How did you start smoking cigars?

My first cigar was when I was 21. I was playing baseball in college and we were playing against university of Hawaii. Our last night on the island I bought a bottle of captain Morgan and some cigars from the ABC store downstairs. I was the one of only guys old enough to buy alcohol. I thought it would fine throwing in some chewing tobacco while I drank and smoke. I don’t remember the rest of the night. It literally left a bad taste in my mouth and I put cigars off for years. 

I didn’t have another cigar until my wedding when I was 28. We had a cigar bar and it was amazing. I’ve been hooked ever since. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, jay8354 said:

I blame it all on @Fuzz, it was and still is his fault for leading me on this path and all the other wallet emptying hobbies. 

2 hours ago, JohnS said:

2f47c1e00299103fa3a900228fd43592.jpg.85af99921acc803434e6f98188a5ed5a.jpg

No, @JohnS, @jay8354 is right. I am to blame for all of his money draining vices. :rotfl: And probably more in the future. :sneaky:

• Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Heels82 said:

No chew bar for the wedding?  Classless. 😋   How long did it take you after drinking the Capt. for the taste of regular Coke to come back without the reminder?  Great story!  

I haven’t drank captain Morgan since. It’s been 13 years and I’ll never drink it again 

• Like 2

My mom was a school teacher and old cigar boxes used to make for very inexpensive if not free storage containers.  This was likely before Tupperware become much of a household name.  The gents on the boxes always looked very distinguished and I fancied the faint cigar smell left in the boxes.

The above and also the fact we used to smoke hollow sticks in a small area of overgrowth next to one of the junior high schools in my neighborhood, and I used to pick up cigs on the way to and from school that still had some meat on the bone to smoke, so to speak

I figure neither of those two things hurt or killed me so I started smoking King Edwards and other grocery store cigars. Back to being distinguished now.  I was probably 16 years old when I had my first of those five and dime varietals, and within short time found my way to the Tinder Box in the mall. 

The guy didn't ID and I guess I looked old, so my first handmade was a La Unica 100 when they were sold in a bundle.  A very nice cigar as I remember.  I would return again and again for many years.

My first real Cuban was Punch around 1993 I guess.  Wouldn't smoke another authentic Havana puro until around 1998.

I still hate cigs and hollow sticks I might add :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

College room mate was a cigar smoker and he got me into it, i remember having chat deep into the night and enjoying out cigars.   i still remember the first brand i smoked, a PG (Paul Garamian)..  Then i had my first cuban on a holiday in Hong Kong, bought at the Davidoff shop in the Landmark. was hooked and never turned back.

• Like 2

@Deeg  You may get a chuckle. When I was a kid we always went to Toronto during winter break to see family. Spent a week at lake simco in January playing cards and drinking w my dad’s childhood friends. The nightly poker game had a few of the Yitz’s private label cigars. PC if I recall correctly. They were kept in the freezer to “keep them fresh”. I was maybe 13. Then 14. Then 15. Etc. 
Love the Yitz humidor. Swung by a few years ago when I was in TO. Not what it once was unfortunately. 

6 hours ago, Rhinoww said:

@Deeg  You may get a chuckle. When I was a kid we always went to Toronto during winter break to see family. Spent a week at lake simco in January playing cards and drinking w my dad’s childhood friends. The nightly poker game had a few of the Yitz’s private label cigars. PC if I recall correctly. They were kept in the freezer to “keep them fresh”. I was maybe 13. Then 14. Then 15. Etc. 
Love the Yitz humidor. Swung by a few years ago when I was in TO. Not what it once was unfortunately. 

Good times, good times.  Poker games were a big part of my cigar coming of age too.  Sadly yes, I hear Yitz’ humidor is a shadow of its former glory.  But back in the day it was like a golden wonderland to me.  Good pastrami too...

As a freshman at the high school I attended, on the last day of school it was tradition for the seniors to walk through the halls one last time, with a twist, cigars in hand and puffing throughout the school. It was so cool to me and I couldn’t wait for that moment.

By the time I was a junior, I couldn’t wait any longer. On a weekend while golfing a friend of mine had Philly Strawberry blunts (for another reason) and I asked for one. It definitely has a strawberry taste, but they are harsh as hell. 

image.jpeg.6d58fe9b8c2e7eeed0a28470b36f1f8f.jpeg

Most certainly dabbled with Swishers and Backwoods, until reaching some Drew Estate cigars. First Cuban wasn’t till much later, mid 20s.

