email of the week. Gifting fakes....and knowing it

Gifting Fakes   

112 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I politely told this gent that I had no idea what he should do but that with his permission I would put it to the esteemed members.  He agreed and gives his thanks. 

This is all very Jerry Springer to me so...................over to you :D

"I got married last month to my high school sweetheart and my best man gave me a box Cohiba Siglo VI. It was a 10 count box and they were as fake as can be with no date code and a serial number when checked after the wedding that referenced a box of Romeo y julieta churchills.  We smoked them at the weddig and they were horrible which is why I checked them afterwads. 

My best man knows his cigars which bums me even more. My wife says to let it go but it irritates me so much as he is a good friend. He has plenty of real cuban cigars as he purchases from you and ***.  

Should I call him out? There is a small chance he did not now. No, there is no chance he did not know.

What would you do?"

• El Presidente changed the title to email of the week. Gifting fakes....and knowing it

well, traditionally the groom provides a gift to the best man - not in reverse (at least that's what I've found). 

I guess the gift to you ("gift") is considered a bonus. 

Wonder if the best man really didn't want to be one.

• Like 1

Cats out of the bag now as if he purchases from here, he’ll probably see this thread.  Which is imho is the best possible outcome. You can see that the groom had good intentions. 

But what can I say I’ve been gifted a few fakes from clients and I usually just 😀 and reference them back here for the “best deal”. 

• Like 2

If he knows his cigars and he smoked one with you, I would wager he did not know.  I know a little about cigars and no way I would knowingly give fakes and then smoke them with the guy I gave them to as a gift.

Now, if he stood back as you fired one up then I might have a problem...

I say he didn't know and let it go.

• Like 1

Best man. Unless you choose your friends poorly, I could only say that he didn’t know. If you stole and married his ex-girlfriend, then of course you have your answer...

• Like 1

Since you are convinced that he already knew, I would absolutely bring it to his attention. Since his friendship seems to be suspect already, his reaction should help you decide if it’s a friendship worth keeping. 

All joking aside, it’s sad your best man would knowingly do that. I’m sorry you are dealing with this. 

• Like 1

Not so hard to deal with - just casually bring it up next time you’re both out.

If he was your Best Man, I’d assume he’s a close friend with whom, I’d further postulate, you can have a candid dialogue with, without obtruding yourself in a condemning way. GL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it was his best man then assuming they are very good friends. I'm sure if he takes him out for a smoke and drink one on one and talk to him about it I think he would be good with it if he was a true friend and honestly probably didn't know.  If they were an older box with old bands it might not as easy to tell they are fake and so give him the benefit of the doubt but do t with grace.

I don't see the problem here. Be honest and direct. The world needs more of that. 

The dude probably has no idea. I think the real problem is in the guy sending the email: he, and some folks here, really believe the friend knowingly passed fakes. What does that say about us?

• Like 3

Assume best intentions. Your friend probably had no idea. He just gave them away without looking into them in details. You have to also consider that he didn't smoke one before. While smoking with you, he probably knew, but kept quiet since he felt bad, and didn't want to ruin the situation and look like a fool. Plus I hear at weddings people drink, and it's unclear how buzzed he was. Behind the scenes he maybe even went back to the seller to complain.

Just be honest say you smoked another one, and say those cigars you gave me tasted awful. Keep giving comments like that until he either says I know, gets pissed off, or starts looking into it.

Plant the seed and let it grow. Maybe he'll start questioning them too if he didn't know, and then when he asks for more info like the box code, he'll discover the truth himself and make things right. 

Again, I don't think it was done deliberately. If you still think it was, your friend can look forward to a box of the finest Siglo VI with glass top you can find for his next celebration! 

• Like 1

I've never had a good experience telling people their cigars were counterfeit.

• Like 3

Just now, joeypots said:

This. Even in the nicest possible way, and even with the most obvious possible fake cigars with the silliest origin stories of "dude these behike 56s were only 75 bucks because my friends cousin is really cool and works in a Jamaican airport."  I've gotten some people furious at me for even suggesting thst the Jamaican airport cousin was not legit. 

Why would you sell something to your awesome cousin for 75 bucks when you could auction it for over a thousand? BECAUSE FAMILY COMES FIRST YOU APE. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, joeypots said:

I have tried it--and the folks simply do not believe me and start getting bent out of shape, so I drop it.

My fallback position (which seems to have worked) is to tell folks I have too many cigars and I do not want any more as gifts.  This is most effective with my wife by my side--she will quickly chime in with "you can say that again...do not give him any more cigars!"

😀

has he shared genuine cigars with you in the past? if so, unless you have really pissed him off lately, i suspect he might know less about cigars than you think or he claims. i'd be inclined, when the moment is right, to ask if he knew they were fake. 

• Like 2

The best man is either a best friend or Some close family member. If a best friend, I’d question his friendship going forward since if seems he is familiar with Cuban cigars.

Let it go, as telling him you know won’t change my mind about his loyalty. 

1 hour ago, Ken Gargett said:

has he shared genuine cigars with you in the past? if so, unless you have really pissed him off lately, i suspect he might know less about cigars than you think or he claims. i'd be inclined, when the moment is right, to ask if he knew they were fake. 

I don’t know. The old expression “never look a gift horse in the mouth” comes to mind. I would agree with Ken’s suspicions that he may know less than you assume. I would give the benefit of the doubt and believe that he found another “bargain” on a rather expensive cigar to impress his mate.

• Like 2