Lusitania Quality

Hey FoH,

Has the quality of Lusitanias been consistent over the past decade?  Is buying blind ok or ill-advised?  I've heard that HDMDC and Sir Winstons are all consistently high quality because the respective brands want to maintain the reputation of that cigar.  Do Lusis fall in that category as well?

As a side question, which cigars are you comfortable buying blind?

Thanks!

I would only buy blind sir winstons because beggars can't be choosers or things like Cola or monte especial 1 and 2. Even then there are no guarantees. I've seen some partagas lusis that I would not have bought on purpose before. 

I’ve only been buying these since 2016, but I would say they are among the most consistent cigars coming out of Cuba. My theory is that everyone knows they are making these for enthusiasts, and it’s also the jewel in Partagas’ crown. 

These are hand made products, so sometimes the quality is poor. 

For Lusi, they are mostly consistent. 

However, if you are buying blind, you need to have a level of trust with the seller.

I don't think Lusis have really hit a rough patch in quite a while to my recollection. Been pretty reliable for at least 3-4 years. The last one I had maybe 2 years ago was good. I wouldn't have too much hesitation buying them blind (although at the moment there aren't many cigars at all I hesitate buying blind. 19-21 production has been very reliable across the board.)

It’s been a mixed bag for me, specifically referring to draw issues. Latest box seems ok. My lightly aged box (‘16) is ok too. But I’ve bought a 6-pack where all of them were plugged. Not a firm draw. I mean pluuggggeed.  Whether you get them here or blind, you just won’t know til you’ve cut it. 

I'd say one can buy Luci's with confidence from trusted sources and get good boxes of stogeez. My only complaint out of 4 25ct boxes was I had one box with 2 cigars that had green chlorophyll in the edge of a wrapper that also needed a little attention with glue after I lifted it out for inspection on one. The rest of the box made up for it with being very oily good looking cigars. With that, I cannot say in line with the OP's question if the construction quality is on par with the Sir Winnie. That said though, I have been able to grab myself 4 boxes of Lucis during my shopping spree Jan-Mar 2021 and could have gotten several more with 0 Boxes of SW's or HDM DC's scored since then that were on my list.