Tossing around the QD 54?

The 54 has been such a winner for HSA. Actually both the 54 and the 50 but since the 54 hit the market in 2019, it has rarely stayed on shelves anywhere in the world.  Now it is a very good cigar but there are few cigars that have garnered such a following so quickly.  Let’s face it, QD was almost dead and buried with one cigar in the line-up at the time and it was struggling outside of connoisseur circles. 

What is the magic recipe that made the QD 54 such an instant and apparently enduring hit?

Quai D'Orsay 54.jpg

• Like 2

I wish there was a some secret sauce that made it good. I tried a 54 over the winter and did not have any urge to buy anymore. I bought a 10 count box of 50s before trying one because I heard good things, but after trying one I really am not looking to try another one for a long time, if ever.

I wish I had a perfect memory. 

Before the Toronto LCDH closed they told me of the story of the QdO revitalization. 

Something about QD getting a good amount of high quality leaf due to some promise (this is the part I recall less). QDO got a quantity of above average leaf that they used for the rebirth of the brand. But they told me it was only enough leaf to roll so much, and that after a year, the quality of the blend changed. They advised the leaf used in the second half of 2020 wasn't the same as what was originally used. 

I have zero idea how accurate this info was, but the source is pretty legit. 

I think the slowdown in popularity, and some recent comments I've read that say the latest QD's aren't as good as the first couple runs may support that theory. 

Then again, it's Cuba. Anything is possible. 

A flashy revamp and two new popular-sized regular production models will certainly help your brand. I believe they could do the same with several brands and see success.

And it seems they've done a good job with the blends although I'm not a fan. They are quite different than the Coronas which I prefer.

In a nutshell, fullness of flavour. To my mind, they made sure to get quality seco leaf for those releases. We know this because although QdO 50s and 54s aren't always 'on song', they never seem to be bland. Of course marketing/re-branding helps but the flavour profile updates that went with it ensured that the hype has continued.

I love the 50 and 54, different strokes I guess. The 50 can smoke hot but when sipped is one of the most flavor packed sticks going IMO. I think the hype is justified especially at normal pricing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I found the old QD Corona to be very bland and too mild. I bought a 10 of QD 54 , only smoked 1 in the past year, and it was tastier and a bit stronger than the Corona, but light cigars just aren’t for me. I am anxious to try another QD 54 but I don’t count on loving it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lrabold89 said:

Is this for real? It’s only my opinion but the 54 to me is mediocre at best

I'm not a fan of either myself, but obviously there are a lot of people who disagree. Sales numbers are all that matter I suppose. 

8 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I'm not a fan of either myself, but obviously there are a lot of people who disagree. Sales numbers are all that matter I suppose. 

Every Cigar they make is selling like hotcakes right now. Good, Bad. Big, Small. None of it actually matters right now. They rolled a TON of these to push the the "relaunch" so there are plenty available, so they sell.

In the current market, I don't think high sales are a great indicator of success.(for a particular vitola or "marca") People are literally buying everything they can get there hands on at whatever price they need to pay. Its not exactly a healthy or sustainable market. I cringe when I think of the millions of wonderful cigars purchased over the last 18 months, that will quickly start accumulating dust like all the Peleton bikes and exercise equipment every one "had to have" when the pandemic started. We're booming now, but we will be busting again in the future. Lets see how the 5 dozen nearly identical cigars in the Habanos range fair then. 

23 minutes ago, Chibearsv said:

They're pretty, taste pretty good, and were reasonably priced.  They're getting priced too high now for what they are.  I'd certainly rather have a box of Sig III for a few extra bucks vs QdO 54.

True that! 

also a different price point to start. 

for the cost, they were considered an above average cigar (clearly, by the popularity). As costs appear to have increased (disproportionately) compared to other cigars, the above average cigar appears to become only average (or dare I say, below average). 

• Like 2

They're pretty, taste pretty good, and were reasonably priced.  They're getting priced too high now for what they are.  I'd certainly rather have a box of Sig III for a few extra bucks vs QdO 54.

You are telling me. A cheap cigar in Cuba, cheaper than almost all other marca. 66.00 for a 10ct for 54s in Cuba. Why they are much more than other marcas that are more expensive in Cuba doesn’t make much sense to me.
Plus the hike hurts, I recall my all psp 25ct box of 54 being 249-259. Now almost 400. Yikes. I agree, I am getting cohiba over them all day for that price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Well, I suppose technically speaking is a cigar. I charred a 50 to about halfway before I decided I would get more out of searching for nude photos of Rosie O'Donnell. The cigar was severely underfilled, started out at paper-bag with mild tobacco flavor, then opened up to bitter paper bag. I had to double check that there was no cedar sleeve that I had accidentally been smoking instead of a cigar. It was dreadful, and by feel, 7-8 more if them from the box are missing half the tobacco. I won't be buying anymore. The hype intrigued me, the reality infuriated me.

• Like 2