Fonseca Fonseca No. 1 - 2020 (OYMRW2)

Nice review and pictures. I agree with you on the smoking time being a tad quicker on these lonsdales compared to the fuller bodied examples. I find that I'm able to get through the Fonseca a little quicker generally. Though in so saying I did on my last example hit one that was unusually stronger than all others I've had.

Ah interesting! Very intrigued by the return of the oatmeal note. I had one of these in a FOH sampler, date and year code unknown, and also ordered a 2014 box in the recent sale. Mine is ARG NOV14 - what is yours? And how long are you going to let them rest? I was thinking a month before trying one.

Turns out I have two boxes, I've got an MTS JUL 20 that's been resting for about 5 months and an ARG NOV 14 (same as you) that I received earlier this week. I'll probably give it 6 months before I try one from the ARG NOV 14. That's just my personal preference based on my experience, but I've found that even after 3 months of rest flavors still feel a bit muted, whereas at 5-6 months they're where I want them to be.

3 hours ago, patrickamory said:

Wow six months. That's going to be tough. But I'll try!

Don't take my word for it! I can wait 6 months now because I have built up a good collection of Cubans over the course of the last almost year now, and still have a lot of non-Cubans that I enjoy and can smoke while I wait.

When I only had a few boxes of Cubans, I was definitely smoking through them with much less rest, and that's what also helped me develop my own personal preferences as to how much rest I like before dipping into a box.

Okay, both good and bad with the ARG NOV14 ROTT. 

IMG_6293.JPG.f3f88972e974aec3677bb18d9fb8c5ec.JPG

Started with a nice nutty, slightly sweet flavor, some hay. Ash beautiful, draw just right. In the first third some notes of freshly shelled peas. Definitely a floral, garden-y smoke.

In the second third, the oatmeal appeared. At first I couldn't ID this new flavor, and then I recalled @philipl's review at the top of this thread. Really lovely.

IMG_6294.JPG.75e11f0b7e23499cc99d941c39461d32.JPG

In the final third, the trouble began with some serious canoe action after the first ash drop. It looked like it would repair itself sitting in the ashtray but got worse and worse until tunneling began and the stick went out. In despair, I cut the entire ash off, but could see tunneling even in the unburned portion. Relit with some difficulty but the magic was gone - slightly bitter and burned even after a purge - and went out again shortly thereafter.

IMG_6299.JPG.ca268d75a86624087152d47f7ac64954.JPG

90 minutes, paired with a Chilean cabernet. Lovely for the first part of the smoke. Hopefully the rest of the box doesn't have construction issues! :)

• Like 3