The tomato-forward tipple everyone loves to tweak

By STEVE RUSSELL

July 8, 2021

•  
  •  
cocktail-bloodymary-1100x1100.png

ILLUSTRATION: DERIK HOBBS

Watch how to make a Bloody Mary

History: The sixteenth-century English monarch Mary Tudor is infamous for burning at the stake hundreds of religious heretics… Oh, you were wondering about the history of the Bloody Mary cocktail, not the first queen of England to rule in her own right? Fair enough, but this origin is no less clouded by time and schisms. Some swear that bartender Fernand Petiot introduced sallow vodka to sexy tomato juice in 1921 at Harry’s New York Bar in Paris, a hangout for the likes of Hemingway and Bogart, and perhaps dubbed the union after the aforementioned wrathful queen, or more convolutedly, after a waitress at notorious Chicago dive Bucket of Blood. Petiot eventually crossed the Atlantic to bartend at New York’s St. Regis Hotel, where the cocktail’s moniker was briefly and absurdly changed to Red Snapper, but the formula otherwise improved by the addition of hot sauce for a Russian prince who desired a spicier kick.

But forget all that, because others insist that vaudeville comedian George Jessel, aka the “Toastmaster General of the United States,” invented the whole shebang to salve his society pals’ collective hangover while on a Roaring Twenties rager in Palm Beach. That Florida angle grants Southerners a smidgen of provenance on the world’s most robust day drink, but pfffft, we’d claim full title even if the origin were irrefutably traced to a Mesopotamian cave wall. After all, you can’t make a real Bloody without our hot sauce, and pickled okra kicks celery’s anemic tail as garnish. Plus, Museum of the American Cocktail curator Liz Williams contends that we also originated brunch—a Bloody’s natural habitat—at a New Orleans restaurant that catered to market workers seeking their first sustenance at mid-morning. “We like them especially in the morning,” Williams says, “because they give you nutrients, and it doesn’t feel like you’re drinking.” So there, the Bloody Mary is Southern. Prove us wrong and we’ll pitcher the next purchase—oh, you know what we mean.

Mixologist Tip: Master the “slow roll,” rather than a shake, to keep the tomato juice from going too thin.

Variations: Beyond all the riffing on spicy elements and garnishes, booze it with tequila for a Bloody Maria, or sub Clamato for tomato juice for a Bloody Caesar.

INGREDIENTS

•  

• 2 oz. vodka

• ½ cup V8 or tomato juice

• 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice

• 1 tsp. fresh lime juice

• 1 tsp. prepared horseradish

• 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

• 1 tsp. hot sauce (Tabasco or Crystal)

• Pinch celery salt

PREPARATION

• Combine vodka, tomato juice, lemon juice, lime juice, horseradish, Worcestershire, hot sauce, and celery salt in shaker.

• Roll shaker from side to side about 10 times.

• Pour over pint glass filled with ice.

• Shake on extra celery salt if desired and garnish according to preference (and hunger).

• Like 3

Back in the day when I drank I had a buddy that owned a really good breakfast restaurant. He didn’t have a liquor license but would offer me a tomato juice special. Talk about thinning the tomato juice, it was barely pale pink. 🥴  That was pretty rough. I did enjoy a well made Bloody Mary and this recipe looks pretty spot on and Tabasco is the perfect hot sauce for it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chibearsv said:

Back in the day when I drank I had a buddy that owned a really good breakfast restaurant. He didn’t have a liquor license but would offer me a tomato juice special. Talk about thinning the tomato juice, it was barely pale pink. 🥴  That was pretty rough. I did enjoy a well made Bloody Mary and this recipe looks pretty spot on and Tabasco is the perfect hot sauce for it. 

yep. looks a pretty good one to me as well. 

6 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

No Clamato?  Need some clam juice in that bloody mary! 

not a style i am fond of, but i would argue that the clam juice's greatest contribution is the umami character and you'll get plenty of that with the worchestershire sauce and the tomato. so i think that if you like the flavour the clam adds, terrific. if you don't, you do not miss out. 

Love me some Caesars!! (Made with Motts Clamato)

The Keg Rimmer on the glass.

Squish a lime in, with plenty of ice.

2oz of vodka (Ketel One or Belevedre)

Worscestershire sauce, tobasco or Frank’s Buffalo sauce.

Spoonful of Horseradish

Drizzle of extreme bean pickle juice

Toss one or two Hot Extreme beans in the glass

Salt and pepper

Stir and enjoy. (At 10am )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

Quick recipe when you need one with 2 children running around on Sunday morning:

2 ounces vodka, ten dashes Tabasco, 4 dashes Worcestershire, squeeze lime wedge and drop in bottom of glass. Add ice then top with Tabasco brand original (not spicy) bloody Mary mix. Dash of black pepper on top and throw in a few olives. Done and delicious 

• Thanks 1

On 7/23/2021 at 8:02 PM, Chibearsv said:

it was barely pale pink

No bueno, the pink bloody is a risky proposition.

As for the Garden and Gun video, I prefer some more garnish on that rim. Give me the pickled veggies and crustaceans.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...