last upside of the half-corona vitola is that they have one of the lowest, if not the lowest plug rates. I've never even needed a PD on a HUHC. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Hey everyone, so I have been eyeing some of the more affordable HU options but I really don't have any experience with any of them. Specifically, the Coronas Major, Majestics and the Regalias. Can you guys tell me which you like best and why?
Basically I'm just looking for a more affordable way to scratch that HU itch I occasionally get without having to break in to the pricier HUs I am trying to age. By the way, for reference, my favorite HUs are the #2s, SW & Noellas. 

Thanks in advance for your feedback!!

Maybe try a couple of them first to see if you like them and they fit in your rotation.

You might find that you prefer to have one solid Upmann instead of 2-3 cheaper ones. 

The HUHC is a good compromise and a solid smoke on its own. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MrBirdman said:

If so, my recommendation would be picking up the box of HUHC next time Rob has them up.

I would strongly recommend buying a 6er first on the HUHC. They are really not everyone's cup of tea. Even I, a regular HU smoker, am not enamored with them. The blend strikes me as a bit odd (but ostensibly high quality). Impossible to tell if someone will love them or hate them until trying. I know I was very surprised I didn't like them, and I still don't. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I would strongly recommend buying a 6er first on the HUHC. They are really not everyone's cup of tea. Even I, a regular HU smoker, am not enamored with them. The blend strikes me as a bit odd (but ostensibly high quality). Impossible to tell if someone will love them or hate them until trying. I know I was very surprised I didn't like them, and I still don't. 

I can't say I disagree but I can't recall 1/4 boxes of HUHC being offered here, at least in the past two years. Of course trades are always an option. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've come late to HU, but I've very much enjoyed what I've tried, and I can't believe I waited so long due to my distaste for the NC variety from nearly 30 years ago.

Right now I'm trying not to get deep with Connie As like I did with partagas D4s (because I went deeeep). But it's brewing. And I just tried my first mag 50 which I really enjoyed. It's like a cornerstone smoke. The smell and flavors are what I think of when I think cigar.

Get some 10s and try a few things. I think, as has been mentioned, buying cheap and possible disfavored smokes is worse than sinking a little more into a small box of 10s and trying them. 

Come to think of it, wouldn't it be nice if we had brand samplers the way NCs do?

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...