Do you think he knows.....

I've never seen the "blank" in the middle of the bottom row before either. Haha.

The loose sticker thing is soo odd to me. You see otherwise very well faked boxes(maybe real actual boxes if you see them in Cuba) and they top it off with the biggest red flag possible. You think they'd learn, but I'm happy they haven't. 

At some point I expect to see a box, some stickers, 3 bags of tobacco and 25 wrappers. If your going to make it a "do it yourself" why not go all the way?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Hammer Smokin' said:

what is the market for these cigars? 

who is buying them?

The millions of new cigar smokers that are minted every year. Even more in the last 18 months than maybe any 18 month period, ever. 

They are also extremely common in Cuba. Everyone has a connection for this kind of cigar down there. From the kid screaming at you on the malecon, to your Casa Owner or housekeeper, to Taxi Drivers and bartenders. Every body has a Brother, uncle, etc. that works at El Laquito. That factory must have 12-15 thousand employees. 🤣

Thats often the reason given as to why the labels aren't affixed. "It came straight from the QC room" "They didnt get a chance to put them on."

I must be living in the clouds. I don't know a single person who has started smoking cigars. 

I know current cigar smokers, due to having extra cash, are spending more than ever buying cigar "stock". 

But I sure wasn't aware of millions of new cigars that are minted every year. 

I wonder if there is any countries that this is maybe more common? It's not surprising Canada isn't doing this. Tobacco is considered the devil, and certainly we aren't seeing an uptick in cigar smokers. Spain? China? 

24 minutes ago, Hammer Smokin' said:

Spain? China? 

China certainly and it hasn't yet touched the surface.  US same (in terms of CC)

Middle east, parts of Asia. 

4 hours ago, Chas.Alpha said:

At some point I expect to see a box, some stickers, 3 bags of tobacco and 25 wrappers. If your going to make it a "do it yourself" why not go all the way?

That is a deconstructed cigar. All the rage with hipsters.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hammer Smokin' said:

I must be living in the clouds. I don't know a single person who has started smoking cigars. 

I know current cigar smokers, due to having extra cash, are spending more than ever buying cigar "stock". 

But I sure wasn't aware of millions of new cigars that are minted every year. 

I wonder if there is any countries that this is maybe more common? It's not surprising Canada isn't doing this. Tobacco is considered the devil, and certainly we aren't seeing an uptick in cigar smokers. Spain? China? 

I'm in tons of private FB groups in the states, I see new guys come into the CC fold daily. People are always looking for their next obsession.

I guess that makes sense.

While illegal (apparently) the USA is a hotbed of simple tax free cuban cigar purchases.

The lack of legality probably makes it more attractive to the young instagrammer.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hammer Smokin' said:

what is the market for these cigars? 

who is buying them?

In terms of us Canadians, it's tourists going to Cuba. I bought a box of fake Esplendidos with some friends about 15 years ago for $50. Most of my friends got fake Robustos. I think it was the same price.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

The loose sticker thing is soo odd to me. You see otherwise very well faked boxes(maybe real actual boxes if you see them in Cuba) and they top it off with the biggest red flag possible. You think they'd learn, but I'm happy they haven't. 

Baffles me as well. Some of the best fakes I've seen share two things in common: loose stickers and missing box codes. And they also don't use real bands, although the bands can be very, very good fakes (especially Cohiba.) 

I've come across Cohiba Genios in Mexico that looked so darn good I couldn't believe it. Box itself looked perfect. Wax paper, cedar divider, note card--everything. Of course loose stickers and no box code and the bands were fake but excellent. The cigars looked fantastic and were rolled well.

The guy gave me one. I smoked it. It was awful and became soft and mushy quickly. Here's the band:

IMAG1487.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Some of the best fakes I've seen share two things in common: loose stickers and missing box codes.

Same here. I think some of the packaging may slip out the back of factories or LCDH's when they fill singles trays, it looks that good/accurate. But as you said, despite nailing 70% of it, they intentionally, completely blow it with the last 30%. Good for us that they havent figured it out yet, I hope they dont. 

28 minutes ago, FrancisK7 said:

Have you ever guys ever seen counterfeit Sir Winstons or anything other than a fake Cohiba? It all seems to be fake Cohibas. 

I've seen plenty of fake Monte's(especially before they added the gold in the badns) as well as the occasional RyJ. But I cant remember seeing any Regular production H. Upmann Fakes. Im sure they exist though. I think Cohiba is probably 80-90% of the fakes market, with Monte and RyJ making up 80% of the "non Cohiba" portion. If you looked hard enough though, you could probably find fakes in most of the outstanding marca's.

3 hours ago, FrancisK7 said:

Have you ever guys ever seen counterfeit Sir Winstons or anything other than a fake Cohiba? It all seems to be fake Cohibas. 

Depends in Cuba it's almost all Cohiba. But elsewhere in the Caribbean etc. There's many Monte and RyJ. Potentially others. Now that I think of it I remember some fake Lusitanias on the suspect forum.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

I cant remember seeing any Regular production H. Upmann Fakes.

I have seen fake "samplers" that included H. Upmanns, usually in a non-existent size.  😀

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Heels82 said:

You sound jealous.  Watch some Ted Lasso and we'll circle the wagons.  

what country wouldn't be? Many Canadians tried to take advantage of it by setting up PO boxes in border towns (Buffalo NY in my case). But the border closure really threw a wrench in that plan. I find it ironic that one of the major 'growth' countries has the product as illegal. 

• Like 1

In the age of information, when a cursory 10 minutes on The www can teach you so much, how do people still get so easily suckered by fakes, at least by the really obvious ones? I mean, if you'd never smoked a cigar in your life but woke up tomorrow morning and decided it was a world that you wanted to look into, you'd do your research first, wouldn't you?? Ehh, perhaps that's easy to say from the vantage point that most of us here enjoy today. Perhaps it happens a lot easier than I might realise.

2 hours ago, Vortigan said:

In the age of information, when a cursory 10 minutes on The www can teach you so much, how do people still get so easily suckered by fakes, at least by the really obvious ones? I mean, if you'd never smoked a cigar in your life but woke up tomorrow morning and decided it was a world that you wanted to look into, you'd do your research first, wouldn't you?? 

If you follow the Reddit discussions it becomes clear that a large number of victims of fakes are Americans on vacation in Mexico or the Caribbean or cruises to those places.    They are usually bought by friends/relatives who know nothing about cigars (never heard of fakes) and think they will be a great surprise gift to the one cigar smoker in the family who is back in the states.     

Many of the other purchasers are young Americans going south to partee who have no clue about anything....  

This whole thing kinda reminds me of one of my other hobbies, science fiction books.    The average person thinks that is Star Trek or Star Wars or something--totally clueless.    I am convinced that Dunning-Kruger (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect) about just about anything is the real pandemic out there.    😀

• Like 3