MONTECRISTO NO. 2 ‘s (fake?)

Hi y’all!

Ive read thru a lot of posts on here and based upon those have a few questions I hope y’all will suffer thru answering with me.

I’m on vacation and looking at some MONTECRISTO NO. 2‘s at a local seller here. They have a fair amount of good reviews (the seller) on google/TripAdvisor. They offered a pretty steep price for 1, but a *decent* discount for a box of 25. I’m out of the US for awhile so *might* get a box.

I had a look at the open cigars, and the 2 boxes sealed the seller had on hand. He offered that if I bought a box we could crack it open and inspect it on the spot to make sure things were on the up and up.

I got some quick pics at the time, but will go back sans wife to get a slightly better look and pics. I alas didn’t get the best shot of the micro-serial spots on the *top* of the box label. (I’ll post pics I got)

One of my main concerns is that when I look at the pics I see a few boxes he has with the same serial #.

I ran the # of course, and it says it’s Cuban, but not the MONTECRISTO NO. 2. I do see from reading here that *sometimes* the verification site might be a bit wonky. He had a box of RyJ’s on top of the MC’s that had a label with the same # on it I see in my pics later.

Short question: is duplicate serial #’s a huge red flag? TYIA (or is it Cuba being Cuba) seller has excellent feedback online and has been established locally for a min or two. Seems to do most business selling 1 off too tourists. 

*also I know I neglected to get a pic of the right montecristo from an open box, duhhh!*

E822E104-F3B0-42DE-880B-5388878E5D0B.jpeg

CE8F916F-BE37-4392-982F-FF53EDE75569.jpeg

95BEC3C3-EB11-4F06-BC9E-D0FC5D03D7E3.jpeg

8FC90F46-68B8-4D05-A809-8AA36FC1F766.jpeg

B23C15CB-985E-40FA-8CFF-ABC6F730346F.jpeg

8C4EE473-90FC-4A4A-8F4B-C1ED595E2D96.jpeg

0AE1E348-A294-44CC-BC52-4AF760BC4AEE.jpeg

9D8CC9F6-02ED-48C2-A567-E8B8AF6C644E.jpeg

3A817776-ED62-4A02-8EEB-1FD0868E74D4.jpeg

3B5A79CC-288F-48B7-89E3-709CB64AAC08.jpeg

92F2598B-9332-493E-A7D2-741A217C61DD.jpeg

CA6C2D87-3B06-4B51-B1AE-CADFB8BC5A9A.jpeg

• Facelessspirit changed the title to MONTECRISTO NO. 2 ‘s (fake?)

Why didn't you use the blacklight on the back of the bands to see the MC?

The lack of a hologram on the seal concerns me, as does that whacky font they used for the factory and date stamp.

I haven't even checked the number on the seal, but I'd stay away from these.

Edit: do those only have a large single cap? Aren't they supposed to be triple capped? 

• Like 1

I’ll go back tonight and ask if he has a black light to verify the MC.

there are holograms on all the labels, I didn’t do the best job photographing the MC ones, but I got some snaps that include the RyJ one and the Hoyo ones he had. I’ll try for better pics of the MCs too! (I’ll attach the holos I have to this reply. 

I’ll also get better pics of the MC#2s he has open! (Pictured are MCs but not #2s)

thanks for your feedback!!

8170E1EE-CE00-4110-AF26-D3833F81C8D0.jpeg

4AA3CD51-A3D4-4C51-B245-C7CAED23A7FC.jpeg

89BF29A7-0675-4E49-B8F9-0116B358370A.jpeg

B5D6BA03-168A-4FF5-A6CA-0E87ED731900.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Meesterjojo said:

Why didn't you use the blacklight on the back of the bands to see the MC?

The lack of a hologram on the seal concerns me, as does that whacky font they used for the factory and date stamp.

I haven't even checked the number on the seal, but I'd stay away from these.

Edit: do those only have a large single cap? Aren't they supposed to be triple capped? 

I also have the exact same thought as @Meesterjojo, since the stamp on that box is obviously different from legit ones.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Facelessspirit said:

I’ll go back tonight and ask if he has a black light to verify the MC.

there are holograms on all the labels, I didn’t do the best job photographing the MC ones, but I got some snaps that include the RyJ one and the Hoyo ones he had. I’ll try for better pics of the MCs too! (I’ll attach the holos I have to this reply. 

I’ll also get better pics of the MC#2s he has open! (Pictured are MCs but not #2s)

thanks for your feedback!!

8170E1EE-CE00-4110-AF26-D3833F81C8D0.jpeg

4AA3CD51-A3D4-4C51-B245-C7CAED23A7FC.jpeg

89BF29A7-0675-4E49-B8F9-0116B358370A.jpeg

B5D6BA03-168A-4FF5-A6CA-0E87ED731900.jpeg

Sorry, not holograms, but the images that should appear when you use a blacklight on the seal. I don't see it at all. And there should be a shield crest in the middle and each of the four corners should have a dot thing that appears under a blacklight. 

I still wouldn't touch any of these. 

There's no lcdh where you are?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Identical warranty seals on different boxes?  Come on, that's as bad as it gets.  Also, that doesn't appear to be a hologram on the warranty seal, it looks like pressed foil to give the appearance of a hologram.  In addition, as mentioned above, factory code is a mess.  Walk away

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It also appears from your pics that all brands have the same exact date/factory code on the box which would be very unlikely I would think.  Plus its just a common stamp, likely purchased from stamps.com...if there is such a place.  I would walk, especially with no triple caps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wise to pass on that shop. Too many red flags.

Along with what other’s shared regarding discrepancies, the color of the security sticker is too light of green. The bands on the Montecristo look suspect as well. The Flor de Lis doesn’t look correct.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Facelessspirit said:

Follow up. I know not to post here, but should I leave low-star and informed reviews of google and trip advisor for the shop selling the fakes?

Absolutely yes in my opinion.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah...dont even have to see anything else after seeing the factory code and box date lol.  One thing i notice alot of folks don't seem to factor in with serial numbers is that they're typically sequential.  Obviously, there's a BUNCH of other factors here at play that there's no need to even run it, but in other cases where there's less obvious signs of foul play, the serial number can be used to approximate the era of production within a few months accuracy typically.  A February 2021 box would no doubt begin with "00005".  Legit "00003" serials ended in mid 2018.  This isnt always perfect, but you'll NEVER see a serial number from a previous batch surface on a current box.  You sometimes see older boxes with newer codes bc they were likely sitting in the HSA warehouse for a time before they received a warranty seal & were exported.  Just wanted to throw that in there next time there's a box in question.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1