• Like 1

My first cigar was the summer of 1981, I was 17. It was my first job, at a basque restaurant in Boise, ID called The Boarding House. My party and ski buddy Craig worked there as well. We were dishwashers at that time. Since we usually closed down on the weekend it was very late when we finished. One evening before they closed the bar, good old Craig went to the bartender and convinced him to sell us each a Wild Turkey whiskey and Garcia y Vega cigar (we were still under age, not 18 yet). We sat back in the kitchen and drank and smoked. I felt all cool and mature, and managed not to be sick. I had the odd Tiparillo or White Owl at special occasions over the next number of years, but it was not a habit or ritual, just an occurrence.

Move forward to 1998 when the cigar craze filled with steam. I was living in Ventura, California and popped into a local B&M, and after talking with the clerk settled on a Fuente 8-5-8 Flor Fina. It was absolutely divine! Fell in love with Cameroon wrappers. Bought a small desktop humi (still use it to this day), got on the mailing lists for Thompson, Holts, and JR Cigar. The die was cast. Fuente’s and Padron’s became my go to depending on the mood.

About a year later my wife and I were trying to decide where we would take our son and nephew for vacation. She being a naturalized citizen from Mexico, we decided a weekend trip to Tijuana and Ensenada. While walking the shops on Avenida Revolucíon in TJ, I saw the La Casa del Habano. I went in, perused the selections with a tight budget, and decided on a Monte No. 4. What an awesome cigar that was.  I fell in love with Cubans!

Damage was done. I migrate back and forth between NC and CC, and love them all. I’m sure I’ll never smoke all I’ve collected, even if I stop buying today. 😉

Sadly, my old buddy Craig died of a heart attack this last May at the age of 57. So many memories with him, so many wonderful adventures that will not be regaled here (some can’t be told as the statue of limitations may still be in effect, Ha!). Smoked a CoRo in his honor, wishing he was there with me. Every time I smoked a cigar over the years I always remember that Garcia y Vega with my buddy Craig…

• Like 3

My first nice cigar was a college graduation ritual with a bunch of friends. After that I started wandering in to a Tinder Box every few months or so for an Ashton. A doctor I knew loved them so I started there. But this really became a hobby for me after we had our first son, got a backyard and it became my free time to relax while he napped. Those precious moments coupled with my love for super tasting all things food related like wine, coffee, olive oil, barbecue, herbs/spices…cigars easily fell into the mix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

My first CC was Cohiba Siglo II Tubo in 2015. I was at one of the famous cigar lounges (permanently closed) and its staffs recommended me to try Cohiba Siglo II Tubo when I asked which CC is good for newbies. I never had any tobacco products before, but I really enjoyed the flavour profile of Cohiba Siglo II Tubo a lot. Since then, I began to puff other CCs one by one such as H. Upmann Magnum 46 and CORO in various local CC B&Ms. Soon, I noticed the CCs in local CC B&Ms were always too wet and spongy for my taste, so I decided to hop in FOH and buy 24:24 CCs all the time 😃.

Nowadays, I have lots of Korean FOH disciples and I turned them into a big fan of 24:24 CCs (Connie A became their staples). I wish I can resume FOH members' beloved Kimfessions Series soon (Korean government announced that the COVID vaccine reservation for people in 19-49 begins from 17th of August; they'll be jabbed with Pfizer and Moderna from 26th of August onward, which is absolutely good for me) 😄!

• Like 2

I was 17 if I remember rightly. I was an apprentice car mechanic at the time and the company I was working for was throwing a Christmas party at a hotel. One could still smoke indoors then. 

I was already on my way to youthful drunkenness when one of the directors, a twin who dressed like a Kray, offered to buy us all a drink.

I stood next to him at the bar as he ordered. He decided to get himself a cigar, a decent one - I remember it costing £9 (this was probably in 2000) although I have no idea what it was other than to say it was Cuban. It was possibly an H. Upmann. I cheekily asked if I could have one as well. He smiled and asked me if I was sure. I was. And he obliged. I smoked it to a nub and think I probably inhaled the whole thing.

This was the beginning of a very expensive hobby which I couldn’t really afford and barely can now, but it’s been infinitely worth it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I was a teenager during the cigar boom when I was given a Phillies. I loved the feeling of smoking a cigar. I smoked Backwoods here and there for the next ten years until a friend gave me an Ashton Magnum. It was an entirely new enjoyment. Cubans began about five years ago when I learn more about them.  I have always been grateful to have such a simple luxury in my life.

• Like 1